Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Miami is definitely last. Numbers alone dictate that. The odds of our group ending up superior to New England's are next to nothing. The 32 was a fan expressing frustration. That's understandable but overreaction needs to be reigned in, amidst a dose of mathematical clarity. Even if subjectively we don't like the picks the fact that there are so many of them means several will pan out.

Okay dude

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Miami is definitely last. Numbers alone dictate that. The odds of our group ending up superior to New England's are next to nothing. The 32 was a fan expressing frustration. That's understandable but overreaction needs to be reigned in, amidst a dose of mathematical clarity. Even if subjectively we don't like the picks the fact that there are so many of them means several will pan out.

Eh, they had no draft capital though.  New England should be adding way more talent than they did.

I think if you go in with no first round picks, the bar is way different than for a team with multiple first round picks.  I think Goldfish is trying to rank who did the best with what they had.

• Like 5

Trading next year's first and 2024's 2nd away for an extra first in a draft that featured no elite QBs was very strange. Add in your QB is Jameis Winston, and it goes from strange to just awful management. They're still acting like Drew is the QB for some reason, trading future picks, pushing the cap armageddon down the road another year or two. Don't get it.

That defense is elite, but I can't see that roster as a whole standing up to what TB, GB, LAR will throw at them.

• Like 3

27. Cleveland Browns

List of Browns 2022 NFL draft picks

This Class In One Sentence:

A haul of maybes in a year where a certain free agency addition was the headline act in Cleveland

Pre-Draft Needs

DT, EDGE, WR, S, LB

Selections

Round 3 68. Martin Emerson  | CB | Mississippi State

Round 3 78. Alex Wright  | DE | UAB

Round 3 99. David Bell  | WR | Purdue

Round 4 108. Perrion Winfrey  | DT | Oklahoma

Round 4 124. Cade York  | K | LSU

Round 5 156. Jerome Ford  | RB | Cincinnati

Round 6 202. Michael Woods II  | WR | Oklahoma

Round 7 223. Isaiah Thomas  | DE | Oklahoma

Round 7 246. Dawson Deaton  | C | Texas Tech

What I liked:

With no first or second round selections, I like that the Browns still took nine whole swings on some maybe players. That's playing the game right. The first four selections all have stuff to like, if not fall in love with. Emerson is a lengthy press-man corner with some ability. Winfrey is super-explosive, but his tape is weird. Bell’s lack of threshold-meeting athleticism is a real concern, but man he was such a good college receiver to not think ‘maybe he just has a knack for getting open?' Is that just a thing you can't accurately measure? Who knows. Isaiah Thomas in the 7th is interesting too. 

What I didn’t like:

I mean, it’s a draft with no headline act and there’s a few of those this year – probably more than in most years with some franchises now more willing to pay expensive draft capital which was once heresy. I don’t particularly dislike the class for that reason, there’s just not much to hang your hat on. Whilst the Browns FO have hedged well with volume, if most or all of these guys were to flame out, it wouldn’t be a shock.  

Also, a 4th round kicker? Okay. Super weird that we heard so much about the Punt God and he got so badly out drafted by other kickers and punters. Funny, really.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

30. LA Rams

Sean McVay looks lit, has hilarious reaction to Patriots selecting Cole  Strange | Marca

Look, we know they don’t take the draft super seriously (and who would argue!?) and will probably find a bunch of contributors anyway because they are super-confident in their ability to coach these guys up - so let’s just get this out of the way.

Pre-Draft Needs

EDGE, CB, G, LB, S

Selections

Round 3. 104. Logan Bruss  | OG | Wisconsin

Round 4. 142. Decobie Durant  | CB | South Carolina State

Round 5. 164. Kyren Williams  | RB | Notre Dame

Round 6. 211. Quentin Lake  | S | UCLA

Round 6. 212. Derion Kendrick  | CB | Georgia

Round 7. 235. Daniel Hardy  | LB | Montana State

Round 7. 253. Russ Yeast  | S | Kansas State

Round 7. 261. A. J. Arcuri  | OT | Michigan State

What I liked:

I liked the McVay and Snead gently roasting the Cole Strange pick. Any Pats fan getting mad at that is an idiot. They were right, it was a surprise. They liked the player anyway, so who cares. I thought it was great and the NFL needs more genuine moments of fun like that. 

I quite like the Logan Bruss pick, a perfect mid-round lineman who can come in and play a role – even if that’s as the sixth dude. I liked Kyren Williams, had some James White about him – can do a role on third down. Heard decent things about Decobie Durant as a scrappy, speedy DB. I liked that they took a player called Russ Yeast, that’s one of my favorite names in this class. Russ Yeast.

What I didn’t like:

What I don’t like is that I don’t know who most of these guys are. No picks before 104, the class is a good size but the capital spent on it is paper thin. Truthfully, I haven’t spent a minute thinking about many of these dudes at all.

Well we do take the draft seriously. Just don't value first rounders like most of the rest of the league and we take advantage of that.

But we do have more drafted players than the average team.

