Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

Anyone think DJ Uiagalelei end up being QB2 or 3(depending on what people think of Young’s size.) He isn’t really lacking anything as a QB prospect physically, he has size, bulk, some running ability, a great arm, and he has that pedigree of being an elite prospect in high school which I feel can help him, perceiving his jr. Year as living up to his potential in comparison to his poor sophomore year, Hes started off the season well, but if he finishes strong, he has that high end season on his resume with all his tools, which aren’t necessarily Richardson level tools but honestly might be the closet in the class in comparison to him

7 hours ago, PacAttack04 said:

Anyone think DJ Uiagalelei end up being QB2 or 3(depending on what people think of Young’s size.) He isn’t really lacking anything as a QB prospect physically, he has size, bulk, some running ability, a great arm, and he has that pedigree of being an elite prospect in high school which I feel can help him, perceiving his jr. Year as living up to his potential in comparison to his poor sophomore year, Hes started off the season well, but if he finishes strong, he has that high end season on his resume with all his tools, which aren’t necessarily Richardson level tools but honestly might be the closet in the class in comparison to him

I’ve heard so little talk about him that I assumed he wasn’t draft eligible or was 100 percent deadset on not declaring or something. Clemson’s been good, so I don’t know why he’s not getting attention. I guess I need to watch him too now.

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Seems like a lot of people are cooling on Bryce Young. Why?

He smol.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

*Heavy sigh*

Bryce Young has the potential to be a stud QB in the NFL. But to my knowledge, there have only been 3 HoF QBs that were under 6'2" (Farn Tarkenton - 6'0", Joe Montana - 6'1" (listed at 6'2" but wasn't), and Drew Brees - 6'0"). That and Tua being injury prone will likely scare off some.

NW sucks but Mertz's first game post-doofus...

20-29, 299 yards, 5 TD

We'll see how these last 6 games go but Bobby Engram making things much easier on him than the archaic system that Paul Chryst ran. RPOs, multiple guys in space, WR safety valves rather than slow *** TEs, etc. Kid has all the talent in the world.

8 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Bryce Young has the potential to be a stud QB in the NFL. But to my knowledge, there have only been 3 HoF QBs that were under 6'2" (Farn Tarkenton - 6'0", Joe Montana - 6'1" (listed at 6'2" but wasn't), and Drew Brees - 6'0"). That and Tua being injury prone will likely scare off some.

It is worth taking under consideration.  However, how many sub 6'2 QBs get drafted in the first place?  So yeah you can say there haven't been that many great ones in NFL history, but that is because there aren't many that get drafted high.  There's been plenty of tall QBs who have failed, but far more of them get drafted.  Its all about your game.  And Bryce Young is as good as any sub 6'2 QB (as a prospect) in recent memory

DeVonta Smith is a good player to bring up.  I will admit I was concerned about his size a bit (he's hella small) and you can't find many examples of 170lbs WRs cooking in the NFL, but again that is because not many of them get a chance in the first place.  You either got it or you don't.  I don't have a firm opinion on Young yet but from what I've seen, I don't think he deserves to get knocked down for his size.  I'm not concerned about his ability to take hits yet

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It is worth taking under consideration.  However, how many sub 6'2 QBs get drafted in the first place?  So yeah you can say there haven't been that many great ones in NFL history, but that is because there aren't many that get drafted high.  There's been plenty of tall QBs who have failed, but far more of them get drafted.  Its all about your game.  And Bryce Young is as good as any sub 6'2 QB (as a prospect) in recent memory

Ditto DeVonta Smith.  I will admit I was concerned about his size a bit and you can't find many examples of 170lbs WRs cooking in the NFL, but again that is because not many of them get a chance in the first place.  You either got it or you don't.  I don't have a firm opinion on Young yet but from what I've seen, I don't think he deserves to get knocked down for his size.  I'm not concerned about his ability to take hits yet

Oh I know. Re-read the first sentence in my original post.

8 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

So are people still in on Anthony Richardson being a future 1st round pick with another “stellar” performance yesterday lol

I didn’t watch Mizzou-Florida, but looking at the stat line, looks like more of the same.

The thing with Richardson is that if you’re a coach that thinks you can improve him as a passer, the ceiling is absurd.

And significant enough improvement from now to the 2024 draft in that is not unreasonable. But he definitely needs to stay another year. He’s more raw as a passer than Malik Willis was, so that’s probably his draft ceiling as things stand now.

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I didn’t watch Mizzou-Florida, but looking at the stat line, looks like more of the same.

The thing with Richardson is that if you’re a coach that thinks you can improve him as a passer, the ceiling is absurd.

And significant enough improvement from now to the 2024 draft in that is not unreasonable. But he definitely needs to stay another year. He’s more raw as a passer than Malik Willis was, so that’s probably his draft ceiling as things stand now.

He’s far more raw than Malik Willis at this point. Hard to even compare the 2 as it currently stands. Honestly Richardson is probably closer to Taysom Hill. Seems he may be destined for more of a gadget type athlete role at the next level than as a QB

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

He’s far more raw than Malik Willis at this point. Hard to even compare the 2 as it currently stands. Honestly Richardson is probably closer to Taysom Hill. Seems he may be destined for more of a gadget type athlete role at the next level than as a QB

Richardson attempted 24 passes in the last two games, many QBs attempt that many passes in one half.

I would not call Richardson a more raw passer than Malik Willis, if anything he is a little more advanced just does not play in a passing offense really.  In terms of being able to throw off platform from different arm angles I would say Richardson is more advanced than Willis was.

These QBs should all return to school most likely and all can as far as I know.

Jayden Daniels LSU RS JR
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS JR
JT Daniels West Virginia RS JR
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS JR
Gerry Bohanon USF RS JR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS JR
Will Rogers Miss State JR

Tyler Shough might return because I think he has been hurt most of the year but it is his 5th season, Penix might declare and same with Hartman and McCall but might be better for all to return unless they have a great rest of the season, same with Rattler.   Leary for sure could return and honestly Travis should as well.  

Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS JR
Devin Leary NC State RS JR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS JR

Either way someone will drop in the draft just on numbers and would be a decent quality as a UDFA.  One of these guys or all of them really could fall to being a UDFA.   If some of the guys listed above declare then even more will fall as a UDFA.  

Max Duggan TCU
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Kedon Slovis Pitt
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS
Aidan O'Connell Purdue
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS

These guys are most likely to all declare but will see, still 13 QBs not sure that many even get drafted, I think two years ago was 10 and 5 were in the 1st round.  Last year was 9.

Bryce Young Alabama JR
CJ Stroud Ohio State RS SOPH
Anthony Richardson Florida RS SOPH
Will Levis Kentucky RS
DJ Uiagalelei Clemson JR
Jaren Hall BYU RS JR
Bo Nix Oregon
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR

So in terms of getting a decent UDFA QB in 2023 chances are pretty high.  

7 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Seems like people really cooled down on this class.

If Wilson, Lance, and Fields were in this draft do they all go above Stroud/Young?

Wilson and Fields do. Lance probably goes above Young for me.

Fields is honestly the biggest reason I’m down on Stroud.

• Like 1