The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

Just now, BayRaider said:

I’d be very happy with Stroud at 7. Although not as happy as most of the other posters who think Stroud is this very polished, can’t miss prospect and clear #2 QB to Young. The fact is Stroud is the one QB of the four that doesn’t have superstar potential. Top 10 QB, Pro Bowl QB potential, yes. He also is not as polished as people hype him up to be. He is primarily a first read guy just like Levis and Richardson. From a mental standpoint and progression standpoint, the three are closer than you think. Where Stroud outshines those two is his mechanics and footwork are light years ahead of those two. But Levis and Richardson arm strength and also mobility are light years ahead of Stroud. Just pick your flavor basically… Stroud starting to get less love in the draft process is not surprising. I still have him going #2 to the Texans, but him falling a bit wouldn’t be surprising. Also Stroud had one of the best WR cores ever assembled. And one of the best OL’s too. The other three had way worse cores, especially Richardson and Levis. 

With that said, I’m still picking Stroud at 7 without question (unless Richardson is on the board too) but Stroud is not this slam duck polished prospect people on this subforum make him out to be. 

At 7? I think Stroud would be a steal. I'm on board with the idea that he is top 10 potential, but probably won't be a superstar.  These rumors this week are surprising. I'm sitting here thinking.... this guy has been evaluated for years and scrutinized in every aspect. And he's going to lose millions and everyone is going to pass on him because of one paper test? If his intellect is really THAT bad....it would have come out long before now. I don't buy into it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

At 7? I think Stroud would be a steal. I'm on board with the idea that he is top 10 potential, but probably won't be a superstar.  These rumors this week are surprising. I'm sitting here thinking.... this guy has been evaluated for years and scrutinized in every aspect. And he's going to lose millions and everyone is going to pass on him because of one paper test? If his intellect is really THAT bad....it would have come out long before now. I don't buy into it. 

It has nothing to do with “one test”. It’s everything I just mentioned. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

To be fair, your first line can be said about every position, even CB. Smith, Turner, and Forbes could all be there w/ our second pick and end up being great. I would hardly call them "mediocre" but to each their own.

Smith is probably 1st, Forbes I like but he's a buck 60, Turner don't know if he's a day one starter.

Hall, Tuli, FAU, Ojulari, McDonald  can all make an impact platooning with Jones. While I have a possible all pro CB on the back end.

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What LT’s have been successful and pro bowlers with his arm length? Probably quite the short list. Usually under 33”you are a RT at best (and usually guard) and under 32” you are a guard for sure. Penn is a rare example of short arms succeeding at Tackle and he had 33.0 inch arms. Skor is like 32.1 inch… him succeeding at Tackle, even Right Tackle, goes against a lot of history. 

Slater is an all-pro. Heck Jamaree Salyer was damn good at LT as rookie filling in with just over 33" arms.

Skoronski is a carbon-copy with arguably better feet.

And how many long armed guys can't block anything because they don't have the feet or technique?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Edge is deep, but outside Anderson (who some question, I don't) they all have some issues. It's a lot of projection at that position. 

It's still deep. There's a lot of guys that are projections, but this draft goes 3 rounds deep of guys that are good enough athletes, and have put up some numbers. 

Some will miss, but most likely someone is going to get a really good pass rusher in the 2nd and maybe the 3rd round. 

There are several years when that is not true. It would be a very good thing to acquire solid pass rusher for just the price of a Day 2 pick. That really doesn't happen often. 

With a trade back, I wouldn't hate Skoronski. He's a technician with all pro potential. He's a culture fit as far as being humble, working hard and team first. 

It wouldn't be the worst pick, but it'd be underwhelming. If they can add more picks in the top 100 and secure a plug and play all pro potential OT/G in the process, then I can get behind that. 

Nah

The draft is a lot of hype. I've read most GMs place first round grade on 15-17 players. 

DT is really thin. You got a lot of guys being pushed up because of it. 

CB is deep. Half the guys taken round 1 will bust (hello Joey Porter Jr.). You are going to find potential starters later on in the draft. 

Edge is deep, but outside Anderson (who some question, I don't) they all have some issues. It's a lot of projection at that position. 

I'd have trouble passing on Carter at 7 if there. Given I can get a CB (maybe 2) in rounds 2-4. Same with edge. 

Pretty clear, DZ wants culture fits. Going to be looking for a lot team first guys that are known for their work ethic. Witherspoon, Gonzo, Banks all fit the mold. Skoronski, Nolan Smith, Zay Flowers, etc. all check a box. 

If we are in the teens, skoronski or Paris Johnson are good picks. 7 is too early imho.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we are in the teens, skoronski or Paris Johnson are good picks. 7 is too early imho.

I agree with this assessment. That said, I'd be 5 years from now, you look back and say Skoronski was a top 5 player in this draft. That is how these things always go. Value on guys like him alway looks better in hindsight.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with this assessment. That said, I'd be 5 years from now, you look back and say Skoronski was a top 5 player in this draft. That is how these things always go. Value on guys like him alway looks better in hindsight.

I don't disagree. But if you can have him later I'd rather get the picks if that's an option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073587-raiders-rumors-lv-out-on-qbs-after-failing-to-trade-up-to-no-1-in-nfl-draft-2023

now I've been hard on the leadership, but there's actually might be the correct move. 

I  agree, as don't think this team is ready for a young signal caller to have success.  It will be hard for any QB to play behind a bad Oline and one of the leagues worst D's let alone a rookie.  Constant pressure, negative game scripts and constantly having to play catch up is a recipe for disaster Also who knows what will happen with Jacobs as he will most likely hold out without a long term extension, which I also don't thin he should get.  He's a good RB but not an elite stud like AP that you back the truck up for. 

If we have an A+ draft and we can see we have some solid long term pieces to build around outside of Maxx I would be more inclined to take a QB but until this front office can show me some glimmer of competence in signing/ drafting talent the risk is too great at drafting a young QB now, especially if they are thinking about trading up for one.  That would be foolish. 

I also think the 1st round pick at 7 or after a trade back needs to be CB or edge.  I don't see the value at RT for us.  Obviously we need a RT as JE is a bum but I we have a ton of holes to fill and a stud CB or Edge will have a much greater impact than a RT.  If we didn't have Miller and we needed a LT then I would say tackle is in play but not in this scenario. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Protecting a QB's blind slide is important, hence a LT having much greater positional value than a RT for a right handed QB. 

This pick needs to be a top player at whatever position they play.  If you had a chance between a top 5 RT, a top 5 edge rusher and a top 5 CB, RT would be without question 3rd on that list. 

We have Miller who is in the prime of his career at 27.  If we needed a LT then I would say the tackles would very much be in play but Miller projects to be protecting our QB's blind slide for many more years.  RT value can be had later on in the draft.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz