2023 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

On some level it would just be fun to watch Jefferson with a QB that has special arm talent.

For some reason, I want to believe Favre and Elway had throws of 70 mph . . . I'm sure Herbert and Allen could wing it.   But to claim 59 mph is a "cannon?"  🤔

Sucks, Seattle's starting center just retired, maybe Fuller will be that guy or Hunt who knows.  But if not they will draft one with that 20th pick and probably take John Michael Schmitz.

Then Minnesota might be left with Bresee, good player but I would rather go center.  Here are some other options of 1st round picks, RB makes a ton of sense if they cut Cook.  Jack Campbell tested great athletically and is a force, I would not mind him and get a back later on.  Patterson I would not hate in the 1st but we will see how he times and Keion White would be a great DL and is a freak show athlete, but would again would have to hope Forsyth is around later at center.

1st Bijan Robinson Texas JR RB
3rd Gervon Dexter Florida JR DT
4th Alex Forsyth Oregon SR C

1st Jack Campbell Iowa SR ILB
3rd Jammie Robinson Florida State SR CB/S
4th Deuce Vaughn Kansas State JR RB

1st Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS SR OG/C
3rd YaYa Diaby Louisville SR DE

1st Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE
3rd Zach Charbonnet UCLA SR RB
4th Alex Forsyth Oregon SR C 

58 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

For some reason, I want to believe Favre and Elway had throws of 70 mph . . . I'm sure Herbert and Allen could wing it.   But to claim 59 mph is a "cannon?"  🤔

59 mph is a cannon. 

For reference, Josh Allen set the record at 62 mph, Mahomes and Herbert were recorded at 55 mph. 

Edited by SemperFeist

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

59 mph is a cannon. 

For reference, Josh Allen set the record at 62 mph, Mahomes and Herbert were recorded at 55 mph. 

The data and analytics company which has worked closely with the NFL since at least 2015, recently clocked Zach Wilson throwing 69 mph during Jets training camp. It’s reportedly the fastest any QB has been measured to throw, in any setting, according to Next Gen Stats.

https://sportsnaut.com/zach-wilson-achieves-69-mph-fastest-throw-for-qb/  August 2022

I’ve quietly had had a strong draw towards Richardson for the past month or so and had hoped that by not speaking it into existence that the NFL somehow wouldn’t get hyped for him, but that cat is kinda out of the bag now based on his combine performance. 

Richardson might have a lower floor than some of the other 1st round QB’s, but given time to marinate and good coaching (which I fully believe KOC can provide) I feel like Richardson has the highest ceiling. Now his stock has risen high enough that there are somewhat plausible talks about him going #1 overall. I feel like if there is a time to take a shot on a QB by moving up in the draft, this is the year, and the two guys who are most worth it are Richardson and Young. At this point I don’t see how either of them make it past the 4th pick, but if either does, I would strongly consider a move up despite the required trade capital that would be required. I’m not a Kirk hater, but it feels like we have seen his ceiling and with his age, the bottom will fall out sooner than later, and his cap hit doesn’t help either. Taking a shot on a QB is going to be needed. Losing future first round picks and more will hurt for sure, but unless we expect have terrible seasons in the near future, we will have to make this sort of trade at some point, so why not now? 

• Like 1

This draft is looking more like a guarantee trade down if possible for the Vikings. Most of the positions the Vikings need have at least 5 prospects grouped close to together in terms of rating. Kwesi could look at it as they have 4 picks and need more to fill out the team. Sometimes we say trade back just cause. However, the drop-off in terms of talent is so minimal excluding QB. I won't be shocked if Vikings drops out the 1st round altogether. Kancey as a Christian Wilkens role intrigues me, also Jack Campbell being that true 3-4 LB paired with undersized Brian is something I like as well.      

• Like 2

If the Vikings were to make a move for a quarterback in the 2023 draft, Jordan Reid of ESPN says Minnesota could wait until the later rounds before selecting one.

"I think they could look to take a quarterback on Day 2 or Day 3," Reid said. "Some that are my favorite include Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA, he's one that I like, and Jake Haener from Fresno State. Just some guys that if Kirk does miss some time or something like that … you need to be able to have somebody behind him that they can trust."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-experts-consider-quarterback-market-2023-season?fbclid=IwAR1li7uAQcYVXEc76PGksAYfmTtAuxU1roqqaQOKGwAHmpECfTBJCevqZGE

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

????

In order to trade down, there needs to be a player, or players, worth trading up for.

I don’t see those types of players. I see a draft class with 3, maybe 4, blue chip prospects, 10-15 players worthy of a 1st round grade, and a plethora of solid, yet unspectacular prospects. 

At 23 the Vikings are at the beginning of that solid, yet unspectacular group. And I don’t envision teams are going to be all that interested in giving up additional resources just so that they can get a player at 23 who is graded as equally as a player they can get at 33, or 43.

• Like 1

In his latest mock draft, Jeremiah had the Vikings selecting Maryland's CB Deonte Banks. Jeremiah told Everett that Banks' 6-foot-2, 205-pound frame could fit well in Defensive Coordinator Brian Flores' system.

