Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

So, after watching a bunch of these guys, my updated rankings and thoughts:

1. CJ Stroud: Number 1 by default.  Not impressive in the way that QB1s usually are, and as bad a take as this is, he doesn't wow like Fields did before him, and he's not worked out.  Either way, he has all the tools to be a starting NFL QB, which puts him ahead of all these traits guys.  Should go top 10.  Better prospect than Pickett, at least.

2. Bryce Young: He does well, and he looks good, but he is probably too small to play in the NFL.  Still, small guys have succeeded in the NFL before, so someone will take a chance on him.  Late first/early second, but I could see some teams just removing him from their draft boards completely.

3. Jarran Hall: Hall has the consistency that a lot of the traits guys beneath him lack.  Doesn't wow, but he doesn't make big mistakes either, with a little athleticism to boot.  Looks like a guy who would be a low end starter or high end backup.

4. Hendon Hooker: I'm a UT fan, and I never thought I'd put him this high.  The gimmicky offense makes him look better than he is, but accuracy, vision, and athleticism are there in spades on the tape we have, which again, is a gimmicky offense, but it still asks him to do some pro things.  I seem to worry about his age more than many, but I think he's at about the level of a Desmond Ridder as a prospect if you don't take that into account.

5. Will Levis: Man, people really want elite Levis to happen, but it's just not there.  Levis is a potential riser, because it seems like he's physically gifted, but so are a lot of other guys in the class.  And he just lacks a lot of the tools a QB has to have at this time.  I just don't see this big upside though, since he doesn't seem like a gifted runner.  I guess it's a big arm?

6. Anthony Richardson: He's this high solely on talent.  He's not even close to ready for the NFL, but his traits make him worth taking a chance on in the middle rounds if he were to do the unthinkable and declare for the draft, and it were held right now.  His stock would probably vary wildly depending on who you talked to.  Could rise drastically if he starts to get his act together toward the back half of the season.

Pennix did not impress, and looks like a backup, while Jefferson is as raw as Richardson without the occasionally dynamic throwing.  Washington State QB, NC State QB, Wake QB, and McCall are still on my to watch lists.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

So, after watching a bunch of these guys, my updated rankings and thoughts:

1. CJ Stroud: Number 1 by default.  Not impressive in the way that QB1s usually are, and as bad a take as this is, he doesn't wow like Fields did before him, and he's not worked out.  Either way, he has all the tools to be a starting NFL QB, which puts him ahead of all these traits guys.  Should go top 10.  Better prospect than Pickett, at least.

2. Bryce Young: He does well, and he looks good, but he is probably too small to play in the NFL.  Still, small guys have succeeded in the NFL before, so someone will take a chance on him.  Late first/early second, but I could see some teams just removing him from their draft boards completely.

3. Jarran Hall: Hall has the consistency that a lot of the traits guys beneath him lack.  Doesn't wow, but he doesn't make big mistakes either, with a little athleticism to boot.  Looks like a guy who would be a low end starter or high end backup.

4. Hendon Hooker: I'm a UT fan, and I never thought I'd put him this high.  The gimmicky offense makes him look better than he is, but accuracy, vision, and athleticism are there in spades on the tape we have, which again, is a gimmicky offense, but it still asks him to do some pro things.  I seem to worry about his age more than many, but I think he's at about the level of a Desmond Ridder as a prospect if you don't take that into account.

5. Will Levis: Man, people really want elite Levis to happen, but it's just not there.  Levis is a potential riser, because it seems like he's physically gifted, but so are a lot of other guys in the class.  And he just lacks a lot of the tools a QB has to have at this time.  I just don't see this big upside though, since he doesn't seem like a gifted runner.  I guess it's a big arm?

6. Anthony Richardson: He's this high solely on talent.  He's not even close to ready for the NFL, but his traits make him worth taking a chance on in the middle rounds if he were to do the unthinkable and declare for the draft, and it were held right now.  His stock would probably vary wildly depending on who you talked to.  Could rise drastically if he starts to get his act together toward the back half of the season.

Pennix did not impress, and looks like a backup, while Jefferson is as raw as Richardson without the occasionally dynamic throwing.  Washington State QB, NC State QB, Wake QB, and McCall are still on my to watch lists.

Now that you’re in BDL 👀

On 10/3/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bullet Club said:

Anthony Richardson is one of those A+ talent, but not actually good at QB guys. He's a mile away from being an NFL passer. But if I've learned anything the last few years it's that being an athletic phenom can take you a long ways and buy you time to develop.

