The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Phillips size is definitely a concern. 5'9 (7th percentile), 184 (16th percentile), 29" arms (1th percentile) and he didn't test great: 4.51 forty (44th percentile), 33" vert (13th percentile), 4.32 shuttle (17th percentile) 

Those measureables really do make you wonder how well it’ll translate to the NFL as an outside CB.  White tape beats workouts and measurements every time, it is nonetheless scary to put a 1st or 2nd pick into a player at this time in our rebuild when we absolutely need to hit on every day 1+2 picks.

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Carter is off the board for us, who is everyone's next favorite DT? 

I loved Tuipolotu, but at 266 he's banking on being an Edge guy. 

Mazi Smith? Gervon Dexter? Siaki Ika? Someone else?

I’d be okay with gambling on Breese’s upside if we trade down. Keanu Benton looks good too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Carter is off the board for us, who is everyone's next favorite DT? 

I loved Tuipolotu, but at 266 he's banking on being an Edge guy. 

Mazi Smith? Gervon Dexter? Siaki Ika? Someone else?

I like Karl Brooks, Benton, Dante Stills, Jalen Richmond. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Those measureables really do make you wonder how well it’ll translate to the NFL as an outside CB.  White tape beats workouts and measurements every time, it is nonetheless scary to put a 1st or 2nd pick into a player at this time in our rebuild when we absolutely need to hit on every day 1+2 picks.

He also was pac 12 defensive player of the year, and forced a TON of turnovers. I understand your concern but you have to look at the product on the field. I think he'll be a good starter in a man scheme for a long time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I’d be okay with gambling on Breese’s upside if we trade down. Keanu Benton looks good too.

Id definitely be good with trading down into the late teens to mid 20s if we can draft Breese.  The one problem with that is he could get drafted right before we pick.  You’d have to have a backup player, probably a CB who you would be happy drafting.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He also was pac 12 defensive player of the year, and forced a TON of turnovers. I understand your concern but you have to look at the product on the field. I think he'll be a good starter in a man scheme for a long time.

I’m absolutely not discounting his play.  Im not even advocating not drafting him in round 2.  I’m just simply stating it’s a concern and we need to hit on all day 1+2 picks.  Personally, I think we need to draft conservatively.  I’d rather have a all solid starters out of day 2 over hitting on 75% and a few end up being slightly better.

Ultimately I think it comes down to who else is available at the time of the pick and taking a calculated assessment of risk vs reward.

The good thing about Phillips is he could kick to the slot, but for this team we already have Hobbs who is much better in slot then outside.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I honestly keep forgetting about Breese. For a first rounder, I never seem to hear much about him. 

I’ve seen several mock drafts by nfl.com and mainstream writers who have him as a high to early 40s pick.  

I find his recent “slide” odd given his combine measurements and performance.  He measured 6’5.5” with 32.5”’ arms and ran a fantastic 4.86 40yd dash.  I would have thought he’d see a resurgence in “draft stock” (which is a fake thing, it’s just all speculation until draft day and it really happens).

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve seen several mock drafts by nfl.com and mainstream writers who have him as a high to early 40s pick.  

I find his recent “slide” odd given his combine measurements and performance.  He measured 6’5.5” with 32.5”’ arms and ran a fantastic 4.86 40yd dash.  I would have thought he’d see a resurgence in “draft stock” (which is a fake thing, it’s just all speculation until draft day and it really happens).

The hype is just correcting itself, he’s meh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Amik was also a monster in college though, it's different when you have to cover NFL receivers. 

• Like 1