Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

Levis reminds me of Brett Farve ( college Farve).  I would worry that he has not seemed to pick the team up on his shoulders yet.  Perhaps it is the offense they run.

Stroud reminds me of Russell Wilson from his Wisconsin season.  Arm, quick decisions, accuracy.  Everything a franchise QB needs.

Someone will spend a 1st round pick on Richardson but it is a gamble.  The team would be betting that they can train him up.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Ninersfan1984 said:

Never understood the Phil Jurkovec hype. Just never seemed like an NFL level QB to me. 

There is a ton to like about him and he could be a steal in the later rounds of the draft.  Big tall kid, pretty damn athletic and is tough, strong arm.  Sure he has not progressed like I thought but as a late round guy he is absolutely worth a selection with the athletic tools he has along with his size.  I have not watched much of him this year though, still no way I would not take him in the 4th-7th round.  

• Like 1

Anyone that thinks Bryce Young cannot play needs to pay more attention.  Take this Tennessee game which they could still lose, dude is running for his life back there, has got hit a ton, has receivers that either drop the ball or are wildly inconsistent, not to mention constant penalties from the OL and mistakes in general by the offense with so many false starts by the TE or the RB out wide.

With a probably injured shoulder still, leads the offense and keeps carrying the team out of holes in a totally raucous and crazy environment on the road.  

The dudes field awareness, composure, vision, leadership and temperament is absolutely outstanding, but yeah sure he is little for the QB.  Everything else, hard to knock him for much at all.

The body language Bryce Young showed, despite many of his teammates crapping all over him with penalties, it was very impressive how he could be that supportive and positive with so many errors happening, 17 penalties total, school record for most ever in a game by Alabama.  Young has crazy leadership skills.  

Edited by Ozzy

I am starting to think that these exceptionally talented WRs are making some of these QBs look good.

Jalin Hyatt had a game for the ages. Made Hendon Hooker look good.

Caleb Williams didn't look as good after Jordan Addison's injury. (Jordan Addison was also at Pitt last year making Kenny Pickett look good).

While weapons matter, the better QBs are going to function regardless of the weapons. I will be watching Caleb Williams for another game or two.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Hendon Hooker should be jumping into first round projections any time now.

As a Vols fan, I don't think so.  He plays in an offense that doesnt translate very well to the NFL and he is a very old prospect.

I say this as someone who absolutely adores him, especially right now.

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

As a Vols fan, I don't think so.  He plays in an offense that doesnt translate very well to the NFL and he is a very old prospect.

I say this as someone who absolutely adores him, especially right now.

I've actually been saying Hooker is this years' late riser - akin to guys like Kenny Pickett, somebody nobody was talking about this time last year.

The age concern is subjective, but as Lance Z stated yesterday - it's not like he's a positional player, he plays QB. Nowadays were seeing QBs play into their late 30s (and in one case, into his 40s). Not even Brady, we're seeing fringe elite guys such as Ryan and Rivers getting chances into their late 30s. Even before advances in health management - guys like Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Trent Green, Jon Kitna made a long career out of playing QB.

If Hooker was a positional player, yeah. But as a QB, you can feasibly expect a 12-14 year career from a guy coming in at 25 (assuming health and performance - which isn't an age thing).

12 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

I am starting to think that these exceptionally talented WRs are making some of these QBs look good.

Caleb Williams didn't look as good after Jordan Addison's injury. (Jordan Addison was also at Pitt last year making Kenny Pickett look good).

While weapons matter, the better QBs are going to function regardless of the weapons. I will be watching Caleb Williams for another game or two.

Possibly.

You put Hendon Hooker in the Senior bowl in a typical offense, I doubt he looks like he does in this offense.  The wide hashmarks help in college football and help the spacing in that offense.  Not to mention all the tempo that is ran, the very solid OL they have, Wright could be a first round OT and Mays is one of the better centers in the nation.  They also are sneaky tough, with a big strong TE in Warren who is athletic in the passing game and Fant is a weapon as well as a HB type, they have two very powerful strong RBs that are great when the box is light because of the passing game.  Also helps Hooker in the QB run game when the box is light and spread out.  They spread out the D, and if the numbers say run they run it, if not they throw it out wide and the wide receivers are sometimes super wide of the formation on the wide side of the field.  The stack WR look game Bama fits, sure helped that Eli Rick was hurt and so was Jackson the other solid corner for them...

