2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Hendon Hooker Is really intriguing. 
The cons are that he is injured right now (they say scheduled to be training camp ready), he is 25 and intermediate passing. But he has a ton of pros. Good mobility, good arm, doesn’t flee the pocket too fast, “pass-first”, big hands, tall, good frame, speed. Good deep ball and leans on his big weapons. QB Decision making is higher right now (compared to Richardson) 

Having him sit behind Cousins for a year, and take over in 2024 it’s certainly something interesting. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Hendon Hooker Is really intriguing. 
The cons are that he is injured right now (they say scheduled to be training camp ready), he is 25 and intermediate passing. But he has a ton of pros. Good mobility, good arm, doesn’t flee the pocket too fast, “pass-first”, big hands, tall, good frame, speed. Good deep ball and leans on his big weapons. QB Decision making is higher right now (compared to Richardson) 

Having him sit behind Cousins for a year, and take over in 2024 it’s certainly something interesting. 

Why is he such an old prospect? Did he take the Kenny Pickett route?

Former Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker isn't throwing at the NFL Combine this week but did arrive in Indianapolis with a point to prove — that he's mentally ready for the pro game and will be an asset to the franchise that drafts him coming off a stellar career with the Volunteers.

Hooker missed the final portion of the 2023 season with a knee injury but says he's ready to throw again and rehabilitation is going faster than expected. He's one of several high-end former SEC signal-callers expected to get the call early in April.

Hooker: "First and foremost, I want to come in and learn from any and everyone. Vets, coaches, on the field and off the field, how to be a pro. That’s the first thing I want to do. And embark my character, the person that I am and building trust around the whole organization."

"Starting with attitude. I’m extremely blessed to be here, a once in a lifetime opportunity and something I’ve dreamed about since I was a kid. Continuing to control what I control. Keep my confidence as well. That mental side of the game, elevating that mental side of the game however I can. Continue to rehab. Finally being able to do total body workouts. Finally being able to put some weight on that leg. I’m excited to get back to throwing next week."

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NFL-Combine-2023-Hendon-Hooker-expresses-confidence-during-interviews-talks-Tennessee-offense-205696447/#205696447_4

• Like 1

I know the glory boys are on the field trying to impress, and for me, I'm not all that enamored with the QBs and WRs, even though a 5th Rd WR would be wise.   I do believe Hendon Hooker in the 3rd would be a good gamble.

But, I'm a much bigger advocate for Avila, the OG/C from TCU as our 3rd Rd pick.  If the Vikes go D in Rd 1, and he's there, would you be in favor of drafting him to replace Bradbury, or even Cleveland down the road? 

I need to go back and watch both CFP games . . . He had to have been blown-up by Georgia, but his whole team sucked.   As a guy on an assignment, how was he? 

16 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

So, what is his ceiling?? Richardson had a completion percentage of 53.8%. That is horrible. 17 tds to 9 ints. That’s not good either. Don’t get caught up in all the hype about “ ceiling “. The pick would Stroud and it’s not even close.

If we are looking at QB, I think trading back to the end of the 1st and picking Hendon Hooker would be a great pick.

I’ll take the QB that has a completion percentage of 68.8 over the last 2 years to go along with 6080 yards and 58 tds to 5 picks. And over a 1000 yards rushing combined over that time as well. 

let Hooker sit for a year ( and heal to 100 % ) and be the future for the Vikings.

I wouldn't take Hendon Hooker before the 4th-5th round.  He has little to no upside.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wouldn't take Hendon Hooker before the 4th-5th round.  He has little to no upside.  

I know a lot of people will probably criticize that take, but he's already 25 yrs old...and it's no wonder that he was able to be pretty dominant...he was a man amongst young men.  He is what he is physically at this point.  As it is, Burrow and Mahomes are only a year or 2 older than him.