Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Kareem Hunt got 8 games and I feel like if we are using that as a barometer, this is going to be MUCH more significant. Given the minimum of 4 more unsettled cases, this won’t end anytime soon.

Kareem was caught on tape. Without proof I don’t think you could judge those situations from a PR standpoint. We still don’t know 100% what Watson did. We know what Kareem did and there’s footages consistently shown. 

I get you trying to find a barometer but I just don’t see that judge looking at it like that. 

Just now, Daniel said:

And just to fight the completely illogical idea that this is a grab for money: if that's a thing, why do we not see it all the time, with every big athlete?  Why wasn't Big Ben targeted by a ton of women who saw the floodgates open after his multiple settlements.  What about Peyton Manning, after it came out that he did a massage-based sexual assault while at UT?  Where were the dozens of women that came after them after that money dinnerbell was rung publicly?

I guess Deshaun Watson is just a uniquely persecuted individual.

Or he just sexually assaulted a lot of women.

You’d think a concept as brainlessly simple as this would be easy to grasp.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Well, there is one thing that's incorrect.

At least in Tennessee (most other states too, but I don't know about Texas specifically), the charges don't have to go through the grand jury for someone to be charged and arrested.  Many cases go through the General Sessions Court first, where misdemeanors and other small matters can be settled, but felonies can't be, and jury trials can't happen.  Most cases do.

If the case goes beyond General Sessions, or for any other reason the prosecutor wants, it would then be presented to a grand jury.  Then it could be taken up at the trial court level, where the rules of procedure apply and where jury trials can happen.

Oftentimes, once a complaint is filed, the person is arrested.  For less serious charges, they may only be served with a criminal summons giving them their court date.  However, the police can simply take the report and never take out a charge.  Our firm had an incident where we tried to get the local PD to charge a guy after he shot a realtor trying to sell our client's home (because they live next to the kind of guy who shoots realtors) and they refused, because they didn't want to deal with it.  There was nothing we could do.

In this case, Watson's celebrity status would likely prevent the police from acting normally.  That happens a lot too.

That said, sexual assault cases are notoriously handled arbitrarily, cop to cop.  Some will be gung ho about it, even in cases where the proof is extremely poor, or the alleged victim is (provably) lying, where others will ignore cases with even good proof because "they were asking for it" or whatever dumb reason, while others fall anywhere else in that spectrum.

As for going immediately, you very rarely see that.  I do mostly criminal law, and I've probably handled 30 or 40 sexual assault cases at least, and I can't recall one where the victim went straight to the police.  Being sexually assaulted is an extremely traumatic event, and it's very common for victims to not go to the police for years, or even to blame someone else at first only to recant later because they're scared of the actual perpetrator.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Like 2

The cases I’ve prosecuted where victims of sexual assault made immediate reports are significantly outnumbered by delayed reporting cases. In fact, I could probably count the number of immediate report cases on one hand.

We routinely utilize expert testimony to explain why victims only incredibly rarely immediately report because jurors often use that as a reason to be skeptical.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And just to fight the completely illogical idea that this is a grab for money: if that's a thing, why do we not see it all the time, with every big athlete?  Why wasn't Big Ben targeted by a ton of women who saw the floodgates open after his multiple settlements.  What about Peyton Manning, after it came out that he did a massage-based sexual assault while at UT?  Where were the dozens of women that came after them after that money dinnerbell was rung publicly?

I guess Deshaun Watson is just a uniquely persecuted individual.

Or he just sexually assaulted a lot of women.

Are you talking about the 20 who settled because he made them feel uncomfortable on some level or the 4 still remaining? (of course this is an oversimplification but not all 24 cases are the same or even close)

Or the 65+ because he lives his life differently than you so he must be a lesser being?

Did Manning get massages from 65+ people?

Did an ambulance chaser drum up cases against Manning?

Was there a pandemic which affected the livelihoods of those nonexistent 65+ masseuses in the late 90's?

Your random anecdote is not proof of anything. I suggest taking a course on logic or at least reading up on logical fallacies because you clearly don't know anything about it. You should not use words like illogical without knowing what they mean.

This is the same guy who was the ring leader of the unironic “LamaRB can’t throw” Browns brigade that would shoehorn that garb into every unrelated thread they could even after his unanimous MVP - if you’re surprised he’s digging in on a stupid point you haven’t been paying attention (or visited enough ravens/browns threads)

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Side note, if I was Calvin Ridley and ee Watson gets the same or a lesser suspension than I did, I would be throwing a fit.

Logic 101

Calvin Ridley violated the basic rule of NFL integrity in betting on his sport.

They have 100% clear and obvious proof of this.

He literally has nothing to do with anyone else who is not gambling on NFL games.

Not steroids, not sexual assault, not hitting your kid, not DUI, nothing.

He can throw as many useless fits as he wants. Its not relevant.

6 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Are you talking about the 20 who settled because he made them feel uncomfortable on some level or the 4 still remaining? (of course this is an oversimplification but not all 24 cases are the same or even close)

Or the 65+ because he lives his life differently than you so he must be a lesser being?

Did Manning get massages from 65+ people?

Did an ambulance chaser drum up cases against Manning?

Was there a pandemic which affected the livelihoods of those nonexistent 65+ masseuses in the late 90's?

Your random anecdote is not proof of anything. I suggest taking a course on logic or at least reading up on logical fallacies because you clearly don't know anything about it. You should not use words like illogical without knowing what they mean.

Let's keep away from personal attacks.

But FYI, logic is generally one of those things that does occasionally come up in law school, Mr. Ad hominem.  Well aware of what it is.

I also know way, way more about legal procedure than you, so you may want to check yourself.

• Like 5