I'd take a wait and see approach with him. He's been improving dramatically over the last few weeks. Keep in mind that he hasn't even started half a season's worth of games in his career yet. And he was a very raw kid out of high school. My big concern with him is durability. He gets nicked up a lot.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Might as well make peace with Levis being QB3.

I'm not trying to be contrarian, but I really just do not see it.  I've watched a game and a half now (half of Florida and all of Ole Miss), and like, sure, he can make all the throws, but you can say that about almost any pretty good starting QB.  If you aren't making those throws consistently, it doesn't really mean much IMO.  Just way too many errant throws.  And it's not like he adds another element as a runner either.

I'm also not sure about Young as QB2.  He's just so small, it really seems like someone should be able to leapfrog him.  Levis could, but I need to see him be able to do actual NFL QB things consistently before I can get on that bandwagon.

Still got a lot of season to go though.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'm not trying to be contrarian, but I really just do not see it.  I've watched a game and a half now (half of Florida and all of Ole Miss), and like, sure, he can make all the throws, but you can say that about almost any pretty good starting QB.  If you aren't making those throws consistently, it doesn't really mean much IMO.  Just way too many errant throws.  And it's not like he adds another element as a runner either.

I'm also not sure about Young as QB2.  He's just so small, it really seems like someone should be able to leapfrog him.  Levis could, but I need to see him be able to do actual NFL QB things consistently before I can get on that bandwagon.

Still got a lot of season to go though.

I wasn't trying to suggest you were.  It's really not that good of a QB class.  Every year, we get enamored with next year's QB class and how it'll be better than the current one.  Not saying it's always the case, but more often than not we look to the next year's class with a bit more optimism.  I honestly don't think this year's class is going to be any different.  I've got Stroud as QB1 by default.  That's not to say I don't like him, but he's clearly a tier below guys like Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck as prospects.  Bryce Young is my QB2 again almost by default.  After those two, I'm not sure there is a starting QB in the NFL.  Van Dyke has looked awful when I've watched him, Levis is underwhelming, etc.  Speaking of Levis, I get Tannehill vibes from him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't trying to suggest you were.  It's really not that good of a QB class.  Every year, we get enamored with next year's QB class and how it'll be better than the current one.  Not saying it's always the case, but more often than not we look to the next year's class with a bit more optimism.  I honestly don't think this year's class is going to be any different.  I've got Stroud as QB1 by default.  That's not to say I don't like him, but he's clearly a tier below guys like Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck as prospects.  Bryce Young is my QB2 again almost by default.  After those two, I'm not sure there is a starting QB in the NFL.  Van Dyke has looked awful when I've watched him, Levis is underwhelming, etc.  Speaking of Levis, I get Tannehill vibes from him.

I agree wholeheartedly.  We got a lot of traits guys, but that's really it.  Traits guys have not had an overall great record in the NFL either, so it's hard to get excited.  I will say there are a good number of guys who look like they may have the talent to go in the middle rounds, so if it were a different position, you could still call it a strong class.  But with QBs, it's all or nothing, so having lots of high end backups doesn't mean much.

I did watch most of McCall against Georgia Southern, and he's not gonna jump up there either.  Athletic, and a lot of the mental aspect seems to be there, but that offense is zero snaps under center, and I don't know if he has a strong enough arm to be an NFL QB.  Like, you can see the lack of zip on his ball.  That and level of competition means he may still be a guy someone likes enough to take, but it won't be as QB1.

54 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  We got a lot of traits guys, but that's really it.  Traits guys have not had an overall great record in the NFL either, so it's hard to get excited.  I will say there are a good number of guys who look like they may have the talent to go in the middle rounds, so if it were a different position, you could still call it a strong class.  But with QBs, it's all or nothing, so having lots of high end backups doesn't mean much.

I did watch most of McCall against Georgia Southern, and he's not gonna jump up there either.  Athletic, and a lot of the mental aspect seems to be there, but that offense is zero snaps under center, and I don't know if he has a strong enough arm to be an NFL QB.  Like, you can see the lack of zip on his ball.  That and level of competition means he may still be a guy someone likes enough to take, but it won't be as QB1.

I mean, it's just not a great QB class unless you're a big believer in Stroud and/or Young.  Your QB3 (Hall) is going to be a 25 year old rookie with limited physical tools.  He's probably closer to being an UDFA than he is being a first 96 pick.  Same with Hooker, although he's probably more appealing given his physical frame.  I had Tanner McKee as a bit of a darkhorse coming into the season, but he hasn't played very well.  Phil Jurkovec is a bit on the older side, and he's struggling as well. Anthony Richardson might be the boom-or-bust QB prospect in the draft.  Rattler still can't get his play straight.  Grayson McCall might be the best by default.