2023 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Jack Campbell is not going to be drafted in the 1st round.  Maybe mid 2nd round is probably the earliest he would go and even that is questionable.

Disagree, Giants potentially need ILB help, Vikings would if they cut Kendricks and the Bills if they do not resign Edmonds.  Sure it is a bit of a long shot but yeah right the dude did not impress with those times as a 6-5 246 pound ILB who has coverage instincts as well.  

23 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

No way they go RB in round one. No way. And they shouldn't. 

Daniel Jeremiah has him 5th best player in the draft.  Now I do not see him as a top 15 pick but dude has skills and if the Vikings cut Cook and pass on Robinson if he is there, they would be straight up idiots to do that.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Disagree, Giants potentially need ILB help, Vikings would if they cut Kendricks and the Bills if they do not resign Edmonds.  Sure it is a bit of a long shot but yeah right the dude did not impress with those times as a 6-5 246 pound ILB who has coverage instincts as well.  

Daniel Jeremiah has him 5th best player in the draft.  Now I do not see him as a top 15 pick but dude has skills and if the Vikings cut Cook and pass on Robinson if he is there, they would be straight up idiots to do that.  

Unless they miraculously sign several very good defensive free agents, and every DB that was hurt is healthy and good, a RB won't matter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Unless they miraculously sign several very good defensive free agents, and every DB that was hurt is healthy and good, a RB won't matter. 

A 1st round pick at RB would be paid what $3.5-4 mil for four years, Cook currently gets $11-$12 mil per year and is scheduled to get that for the next 3 years.  That matters a bit, especially considering Cook gets hurt a lot and is not nearly as powerful of a runner as Robinson and Robinson is a better pass catcher coming out than Cook was as well.

D is important but maybe if they can save some money by getting rid of Cook they can get a CB...

And not everyone is the 49ers and can get a RB from basically anywhere and have him produce.  And even they went out of gave up tons of get McCaffrey and that was with solid backs on the roster currently.  

Considering the Vikings are now a heavy analytics-based team, they aren't drafting Bijan Robinson in the 1st round even if he's there at 23...especially with how deep this class is at RB.  It's not as deep as CB, but it's not that far behind in depth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Considering the Vikings are now a heavy analytics-based team, they aren't drafting Bijan Robinson in the 1st round even if he's there at 23...especially with how deep this class is at RB.  It's not as deep as CB, but it's not that far behind in depth.  

I agree with not drafting a RB in the 1st round. But, I would draft a RB in round 3 or 4.

I would absolutely cut Cook. There is no reason at all to pay him 11 million a year for the next 3 years. To me, backs are a dime a dozen…

Great example? The Super Bowl. Isiah Pacheco…… 7th round draft pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

I agree with not drafting a RB in the 1st round. But, I would draft a RB in round 3 or 4.

I would absolutely cut Cook. There is no reason at all to pay him 11 million a year for the next 3 years. To me, backs are a dime a dozen…

Great example? The Super Bowl. Isiah Pacheco…… 7th round draft pick.

Good example, the Vikings do not have Trent Williams as their LT, and they are not coached by Mike Shanahan's kid!  Let us not pretend that the Vikings have the same track record of drafting running backs late in the draft that become stars like the Shanahan's do....  Oh and the Chiefs with Pacheco, have the best QB in the league and a OL that is 2nd best in the entire NFL only behind the Eagles....  Put Pacheco on a different team, not sure he is that productive...

I have no problem with drafting a RB later and it is a deep class, could get a decent one in the 3rd or 4th.  Still if Bijan drops no way they pass on him, even during the combine some are talking on the broadcast that he goes to the Eagles at 10.  Sure that probably will not happen but he is not totally out of the question.  Especially after he runs a 4.3 or 4.4 40 potentially and has a great workout.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s a part of me that wants to see the Vikings draft Tanner McKee and Deuce Vaughn, just for the absurdity of the visual in the backfield. 

I would love having Deuce, but really any of these backs could be there in rounds 3-5 potentially and I would not mind having any of them.  Spears could be a star, so could McBride, Vaughn, Chase Brown, Miller, even the local Edina kid Hull could be a stud.  

Deuce Vaughn Kansas State JR
Zach Charbonnet UCLA
DeWayne McBride UAB JR
Devon Achane Texas A&M JR
Tyjea Spears Tulane RS JR
Chase Brown Illinois RS JR
Kendre Miller TCU JR
Tank Bigsby Auburn JR
Mohamed Ibrahim Minnesota RS
Evan Hull Northwestern RS JR
Israel Abanikanda Pitt JR

As for the QB, not a huge fan of his, I would be more comfortable drafting O'Connell, Bagent or Stetson Bennett in the later rounds than McKee.  

They might not have Trent Williams, but the Vikings do have a top 3, possibly top 2 left tackle. So, I'm not sure what that point was.

Also, the Vikings may not have the track record of drafting running backs like other teams, but that is because they don't really draft running backs. Cook and Mattison were both hits, and Ty Chandler looks like he could be very productive. Otherwise, they mostly bring in UDFA's to fill the roster out. At least from what I can remember.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

They might not have Trent Williams, but the Vikings do have a top 3, possibly top 2 left tackle. So, I'm not sure what that point was.

Also, the Vikings may not have the track record of drafting running backs like other teams, but that is because they don't really draft running backs. Cook and Mattison were both hits, and Ty Chandler looks like he could be very productive. Otherwise, they mostly bring in UDFA's to fill the roster out. At least from what I can remember.

Also, it's a whole new leadership team. We going on track record?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Also, it's a whole new leadership team. We going on track record?

Yes, exactly that too. We can't look back at Spielman's drafts and say that's how Kwesi and KOC also operate. So far, they actually do draft promising running backs. Also, it makes no sense to me to imply that KOC is a worse coach than Shanahan. Could he be? Absolutely. However, KOC put up 13 wins in his first year with the worst defense in football. For all we know, he could be just as good or better. 

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 3

Bijan Robinson is by far the top running back prospect in this year’s draft, and the biggest question he faces is how high an NFL team is willing to take a running back after the position has been largely devalued in recent years. Last year, there were no first-round running backs, and no running back has gone in the Top 20 since Saquon Barkley went No. 2 overall in 2018.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/bijan-robinson-happy-with-4-46-second-40-yard-dash/