9 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Personally like our draft. We had very few needs and addressed most all of them. Bruss will have every chance to earn the RG spot giving us 3/5 of our OL being Wisconsin guys. Hill adds a corner with experience though not part of the draft it helps a ton and we threw a lot of resources at DB depth which was needed. Williams is a very interesting 3rd down back option which likely signals this is Henderson's last year on the team.

The rest are dice rolls on depth so we'll see what happens. Nothing spectacular but a few guys that will contribute this year with Bruss, Williams and Durant and the rest if they're active on game day will be ST guys.

Yea I liked it too.

It's also worth noting that one draft that they got absolutely roasted for was the 2018 draft. Noteboom, Allen and SJD - we didn't make a pick until the third but got three plus starters, and in the case of Noteboom (who stepped in against Tampa) and Allen, we probably don't win the Super Bowl without them.

But he said it at the top of his analysis - confident in our ability to coach these guys up. People will forget to revisit this. We will keep rolling. People will keep critiquing our drafts. In the meantime, in 2-3 years it will go unnoticed that this actually turned out to be an above average draft despite not having a top 100 pick.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Also, a 4th round kicker? Okay. Super weird that we heard so much about the Punt God and he got so badly out drafted by other kickers and punters. Funny, really.

Araiza was a bit overrated by the general public.

There is a reason Stout was the first punter off the board. Much more accurate on short punts pinning teams deep than Ariaza and he doesn't quite have his punting power, but he still has a strong leg and in fact has better hang time on his punts than Araiza too which helps with allowing your coverage to get down there in time.

As far as the Browns taking a kicker in the 4th round it may have been a round early, but they got the best kicker in the draft and it has been a problem area for the Browns for about as long as I can remember. Now, I no longer have to hear my dad complaining about them not having a decent kicker. The last actual good Cleveland kicker there for multiple years was probably Phil Dawson and that was back in 2012. It's been a cool minute for them.

With that said, considering the capital the Browns had I think they did pretty well. I didn't love the value they got trading back from the first half of the 2nd round to the early 3rd round, but I think they got some nice value in some of the players they selected on day 3. It could've been a better draft, but considering they didn't have their 1st round pick and ended up not having their 2nd round pick either it turned out kinda okay for them.

• Like 2

26. Washington Commanders

Washington Commanders quarterback Carson Wentz talks on future with  Commanders, playing Eagles in 2022

A class that is difficult to hate or love, or have any real feelings at all about. A bit like the name ‘Commanders’.

Pre-Draft Needs

QB, WR, S, LB, TE

Selections

Round 1. 16. Jahan Dotson  | WR | Penn State

Round 2. 47. Phidarian Mathis  | DT | Alabama

Round 3. 98. Brian Robinson Jr.  | RB | Alabama

Round 4. 113. Percy Butler  | S | Louisiana

Round 5. 144. Sam Howell  | QB | North Carolina

Round 5. 149. Cole Turner  | TE | Nevada

Round 7. 230. Chris Paul  | OG | Tulsa

Round 7. 240. Christian Holmes  | CB | Oklahoma State

What I liked:

I liked the trade back with New Orleans to get a third and a fourth. I like Dotson quite a bit, a natural route runner with incredible hands – but those size and play strength concerns will linger until he proves otherwise. Sam Howell in round 5 looks way better than Sam Howell any earlier than that. But poor guy, man, he should have gone back to school. Still, if Carson sucks (haha ‘if’), it makes a lot of sense to give this guy his shot to nothing. I liked the Cole Turner pick in the 5th, I do like think he could become a red zone problem with a little luck.

What I didn’t like:

Outside of the questionable value of Dotson at 16, it’s a draft short on fireworks. Mathis is a decent-ish add to slide into a front-seven which is clearly the team’s energy source. But there were some good players available at other positions at 47, and to be honest, better players at his. Similarly, Brian Robinson Jr in the third is not great – just not in love the value there for a guy who doesn’t impact the game in more facets than running hard. Percy Butler feels overdrafted, some really good safeties came off the board between picks 47-98 and that was the time to get your man.

Man, I don’t want to be disrespectful, I think I just shut down thinking about this class. My mind went to sleep and I carried on typing. Seriously, if you do struggle with insomnia – just scan through those names a few times. It will really chill you out.

• Like 3

Two things my mind picked up from this thread. 1. The Cleveland Browns drafted Das Wunderkind Alex Wright (true WWE/WWF fans know) 2. Jahan Dotson was drafted with the pick the Colts traded to the Eagles for Carson Wentz and by trade logic: Colts->Eagles->Saints->Conmanders he’ll be catching passes from Carson Wentz. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

The Cleveland Browns drafted Das Wunderkind Alex Wright

entrance-1.gif

Straight out of Casa Del Frosty Balls

Given what they had I think the Browns did a decent job.  Emerson was good value and could develop into a starter, Winfrey is a good piece to throw into situational interior pass rush.  I was a little surprised the Bengals took Zach Carter over Winfrey at 95 given they had met with Winfrey (perhaps that meeting didn't go well?)  I also think Isaiah Thomas has some promise and he has a little time to develop.  If he hits the practice squad, I won't be shocked if he gets snatched. 

• Like 1