The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Will Levis

He might be a very different person if he's taken at 38. 

Thing is, you can be that way if you are that good. You can be Marino, they will put up with it, no problem. 

I don't think he's that good. But he might be, and that's worth 38. 

At the moment,we have 12 picks, I think?

I doubt we wind up with that many, but if we did, if we actually drafted 12 guys, I would hope to see 4 D-linemen picked. There are very decent prospects along the D-line for like 4 rounds. That's very unusual. You go 15 deep at Edge this year, and there's a really good athlete there. That never happens. Let's stock up.

• Like 3

I still have a feeling we are gonna draft Robinson. Maybe trade back pick up Robinson then trade Jacobs for a late 1. Not want I want to happen. But I could see it happening. Especially if they are getting the feeling Jacobs won't resign/doesn't want to be here.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not arguing but after Anderson the rankings for the rest of the edge class are all over the place. A lot will come down to team preference / scheme.

He's a 3-4 OLB, despite being small he held up well against the run at UGA. Mack isn't the biggest guy on the edge and was the best run defender in the league. 

You ain't kidding. 

1 hour ago, massraider said:

At the moment,we have 12 picks, I think?

I doubt we wind up with that many, but if we did, if we actually drafted 12 guys, I would hope to see 4 D-linemen picked. There are very decent prospects along the D-line for like 4 rounds. That's very unusual. You go 15 deep at Edge this year, and there's a really good athlete there. That never happens. Let's stock up.

I think we ultimately bundle some of the later picks to move up for surprise fallers. So many of our picks are so late you're just drafting a bunch of UDFA types to secure their rights ahead of the free-for-all. 

When the dust settles, I see us walking away with 9 players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

So how's everyone feel if we take him day 2??

For the record I'm all in on Stroud in 1st, and if not then Hooker in 2nd.

Man, idk. 

On one hand, his talent would be a steal on day 2. I could live with him at 38. 

On the other, if he takes that big of a fall, there's gotta be a reason. 

I'd be tempted, but I think at that point I'd stick to my guns on trying to grab Hooker or McKee a bit later. 

Guys randomly fall often enough. Needs, projections to offenses, skill set, all sorts of things can factor in.  Seems like Levis could fall hard and from everything I'm seeing/reading.... they're huge turn off reasons more than anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigD1123 said:

I still have a feeling we are gonna draft Robinson. Maybe trade back pick up Robinson then trade Jacobs for a late 1. Not want I want to happen. But I could see it happening. Especially if they are getting the feeling Jacobs won't resign/doesn't want to be here.

No one is giving up a 1st for Jacobs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No one is giving up a 1st for Jacobs.

If we trade him for a 3rd, I could 100% see us then trading a 1st to get him back while the Zeigler talks about trusting the process and his learning curve and defending the move as savvy 4-D chess. 

10 hours ago, massraider said:

I don't get it. What highlights am I missing? He was a Georgia team leader, good against the run, but where he is being mocked, I need 10 sacks as a possible outcome. Did this guy have 10 sacks in college?

His role in Georgia's defense was not as a pass rusher. He did it on occasion, but  he mostly did a lot of the dirty work in run defense and coverage where he excelled.

I wouldn't reach for him at 7 if that's not where he projects, but he will have been worth the 7th overall pick in 3 years time. Natural leader, smart, coaches on the field. And has some Von Miller to his game. Needs a little more size when he gets to the NFL, but he will be a household name in a short order. 

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I just read J. Carter has been crossed off our list at 7 and we will not be taking him.  I am all in for a trade back and drafting a stud edge rusher or cb.  

Just saw that article as well. Sucks if we pass on him because he's exactly the talent we need, but I understand the reasoning. Having another Ruggs incident would be horrible.

• Like 1