Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

Cam Robinson was actually quite solid in 2021. Walker Little didn’t get on the field much outside of Buffalo prior to the final 3 game stretch where he took over for Cam who was hurt, but I’m actually pretty big on what he can be. Unsure about the fit at RT but it sounds like he’s their plan over there. Never really expected them to go for an OT once they said their plan was to extend Cam and having Little in the fold.

Wish we would’ve grabbed one more high end weapon offensively in the draft, but considering the run on WRs early in round 1 it kind of made that impossible (Dotson going at 16 was pretty wild to me).

I really love what they did from a value perspective as I’ve said with Lloyd and Muma, and Fortner gives me super similar vibes to who he’s likely replacing in Brandon Linder. Think I would’ve preferred Parham who went like 20 spots later, but all in all they went value with Lloyd and Muma. Later few picks are definitely just random dart throws though, can’t say I knew much about any of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I think this is about right for the Vikings. I've followed your thread for years and think this is the lowest you've ever ranked them, interestingly. I'm not upset about that at all because I'm happy to see a different approach. If it takes getting worse before getting better post-Spielman, I'm all for it. 

I agree, it’s the right spot. The Vikes had some very questionable trades but it seems they picked good value players at positions of need, outside of the Ingram pick which I didn’t really like it all. Seems Cine was higher on their board and maybe across the league (based on the Cowboys board) than most anticipated so getting a player with a top 15 grade at 32 is certainly a good thing. Same with Booth at 42 as it’s doubtful they could have gotten both if they didn’t trade down. In place of Ingram, i would have preferred the DL route as there was some good options there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree, it’s the right spot. The Vikes had some very questionable trades but it seems they picked good value players at positions of need, outside of the Ingram pick which I didn’t really like it all. Seems Cine was higher on their board and maybe across the league (based on the Cowboys board) than most anticipated so getting a player with a top 15 grade at 32 is certainly a good thing. Same with Booth at 42 as it’s doubtful they could have gotten both if they didn’t trade down. In place of Ingram, i would have preferred the DL route as there was some good options there.

What? If he had a top 15 grade he wouldn't have fallen to 32, and the Vikings wouldn't have traded down 20 spots and risked missing him.

If you get 2 solid starters in a given draft, you had a good draft. Getting 4 solid starters is a fantastic draft. There is a really good chance the Jags did that with Walker, Lloyd, Muma, and Fortner. There are definitely criticisms of the draft for sure, but I liked all 4 players and think they are day 1 starters. The ceilings aren't high (except for Walker), but for a team lacking in talent everywhere, this was a good draft.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If you get 2 solid starters in a given draft, you had a good draft. Getting 4 solid starters is a fantastic draft. There is a really good chance the Jags did that with Walker, Lloyd, Muma, and Fortner. There are definitely criticisms of the draft for sure, but I liked all 4 players and think they are day 1 starters. The ceilings aren't high (except for Walker), but for a team lacking in talent everywhere, this was a good draft.

Meh I think you can say the same thing about any of the 32 teams drafts that draft 4 or more players. You don't draft anyone in the NFL before the 6th round IMO that you couldn't at least see starting in some capacity.

Walker is the Rashan Gary of this draft. I expect him to at least be solid but I honestly thought the value of the #1 overall pick just wasn't there for Walker. No complaints about Lloyd as he is probably going to start in the NFL for a long time. Muma on the other hand i'm not near as high on. He just doesn't move like he tested in shorts and I just don't see a good NFL LB there. I like Fortner but I don't think a center really moves a needle much for a team that does not have alot of talent. Also as far as centers go your not drafting Creed Humphrey here he is just kind of solid. This whole draft outside of Walker is like the embodiment of 

Bored Paul Rudd GIF

Edited by Spartacus

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Meh I think you can say the same thing about any of the 32 teams drafts that draft 4 or more players. You don't draft anyone in the NFL before the 6th round IMO that you couldn't at least see starting in some capacity.

Walker is the Rashan Gary of this draft. I expect him to at least be solid but I honestly thought the value of the #1 overall pick just wasn't there for Walker. No complaints about Lloyd as he is probably going to start in the NFL for a long time. Muma on the other hand i'm not near as high on. He just doesn't move like he tested in shorts and I just don't see a good NFL LB there. I like Fortner but I don't think a center really moves a needle much for a team that does not have alot of talent. Also as far as centers go your not drafting Creed Humphrey here he is just kind of solid. This whole draft outside of Walker is like the embodiment of 

Bored Paul Rudd GIF

That's not true at all. There are not 5 rounds of starters in every draft, especially not day 1 starters. Teams start drafting depth in round 3.

You are right though that you could probably say the same of every team that has 4 early draft picks, but I specifically like the players Jacksonville took for them. I'd probably like it less if I started looking at alternative selections and who they could have taken instead that maybe I liked better, but whatever.

You take Walker at one because, like Jordan Davis, he does things physically that nobody else can do. The difference being Walker plays the more important position. It's very much a projection, but Walker's potential is sky high.

As far as the 2nd bolded comment, you are correct. However, for a team as devoid of talent as the Jaguars, you cannot fix it in 1 draft anyway. Take the good football players, the starters, wherever you can and go from there. They aren't in a position to be picky. I was probably higher on Fortner than most people on this board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

What? If he had a top 15 grade he wouldn't have fallen to 32, and the Vikings wouldn't have traded down 20 spots and risked missing him.