Jeremiah:  "He's big, physical and fast. He's competitive as well. He's not a perfect player; there are times he can get a little bit sticky in some of his transition movement, but at that point in time in the draft, get a height, weight, speed corner who can play the football. I think he's got a chance to be a really good fit. And it's obviously a spot that needs to be addressed for Minnesota."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-draft-2023-experts-discuss-no-23-overall?fbclid=IwAR2NkpGPsLkP_z2sr51ktiIRn51ekKHHZVvAfGFHe8Cq5qrf4cISy9PnFzY

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sucks, Seattle's starting center just retired, maybe Fuller will be that guy or Hunt who knows.  But if not they will draft one with that 20th pick and probably take John Michael Schmitz.

Then Minnesota might be left with Bresee, good player but I would rather go center.  Here are some other options of 1st round picks, RB makes a ton of sense if they cut Cook.  Jack Campbell tested great athletically and is a force, I would not mind him and get a back later on.  Patterson I would not hate in the 1st but we will see how he times and Keion White would be a great DL and is a freak show athlete, but would again would have to hope Forsyth is around later at center.

1st Bijan Robinson Texas JR RB
3rd Gervon Dexter Florida JR DT
4th Alex Forsyth Oregon SR C

1st Jack Campbell Iowa SR ILB
3rd Jammie Robinson Florida State SR CB/S

1st Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS SR OG/C
3rd YaYa Diaby Louisville SR DE

1st Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE
3rd Zach Charbonnet UCLA SR RB
4th Alex Forsyth Oregon SR C 

If we drafted Bijan Robinson or Jack Campbell in the 1st, I would explode. I love Campbell, but I just don't want a 3-4 inside line backer in the first round. Bijan goes without saying. Just go find a running back in the 6th or 7th round and use that pick on a player who will play well past 28

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

Anthony Richardson may have done more than any other player to improve his draft stock at the Scouting Combine.

Richardson was outstanding in Indianapolis, and as a result he’s now listed behind Alabama’s Bryce Young in the betting odds to be the first quarterback drafted. Young remains the favorite at -240, but Richardson is now second at +380.

How did Richardson do it? By putting on one of the most impressive performances in Scouting Combine history. His vertical jump was the best ever for a quarterback. His broad jump was also the best ever for a quarterback. At 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, with a 40-yard dash time of 4.43 seconds, he would be considered an elite athletic prospect at any position, not just quarterback.

But even more impressive was Richardson’s arm in the throwing drills. Richardson unleashed a series of 60-yard throws that landed in his receivers’ hands. Richardson’s arm talent is remarkable.

Richardson is not a perfect prospect. He completed just 53.8 percent of his passes last season at Florida, and he started just 13 games in his college football career. Completion percentage and games started are two of the college quarterback stats with the best track record for predicting NFL success, and Richardson ranks near the bottom of all the quarterbacks in this year’s draft in both categories.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/05/anthony-richardsons-sensational-combine-performance-raises-his-draft-stock/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

In his latest mock draft, Jeremiah had the Vikings selecting Maryland's CB Deonte Banks. Jeremiah told Everett that Banks' 6-foot-2, 205-pound frame could fit well in Defensive Coordinator Brian Flores' system.

Jeremiah:  "He's big, physical and fast. He's competitive as well. He's not a perfect player; there are times he can get a little bit sticky in some of his transition movement, but at that point in time in the draft, get a height, weight, speed corner who can play the football. I think he's got a chance to be a really good fit. And it's obviously a spot that needs to be addressed for Minnesota."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-draft-2023-experts-discuss-no-23-overall?fbclid=IwAR2NkpGPsLkP_z2sr51ktiIRn51ekKHHZVvAfGFHe8Cq5qrf4cISy9PnFzY

He physically looks the part, but I think the Steelers take him before the Vikings.  Vikings could be in play for Phillips or Ringo though or Antonio Johnson potentially.

He is rising for sure, and looking at his tape he does mirror receivers really well.  Is odd though if he is so good then why did Maryland kind of suck the last few years, especially with all the WRs they had and the DBs.  All teams care for is that athletic ability at the position and he did have a great combine with 4.35 40, 42" vertical and a 11'4" broad.  

8 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If we drafted Bijan Robinson or Jack Campbell in the 1st, I would explode. I love Campbell, but I just don't want a 3-4 inside line backer in the first round. Bijan goes without saying. Just go find a running back in the 6th or 7th round and use that pick on a player who will play well past 28

If they lose Kendricks I would love Jack Campbell as a big body LB who is a great athlete but that is a long shot granted, still would fill a need and if they lose Kendricks I am not totally confident Asamoah is this super star or something.  Campbell had a better vertical and broad jump and is 5" taller than him and out weighs him by what almost 25 pounds.  And the 40 is not that far off either from Asamoah's or the 10 yard split.  Also Campbell had a 6.74 3 cone which was the best out of any LB or DE and would have been 2nd best out of the CBs who participated in the 3-cone as well.

As for Bijan, sure could maybe get a RB later in the draft like Vaughn but if the top one is sitting right there would be hard to pass him up and still would be way cheaper than Cook so that alone would be a win.