Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

14 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Him starting healthy is the key. But if I’m correct it wasn’t a weight issue why he couldn’t get back to the field last year. It was that dumbass Van Roten getting bullied that caused the injury which looked very severe. I’m not sure how being in any better shape could of helped a freak injury like that? 

I think his football shape was in question when he showed up to camp for starters. And on top of that Lawson worked him every single day, so everything surrounding him wasn't positive last TC. And then on top of that he got injured and it lingered. So there wasn't a single ounce of positivity surrounding him last TC.

We'll see how it goes this TC. Because Lawson is back and We've added a couple more DEs that are legit that he has to take reps against. Iron sharpens Iron. But you hate to see either side of the ball getting worked constantly. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think his football shape was in question when he showed up to camp for starters. And on top of that Lawson worked him every single day, so everything surrounding him wasn't positive last TC. And then on top of that he got injured and it lingered. So there wasn't a single ounce of positivity surrounding him last TC.

I realize that blaming Becton for being out last year is silly.  Either the Jets were incorrect in their medical assessment or Becton healed too slowly for their liking.  Either way we will never know.

My biggest issue is the optics of Becton's attitude.  Adding to what was stated above, he had nagging injuries as a rookie that caused him to miss time.  Injury prone?  Unable to play through pain?  Unlucky?  Who knows.  But he had a chance to squash the murmurs and he only exasperated them with his weight gain, missing voluntary OTA's, his stupid "Big Bust" shirt and then showing up to minicamp out of shape.  When you have a target on your back you should be doing everything to remove that target.  Becton is not.

And before anyone gets on me about him missing voluntary camp with a baby due, hear me out.  If it was just that it would be no issue.  But when you couple that small thing with all the others it gets magnified.  Many players show up to team activities with a spouse about to give birth.  He just added one more item to his list of things.

Hopefully he will be in proper shape for TC and ready for week 1.  Hopefully he will play as well or better than his rookie year without missing time to nagging injuries.  Then, hopefully, all this crap will be forgotten.

I have 2 kids so I know the excitement and need to be there for your wife when they're about to have a baby. But to show the difference in desire to be great. Jeff Smith was just with Wilson and co in Idaho when his baby is expected in 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I have 2 kids so I know the excitement and need to be there for your wife when they're about to have a baby. But to show the difference in desire to be great. Jeff Smith was just with Wilson and co in Idaho when his baby is expected in 2 weeks.

I know he is basically a lost cause at this point, but I'm pretty disappointed that Mims wasn't there. Guy should be doing everything little thing he can to save his career.

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

I know he is basically a lost cause at this point, but I'm pretty disappointed that Mims wasn't there. Guy should be doing everything little thing he can to save his career.

I wouldn't say he's lost cause bc after all he is starting OT for us. Fact is bc he seems to have a tad of an ego (which I think most pro athletes all do to an extent). Is that he for real thinks he's going to win the LT spot in TC. And I just don't see that happening.

Not sure why Davis and Mims weren't both there at Wilsons getaway. Would love to hear why from either of them. Not only just for work before TC, but for team building. 

On 7/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, Bobby816 said:

Saw that same picture. The debate is how recent that picture is though. I hope it is, bc he did look in good shape in the pic. We'll find out for ourselves here in 2 weeks

Damn shame it’s come to that with him. Kid has all the talent and potential in the world. 

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Damn shame it’s come to that with him. Kid has all the talent and potential in the world. 

The league is littered with ex players who had all the talent in the world but not between the ears or the heart.  Its a brutal business.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn't say he's lost cause bc after all he is starting OT for us. Fact is bc he seems to have a tad of an ego (which I think most pro athletes all do to an extent). Is that he for real thinks he's going to win the LT spot in TC. And I just don't see that happening.

Not sure why Davis and Mims weren't both there at Wilsons getaway. Would love to hear why from either of them. Not only just for work before TC, but for team building. 

I wasn't calling becton a lost cause. That was completely about mims.

I have zero interest in trading Becton or giving up on him. I think the team needs to go continue to try and find ways to reach him and coach him. All these high first round busts we have aren't coincidental. It's because we fall to coach them up right.  Who knows, maybe the guy needs a therapist or some sort of motivational coach. Our coaches have to figure it out. 

48 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I wasn't calling becton a lost cause. That was completely about mims.

I have zero interest in trading Becton or giving up on him. I think the team needs to go continue to try and find ways to reach him and coach him. All these high first round busts we have aren't coincidental. It's because we fall to coach them up right.  Who knows, maybe the guy needs a therapist or some sort of motivational coach. Our coaches have to figure it out. 

Ya Mims is going to need injuries to happen to even have a shot with us. When you’re the 5th WR on the depth chart… your opportunities are limited.

6 hours ago, drew39k said:

All these high first round busts we have aren't coincidental. It's because we fall to coach them up right.  Who knows, maybe the guy needs a therapist or some sort of motivational coach. Our coaches have to figure it out. 

Comparing Mac picks to JD picks is apples to oranges but I get your point. While I agree that it is a coaches job to motivate and develop, but the player has to want that. Does Becton?  Who knows. Let’s also not ignore the millions of reasons ($) to be self motivated.

I certainly hope he comes to camp in shape and ready to fight for his job back. Whether he plays LT or RT, I hope he plays with a nasty streak to show up all the doubters.  There is just too much smoke here for comfort. On the positive side of this soap opera, we have not yet signed a vet OT. If we do prior to the season, well……..