2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If we walk out of the draft with anyone other than the #1 QB, then this draft is nothing short of an unmitigated FAILURE. 

What are we deeming as the #1 QB? Who the national media/national scouts say is QB1or who Dorsey and Co. think is QB1. I just want them to draft a QB with the #1 pick. Doing so, just shows that the Browns got their QB. They didnt let anyone else dictate their draft or future plans. GET YOUR GUY!

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The idea of moving on from Kizer after 1 year is hilarious, and it would be a mistake.

Mike White over Kizer...lol.

No one wants to believe it to be true, but there is a legitimate chance Deshone Kizer actually gets better over the next 2 years.

If that's the case and he's still on the team, he might get the first crack at being the starter after the bridge QBs time comes to an end.

And in what would be a shocker to most...Kizer may grab hold of the starting position and never let go.

In general, it would be a huge mistake to cut Kizer or trade him for later than 2nd round pick all because Dorsey would want two of his guys and/or Hue was so disgusted by the his first year.

Both Dorsey and Hue know how valuable of an asset Kizer is on a 3-4 year contract. So, ultimately they hold onto him to let him develop.

New GM new players. Dorsey is rumored to be really high on White. 

56 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Patience man. Maybe it goes how you expect...maybe it doesn't.

The difference with Kizer and the #1 overall picks that you mentioned is that in their 2nd year they were still seen as the QBOTF. Kizer will be the backup QBOTF in all likelihood. I would hang on to him but wouldn't have a problem if we didn't, let someone else try to turn him into a legit NFL starter we'll probably use most of our developing resources on another QB anyway.

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

What are we deeming as the #1 QB?

Literally the best QB in the draft.

Who the national media/national scouts say is QB1or who Dorsey and Co. think is QB1.

I just want them to draft a QB with the #1 pick.

So Josh Allen then? JT Barrett? Any QB at all with the #1 pick will do?

Doing so, just shows that the Browns got their QB. They didnt let anyone else dictate their draft or future plans. GET YOUR GUY!

Get THE BEST GUY.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

So Josh Allen then? JT Barrett? Any QB at all with the #1 pick will do?

Get THE BEST GUY.

Your idea of best guy and Dorsey’s may be different.  They may not.

19 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Your idea of best guy and Dorsey’s may be different.  They may not.

I'm sure they are different. He seems like the kind of guy with the intelligence level of a doorknob that would take Josh Allen at #1 overall.

mHWG2Z2.gif

On 1/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, Mind Character said:

Yeah..that's not a shortsighted take at all. Lol.

A late round pick....cut him...Oh yeah...let's definitely do that...hahaha

Classic.

-------------------------------------------------

It doesn't feel good, but you really really have to just wait and see with these things.

Tons more examples, but here's a few of precedence.

In 9 games, Alex Smith was 50.9% // 875 yards passing // 103 yards rushing // 1 (one) TD Passing // 0 TDs rushing; // 11 INTs // 11 Fumbles // TO/TD - 22/1 - Ratio 22:1

With Calvin Johnson, in just 10 games Matthew Stafford was 53.3% // 2,267 yards // 108 yards rushing // 13 TDs Passing // 2 TDs rushing; // 21 INTs // 4 Fumbles // TO/TD - 25/15 - Ratio 1.67:1

With NOT Calvin Johnson, in 15 games Deshone Kizer was 53.6% // 2,894 yards passing // 419 yards rushing // 11 TDs Passing // 5 TDs rushing // 22 INTs // 9 Fumbles // TO/TD - 32/16 - Ratio 2:1

In 11 games, John Elway was 47.5% // 1,663 yards passing // 146 yards rushing // 7 TDs Passing // 1 TDs rushing; // 14 INTs // 12 Fumbles // TO/TD - 26/8 - Ratio 3.25: 1

--------------------------------------------------

"A Look At Matthew Stafford’s Rookie Season And The Importance Of Not Giving Up On Rookie Quarterbacks"

http://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/lucas-walker/2017/12/30/look-matthew-staffords-rookie-season-importance-not-giving-rookie-quarterbacks/

-------------------------------------------------

There sooo many rookie players that have awful and horrid rookie seasons a various positions QB included that have the FO and coaches thinking the player is a lost cause...all to be rectified in their 2nd or sometimes even their 3rd year.

I'm glad you're not our GM, but honestly I'd love to see you as an NFL GM; it would be entertaining

All the rookies that struggle would be cut.

It doesn't look good at this point and it SEEMS to be a certainty regarding how things will shake out, but it really really isn't a certainty.

You would've probably wanted to cut Stafford or Alex Smith, or Goff...so on and so on.

------------------------------------------------

I lived in Detroit for work Matthew Stafford's rookie year. Sports radio was electrically miserable. Grade A yelling, screaming, and catostrophic thinking about their rookie QB that they took number 1 overall. Every other day it was he can't play in the league...he's a bum...etc. He threw 21 INTs in 10 games...10 GAMES. Redzone INTs by Stafford were legendarily insane.

We're talking about 21 year old players and with Kizer a player with rare ability/skills that were displayed multiple times on the field along with terrible terrible catastrophic mistakes.

Patience man. Maybe it goes how you expect...maybe it doesn't.

Honestly don't care what those other guys did or didn't do and how it compares to DeShone Kizer. Kizer has always been a garbage option. Didn't like him as a prospect either. Now after some statistical studying I found out just how bad Kizer was as a prospect. The guy is anti clutch and was his entire Notre Dame career. He simply doesn't not have it in him to rise to the challenge. It was the case in college and as a rookie and I do not see it changing. It would be different if he proved he could do it in college before he failed as a rookie. I have no idea what Sashi was thinking when he took him in the 2nd, and I am a Sashi fan. DeShone Kizer was a 6th-7th round prospect all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

In a year with Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, the best QB1 prospects to come out in a while...we're passing on both of them for "little Favre"...

It's hard to accept it but deep down inside it's hard to wrap my head around this soon to be certain reality, but mostly how everyone will go along with it like it makes a lot of sense, and will work out in our favor quoting and posting PFF stat this and PFF stat that.

I need help from my fellow FFers to help me accept "little Favre" as reality...I just don't know if I'll ever get over passing on Darnold....and then not even selecting Rosen...

27 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

In a year with Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, the best QB1 prospects to come out in a while...we're passing on both of them for "little Favre"...

It's hard to accept it but deep down inside it's hard to wrap my head around this soon to be certain reality, but mostly how everyone will go along with it like it makes a lot of sense, and will work out in our favor quoting and posting PFF stat this and PFF stat that.

I need help from my fellow FFers to help me accept "little Favre" as reality...I just don't know if I'll ever get over passing on Darnold....and then not even selecting Rosen...

I have zero doubts it will be either Darnold or Rosen, the only reason I favour Darnold, is because Rosen has had a lot of serious injuries including a concussion and with the 1st overall pick, you do not take a chance like that.

I love Mayfield, but he is not going top 5 IMO, his height is in the range of Brees and Wilson and they represent 2/32 QB's in the NFL, that's a 6% success rate and both Brees and Wilson went in later rounds because of it, so the best Mayfield can hope for, is to go top 15. QB's with his height do not go #1 overall, so quit worrying about it.

The FO will play up Mayfield, Jackson and Allen, because they want to trade back from pick #4, but need a team willing to move up after Darnold and Rosen are off the board, otherwise they are completely stuck using the 4th Pick and if they do, it will likely be Chubb, because this draft is loaded at RB and a very solid one can be had with the 33rd pick. If the Colts take Chubb, we are up sh-t's creek, because we do not need another SS(Fitzpatrick) and drafting Barkley which we may have to do anyway, seems a waste, when RB is probably the strongest position in the 2018 draft. Remember Kamara and Hunt were 3rd rounders, so why in the world would you use the #4 pick on Barkley???

Chubb and Garrett will be our foundation for a top notch defense and we still have enough picks to fill the RB, WR and some OLmen, besides the QB we will take #1 overall and it should set up our offense for years to come.

These are my thoughts on the draft anyways, now we just have to wait to see how it all plays out.

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I love Mayfield, but he is not going top 5 IMO, his height is in the range of Brees and Wilson and they represent 2/32 QB's in the NFL, that's a 6% success rate and both Brees and Wilson went in later rounds because of it, so the best Mayfield can hope for, is to go top 15. QB's with his height do not go #1 overall, so quit worrying about it.

Vick was shorter than Mayfield and he went #1 overall, so it has happened.

As far as your 6% success rate, that isn't how math works. You'd have to find all of the QBs under 6'1 who started and see how many failed/succeeded to get that number. Tyrod Taylor is another starter who is under 6'1 that you failed to mention. Doug Flutie had success. As did Vick. It is uncommon but how many QBs failed because of their height? You have to remember just because a short QB didn't make it that doesn't necessarily mean he failed because of his height, taller QBs fail all of the time.

Is 72.5" much of a difference than 74 inches? A lot of really good to great QBs have been 6'2. Montana, Rodgers, Favre etc... It does matter a little, sorta like hand size but it has been proven QBs under 6'1 can succeed and QBs over 6'1 can fail so at most it should just be used as a tie breaker between prospects, not something that would put a Josh Allen ahead of a Baker Mayfield.

Browns have reportedly requested a private visit with Baker Mayfield. I am sure they are just doing their due diligence  and he is not the only QB that they will make this same request to.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-reportedly-request-visit-with-baker-mayfield-whom-scot-mccloughan-said-last-month-would-be-my-guy-­-hands-down

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Browns have reportedly requested a private visit with Baker Mayfield. I am sure they are just doing their due diligence  and he is not the only QB that they will make this same request to.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-reportedly-request-visit-with-baker-mayfield-whom-scot-mccloughan-said-last-month-would-be-my-guy-­-hands-down

They’ll have 1:1’s with all of the top guys I’d imagine.

Archived