Based on the leaked Cowboys big board he was top 15. And before anyone poops on us, remember, virtually every way you can slice it, the Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL. 

We just suck at many other places, like FA and trading..

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's not true at all. There are not 5 rounds of starters in every draft, especially not day 1 starters. Teams start drafting depth in round 3.

You are right though that you could probably say the same of every team that has 4 early draft picks, but I specifically like the players Jacksonville took for them. I'd probably like it less if I started looking at alternative selections and who they could have taken instead that maybe I liked better, but whatever.

You take Walker at one because, like Jordan Davis, he does things physically that nobody else can do. The difference being Walker plays the more important position. It's very much a projection, but Walker's potential is sky high.

As far as the 2nd bolded comment, you are correct. However, for a team as devoid of talent as the Jaguars, you cannot fix it in 1 draft anyway. Take the good football players, the starters, wherever you can and go from there. They aren't in a position to be picky. I was probably higher on Fortner than most people on this board.

Yeah I think its just a difference in opinion on who they picked. Some people really like Muma and i'm just not that high on him as an NFL LB. Fortner is just kind of OK. Good value for probably a starting OL for the next 10 years but I don't think he is anything special. Lloyd I like especially where they got him and as someone who roots for a team that got destroyed for bad value on Rashan Gary a couple years ago I won't knock the Walker pick that much but #1 overall you just assume to have someone with a higher floor. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

@goldfishwars => have you explained how where you are picking plays a role? Like having the Jets resources vs a playoff team really isnt fair from the start. But if its "how well you did with what you had" it makes it a little more fair. 

This. Draft analysis should be weighted, IMO. Of course the NY teams “won” the draft with two picks in the top 10.

not a comment on this analysis, just in general, in the media etc 

59 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Based on the leaked Cowboys big board he was top 15. And before anyone poops on us, remember, virtually every way you can slice it, the Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL. 

We just suck at many other places, like FA and trading..

Yes exactly. One player may be top 15 on one teams board and may not be on another. I’m guessing the Vikes had a similar grade on Cine as the Cowboys did with what’s been mentioned. 

But for the Vikes to value two picks at 32 and 34 over 12 and to sell the pick off so cheaply implies that they had a lot of players they valued I don’t know in that 15-20 range of their board. They wanted picks in the best valued part of the draft and they determined that to be late first to early second. Will see if it works. Still would have preferred a better trade package but if they land two good secondary starters that’s going to be viewed as successful. 

Edited by vikingsrule

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This. Draft analysis should be weighted, IMO. Of course the NY teams “won” the draft with two picks in the top 10.

not a comment on this analysis, just in general, in the media etc 

To be fair those teams made good moves to put themselves in that position.  Only one of their selections was from a poor record.  I mean the Jags had the #1 overall pick and landed here so while capital helps still need to make good moves with it.  It's not as easy to say high picks high grade.  You can reach on guys like Dotson or Strange in round 1 and hurt your ranking or get higher ranks guys later like Balt, Phi, NYJ did and boost your ranking in his opinion.

Having draft capital only give you a leg up still need to use it right.  For the Jets specifically they made great trades to get that capital in order to have said draft.  I assume if they only had #4 and #35 and traded up to #26 for JJ then getting Sauce and Johnson only they'd be much lower obviously.  Robbing SEA and CAR has to count for something.

Same with Philly who made great move to use other teams desperation against them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Poles' plan is to return kicks with his 2 new kick returners. Go run, run, pass.  Punt on 4th down with his new punter.  Play defense with his new toys. Repeat process.

So basically, Bears football. damn. 

20. Las Vegas Raiders

NFL draft ends without 'major incidents,' police say | Las Vegas  Review-Journal

This Class In One Sentence:

Better than it had any right to be

Pre-Draft Needs

OT, G, DT, LB, S

Selections

Round 3. 90. Dylan Parham  | OG | Memphis

Round 4. 122. Zamir White  | RB | Georgia

Round 4. 126. Neil Farrell Jr.  | DT | LSU

Round 5. 175. Matthew Butler  | DT | Tennessee

Round 7. 238. Thayer Munford  | OT | Ohio State

Round 7. 250. Brittain Brown  | RB | UCLA

What I liked:

With new GM Dave Ziegler taking over in LV, he didn’t have leave himself much to work with after the Devante Adams trade – but came away with a decent haul, especially in the first four selections which happened to all be prospects I rather liked. Parham is a little small, but uber-mobile and agile for an interior lineman. I don't think there's a huge difference in talent between him, and say, Cole Strange. Zamir White was once destined for superstardom, and yet feels like he can still become a nice complimentary back in the NFL if the injury woes are behind him.

I really like the Neil Farrell and Matthew Butler pick ups, those were my two top interior defensive line day three picks. Neil is a massive brute on the inside, and Butler is a long interior rusher with an explosive first step. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either or both find playing time early on a thin roster there. Thayer Munford is a decent developmental tackle to take late on, a huge ball of clay.

What I didn’t like:

Honestly, even the hardest-to-please Raiders fan should be pleased with their off-season with all things considered. This was about as well as it could have gone with no picks before 90. 

• Like 6

I thought the Raiders did well.  Might still agree with their ranking when I see who's above them though.  Deep class means lots of teams look good in a vacuum.

I wanted Parham at 90 to the Titans, and probably would have been happy with him at 69.  Good value on all picks, maneuvered to get more picks and the guys they wanted, and improved their trenches on both sides.  Good draft IMO.