The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

If the Raiders plan is to target Hendon Hooker I would prefer them training up to the end of the 1st round and draft him. Having that 5th year option is so valuable when it comes to a QB. It fully allows you to take advantage of the rookie pay scale and maximize the cap room. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

If the Raiders plan is to target Hendon Hooker I would prefer them training up to the end of the 1st round and draft him. Having that 5th year option is so valuable when it comes to a QB. It fully allows you to take advantage of the rookie pay scale and maximize the cap room. 

Trading up for a might start down the road guy at his age, with a steep learning curve to the NFL I don't see it. 

I really don't see the appeal with Hooker. Feels like his ceiling is a mid tier starter but more likely a journeyman backup. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Concerned probably isn’t the word for it, but l’d be concerned we pass up better offensive talent that’s fallen out of round 1 just to fill holes on the defense.

I’m hoping we don’t do that an if we can’t fill the defensive holes we go back into FA after the draft to do that.

We can get a strong defensive player at every level if we play it right and still round out the offense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm not advocating for that though. Just saying I don't see many scenarios where the pick would be a reach. It may be a pick that ignores a different need or passes up a player at a different position that might've wound up more impactful, but I don't think that means it would be a reach per se. 

Put it this way- we get to pick 70 and Luke Musgrave is there. We've gone CB at 7 and DT at 38. We're eyeballing Musgrave, but we still need LBs. Sewell, To'oTo'o, Pace, Overshown, etc are all still there. Would grabbing one be a reach? Maybe, given the number of them still available, it would be a questionable pick, but I wouldn't be mad about it and feel that we reached. 

Take the same approach but say we went CB at 7 and LB at 38. At 70, we're looking at Musgrave. Somehow, Dexter, Benton, and Ika are still there. We don't pick again until 100 and there's no chance they're still around then. Would it be reaching? Again, I don't think so. 

Now, take the above two scenarios and say it comes down to Musgrave or one of Diabate, Pickens, Roy, Williams, someone who doesn't come particularly close to cracking the top 100. In that case, taking someone 30+ picks ahead of their projected range would indeed be a huge reach, especially considering we have pick 100 and 109. Musgrave would be gone, but at least 2 of those 4 would almost assuredly be there. But with the numbers game as it is, I would be absolutely shocked if this type of scenario played out. 

Theen again, it comes down to subjective opinions. I wouldn't waste my time or assets on any QB in this class prior to pick 70, which already limits the options. There's a couple of OG's I'd look at, but not at the expense of a DT or LB right now. I wouldn't take Torrence over a DT or LB at 38 for example, because I would just target Avila at 70 or Curtis, Daniels, Vorhees, or Zavala in round 4+. Ditto for TE- we have Hooper and Howard. I'd love Musgrave or Washington, and if either fell it would be a tough call. But again, I like Kuntz, Latu, and Mallory enough to look at post pick 100 that I wouldn't jump on either if the board shook out to where the next crack at defensive talent came with a marked drop in talent. Other people would trade the house for a QB. Others would grab a faller on offense in the form of a G or TE. 

That would be reaching imo. Due to the lack of personnel we are ignoring a top end TE to get a body at LB, I can’t get behind that logic. 

Again If a guard is higher on our board, passing on them just to get a DT or LB because we are short in that position isn’t a great strategy. In your scenario what if Avila isn’t there at #70? We miss out on a guard because we have reached for defensive options. 

Id rather be flexible in the draft to ensure we get good prospects rather than reaching for need.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dayum just a 5th fr wow did he just fall tf off

Was a borderline 2 and benched at the end of the season.

Lesson here... the tall, long athletic CB isn't always the best answer. 

Why I prefer Witherspoon. Take the dude with ball skills and production. They usually turn out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Was a borderline 2 and benched at the end of the season.

Lesson here... the tall, long athletic CB isn't always the best answer. 

Why I prefer Witherspoon. Take the dude with ball skills and production. They usually turn out. 

Naw he was over hyped coming out iirc he had arnette on the other side. I never liked him or nette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Trading up for a might start down the road guy at his age, with a steep learning curve to the NFL I don't see it. 

I really don't see the appeal with Hooker. Feels like his ceiling is a mid tier starter but more likely a journeyman backup. 

Hooker feels like taking a QB just to take a QB. Wouldn’t mind him in the 3rd as much, but too much talent in the top 40 to pass on for an old QB coming off an acl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don’t see the appeal in Hooker. Not just old, but also his arm is meh, his mobility is overrated, and he’s a one read guy just like Levis and Richardson, but Richardson has shown the most promise with progression speed. Tennessee’s offense had 3 reads max, and usually two. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I could see Lions going Gonzalez at 6 but I could easily see them going Jalen or Tyree at 6 and Banks/Porter at 18. Just because they trades Okudah doesn’t mean they are a lock at 6 for a corner. 

Lions have a ton of routes they could look to go, for sure. 

Of all the teams, I think they're arguably the most likely to go BPA quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

This would be ideal for me if they really think he is the guy. I’m really intrigued as to where he goes come draft night.