Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 9/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, vikes635 said:

I agree with Strouds accuracy but does he have the mobility and athleticism to avoid the rush. I'm not huge on the Mac Jones style QB. You think he's a better prospect in terms of pure passer than Luck? Lawrence? Goff? I'll definitely tune in to few more games of his either way, thanks for the input.

I would say so but for some reason they don’t want to run him one bit. His first career touchdown was like a 50+ yard rushing TD vs MSU. 

there have been one obvious running situations that Stroud has never taken advantage of for some reason 

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Graham Mertz - Made strides and looks like he's got an NFL future, return to school barring big finish to season
Anthony Richardson - All tools, no tool box, undraftable

Bro, stop it. Richardson has only started five games in his career. He was terrible against USF and Kentucky, but he was pretty darn good against Utah and Tennessee. Calling him undraftable without seeing how he grows this year is ridiculous. He's breaking in a completely new, pro-style system. He is raw and has a ways to go, but the flashes are clearly there. The question is if he can ever find consistency. Considering the grace you're giving Graham Mertz after his awful play in the past, I'd think you'd take a more patient approach with Richardson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Bro, stop it. Richardson has only started five games in his career. He was terrible against USF and Kentucky, but he was pretty darn good against Utah and Tennessee. Calling him undraftable without seeing how he grows this year is ridiculous. He's breaking in a completely new, pro-style system. He is raw and has a ways to go, but the flashes are clearly there. The question is if he can ever find consistency. Considering the grace you're giving Graham Mertz after his awful play in the past, I'd think you'd take a more patient approach with Richardson.

lol

Let's settle this right now. They both suck. Both have tons of tools and no toolbox. Richardson is a turd. Mertz is a turd. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol

Let's settle this right now. They both suck. Both have tons of tools and no toolbox. Richardson is a turd. Mertz is a turd. 

Yeah, I'll wait and see how Richardson looks over the second half of the year.

It's starting to look like if you don't get Stroud and you need a QB, you are probably screwed.
Hard to trust any of these QB's really. Maybe Stroud is just another Fields at the NFL level?
My memory of Fields at Ohio State has been tainted by his performance as a Bear, so I can't really recall what Fields looked like going through progressions or how on the money his throws were vs what Stroud looks like.
If you remove Bryce Young from the equation for being to small, there's nobody really pulling away from the rest of the pack to be that 2nd QB off the board besides 30 year old Hendon Hooker. Plenty of season left, but it's bleak out there right now.
Will Rogers is annoying to scout since he only attempts like 3 passes over 20 yards per game and none over 35. 90% of their plays are like 5 yard passes. It's wack. I'm pretty sure he's Minshew. Just not enough arm to be more than a solid backup, and I probably won't see him attempt a 40+ air yard pass until senior bowl or shrine game practices. Hartman is probably another Minshew as well. Leary has a better arm than those 2, but he's not as accurate or as quick reading the coverage. Haven't watched Grayson, but I'm not expecting to be wowed.

Edited by Jeezla

20 hours ago, Jeezla said:

It's starting to look like if you don't get Stroud and you need a QB, you are probably screwed.
Hard to trust any of these QB's really. Maybe Stroud is just another Fields at the NFL level?
My memory of Fields at Ohio State has been tainted by his performance as a Bear, so I can't really recall what Fields looked like going through progressions or how on the money his throws were vs what Stroud looks like.
If you remove Bryce Young from the equation for being to small, there's nobody really pulling away from the rest of the pack to be that 2nd QB off the board besides 30 year old Hendon Hooker. Plenty of season left, but it's bleak out there right now.
Will Rogers is annoying to scout since he only attempts like 3 passes over 20 yards per game and none over 35. 90% of their plays are like 5 yard passes. It's wack. I'm pretty sure he's Minshew. Just not enough arm to be more than a solid backup, and I probably won't see him attempt a 40+ air yard pass until senior bowl or shrine game practices. Hartman is probably another Minshew as well. Leary has a better arm than those 2, but he's not as accurate or as quick reading the coverage. Haven't watched Grayson, but I'm not expecting to be wowed.

Why would anybody remove Bryce Young from the equation for being too small? I feel like that antiquated thinking has to have died by this point.

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

People who want their QB to play 16 or more games

This is why Carson Wentz never gets injured, right? If I need a QB, I'll take my chances on a guy who might get hurt if I think he can play.

EDIT: To put a bow on it, Dak is built like a tank. He's currently hurt (and this isn't the first time he has suffered a serious injury). Jared Goff is skinny as hell. He's managed to largely avoid injuries. Jameis Winston is a big dude. He's currently injured. Trevor Lawrence is a stick figure. He's not injured.

Edited by jrry32

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is why Carson Wentz never gets injured, right? If I need a QB, I'll take my chances on a guy who might get hurt if I think he can play.

Anyone can get hurt, but I'm guessing a dude who is 185/190 pounds tops is more likely to get hurt than the QB who is 225 when the 300 pound DL falls on him. 

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

Anyone can get hurt, but I'm guessing a dude who is 185/190 pounds tops is more likely to get hurt than the QB who is 225 when the 300pound DL falls on him.

Maybe not. Did Bryce Young suffer any injuries in 2021? I can't recall. I'd be worried if it's a pattern. But I don't think durability is as simple as you make it out to be. Some guys are simply more fragile than others, and it doesn't perfectly correlate to size. End of the day, if I need a QB and he's the best option, the possibility of him getting hurt isn't something that would cause me to pass on him.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe not. Did Bryce Young suffer any injuries in 2021? I can't recall. I'd be worried if it's a pattern. But I don't think durability is as simple as you make it out to be. Some guys are simply more fragile than others, and it doesn't perfectly correlate to size. End of the day, if I need a QB and he's the best option, the possibility of him getting hurt isn't something that would cause me to pass on him.

Size matters. That's why you don't see 180 pound lead RB's in the NFL. Their bodies wouldn't hold up, even though they could carry it 20+ times a game in college. Won't be any different for a 185 pound QB after he takes a couple big sacks/hits.

Edited by Jeezla