But yeah put Hooker under center in a typical NFL offense he does not look like he does now, granted will see how he does will all the pressure on him now to win the SEC title, beat Georgia and get to the Playoff.  He is climbing up draft boards no question but not ready to put him 1st round pick yet, he will have to literally beat Georgia, win the SEC title and probably win a game or two in the Playoff then sure maybe anything can happen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I've actually been saying Hooker is this years' late riser - akin to guys like Kenny Pickett, somebody nobody was talking about this time last year.

The age concern is subjective, but as Lance Z stated yesterday - it's not like he's a positional player, he plays QB. Nowadays were seeing QBs play into their late 30s (and in one case, into his 40s). Not even Brady, we're seeing fringe elite guys such as Ryan and Rivers getting chances into their late 30s. Even before advances in health management - guys like Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Trent Green, Jon Kitna made a long career out of playing QB.

If Hooker was a positional player, yeah. But as a QB, you can feasibly expect a 12-14 year career from a guy coming in at 25 (assuming health and performance - which isn't an age thing).

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with this. Kenny Pickett and Joe Burrow were 5th year seniors that weren't talked about a year earlier. But they were both NFL ready coming out. Hendon Hooker will not only be 25 at the 2023 draft, he will not be NFL ready. He will need at least a year to sit and learn. That creates a very risky situation for a franchise. Do they draft a 25 year old project QB?

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly.

You put Hendon Hooker in the Senior bowl in a typical offense, I doubt he looks like he does in this offense.  The wide hashmarks help in college football and help the spacing in that offense.  Not to mention all the tempo that is ran, the very solid OL they have, Wright could be a first round OT and Mays is one of the better centers in the nation.  They also are sneaky tough, with a big strong TE in Warren who is athletic in the passing game and Fant is a weapon as well as a HB type, they have two very powerful strong RBs that are great when the box is light because of the passing game.  Also helps Hooker in the QB run game when the box is light and spread out.  They spread out the D, and if the numbers say run they run it, if not they throw it out wide and the wide receivers are sometimes super wide of the formation on the wide side of the field.  The stack WR look game Bama fits, sure helped that Eli Rick was hurt and so was Jackson the other solid corner for them...

But yeah put Hooker under center in a typical NFL offense he does not look like he does now, granted will see how he does will all the pressure on him now to win the SEC title, beat Georgia and get to the Playoff.  He is climbing up draft boards no question but not ready to put him 1st round pick yet, he will have to literally beat Georgia, win the SEC title and probably win a game or two in the Playoff then sure maybe anything can happen.  

I agree it's the system that makes Hooker look good more than anything else. But Hyatt was virtually uncoverable against Bama.

20 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I agree it's the system that makes Hooker look good more than anything else. But Hyatt was virtually uncoverable against Bama.

I say again Ricks and Jackson were both out so that helped Hyatt, granted Hyatt played great but they had some coverage busts that allowed him to be so wide open as well.  Hyatt has been at Tennessee for three years, he has never looked as good as he has the past few weeks, his conditioning level is very impressive as is his speed obviously.  

Not for sure but I think most of those big players were against #3 Arnold or a safety like Hellams and one on the nickel Moore who has been very disappointing this year I think.  Really that entire Bama D has been disappointing considering the experience they had returning.

Honestly not sure why defenses cannot be as creative and unique as offenses are being.  Almost to the point of why even rush the passer and why not have most just drop in coverage.  Why not just hold your ground and put your hands up, they will throw it so quickly will not be able to get to the QB anyway.  

16 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Be careful, you might open up a discussion you don't wanna have lol

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think that would be a sound argument if Hooker were a traditional pocket passer like the examples you gave. A lot of Hooker's success is based on his mobility and that won't last into his 30s.