The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Hendon Hooker is not an elite prospect IMO. Weeden was ahead of him as a passer. But I can see your side of the argument. If a QB is pro ready and you think you can get at least 10 years out of him, why not draft him high? Hendon Hooker is not pro ready though.

I disagree. He’ll land in the 1st round. 20 years ago a gimmick offense would be worrisome like Tim Couch or Andre Ware, JP Losman. Today lots of NFL offenses are using college wrinkles and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’d imagine Dorian Thompson Robinson is moving up Draft boards

This I kinda agree with. DTR is a rich man's Tyrod Taylor. A 5th year senior that has matured as a passer. Right now, I have him in the 3rd or 4th rounds. But he may rise to the 2nd round.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

There is some talent in this QB class. I agree, it's top heavy but there are going to be some options round 2-3 on developmental prospects which is what the Raiders need behind Carr for a couple years. 

I don’t think there’s any way this team pays Carr 35-45 million in the next 2 years unless he starts playing at MVP level and not game Manager level.

This team is setup to have a rookie salary QB slot to start and have success. 

Letting Carr walk and inserting a draft pick at QB allows the Raiders to add another 3-4 starters across the team

Edited by bucksavage1

58 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I don’t think there’s any way this team pays Carr 35-45 million in the next 2 years unless he starts playing at MVP level and not game Manager level.

This team is setup to have a rookie salary QB slot to start and have success. 

Letting Carr walk and inserting a draft pick at QB allows the Raiders to add another 3-4 starters across the team

This team is not talented enough to win with a rookie QB. And they won't be picking high enough to get a day 1 starter at QB. Carr was given a 3 year leash with this staff. Unless he collapses in epic fashion, he's the QB of this team.

There is not a realistic scenario where getting rid of Carr for a rookie makes this team better immediately. You would need to catch lightning in a bottle on a rookie otherwise you waste the prime of guys like Adams, Crosby, Renfrow, etc. window. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This team is not talented enough to win with a rookie QB. And they won't be picking high enough to get a day 1 starter at QB. Carr was given a 3 year leash with this staff. Unless he collapses in epic fashion, he's the QB of this team.

There is not a realistic scenario where getting rid of Carr for a rookie makes this team better immediately. You would need to catch lightning in a bottle on a rookie otherwise you waste the prime of guys like Adams, Crosby, Renfrow, etc. window.

High upside Rookie QB + 3-4 additional starters.

VS Carr massive cap and game manager play. Holes will be hard to address due to the resources allotment to the offense in 2023. This team has gone nowhere with Carr.

I’d rather take a chance with a high upside player who could be even better than Carr with legitimate weapons and additional savings to sign better players across the team 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

High upside Rookie QB + 3-4 additional starters.

VS Carr massive cap and game manager play. Holes will be hard to address due to the resources allotment to the offense in 2023. This team has gone nowhere with Carr.

I’d rather take a chance with a high upside player who could be even better than Carr with legitimate weapons and additional savings to sign better players across the team 

And how are you landing this "high upside rookie QB" outside the top 10 picks where the Raiders likely will be? And you're handing him the job year 1?

I get the idea, but wouldn't it be smarter to groom that upside under Carr? Because unless you are trading up or picking top 5, to land Stroud or Young you're swinging on potential that could bust and set you back years. Look at the Broncos post Manning. Talented team who has been striking out for years at the position. 

Or the Raider before Carr. You think managing the game is bad? Where did the Raiders go before he got here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

And how are you landing this "high upside rookie QB" outside the top 10 picks where the Raiders likely will be? And you're handing him the job year 1?

I get the idea, but wouldn't it be smarter to groom that upside under Carr? Because unless you are trading up or picking top 5, to land Stroud or Young you're swinging on potential that could bust and set you back years. Look at the Broncos post Manning. Talented team who has been striking out for years at the position. 

Or the Raider before Carr. You think managing the game is bad? Where did the Raiders go before he got here?

I’m willing to give Carr through the end of this season before making a final judgment on whether we should look to move on in the off-season. 

With that said, JMD did a damned good job with a rookie Mac Jones, 2008 Matt Cassel, and preseason Jimmy G in NE (SF traded a top pick for him based on limited game action). I would be more inclined to trust JMD than just about any other HC outside of Andy Reid or maybe Sean Payton with a rookie QB’s development and being able to squeeze out point production while they get up to speed in the offense.