Week 11 GDT: Patriots vs Raiders

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

2 minutes ago, G said:

Titans, Ravens, Bills are ahead of us for playoffs and KC is only 2 games up on us. It's not over but we look BLAH!!!

I'd rather we squeek in (healthy) and then see what we can do rather than last season's limp in without our QB.

if we play like this. no point rather have draft picks

44 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

That doesn't excuse only putting up a garbage time touchdown against them coming after a bye week.  I don't care if you wanna call them the worst of all time or middle of the pack.  I'm disgusted today.  Hell, I've been disgusted pretty much all season.  This is absolutely pathetic.  

Apologies for the venting, but I had to just get it out.

I don't think one can vent correctly about our offense without breaking forum language rules.

I personally believe the deficiencies lie mostly on coaching and drafting.  We've had so many misses in the draft the past few years.  But at the same time I can't help but feel like our players aren't succeeding because they aren't schematically in position to succeed.  The GM and coaches need to be in sync a bit better, and we need better coaching.  Week in and week out teams are mopping the floor with us.  I don't think its simply due to luck, injuries, or poor execution.  Although they all do play a part. 

Look at the *sigh* Rams.  Sure, they got Phillips for DC.  But their offense was anemic last season.  Now they're lighting it up without any marquee guys outside of Gurley.

2 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Huge for my fantasy team at least

The only think that got me thru the day was Brady edging me to a win with 30+ points.

56 minutes ago, G said:

Titans, Ravens, Bills are ahead of us for playoffs and KC is only 2 games up on us. It's not over but we look BLAH!!!

I'd rather we squeek in (healthy) and then see what we can do rather than last season's limp in without our QB.

Yeah, I will will always root for the playoffs and a chance to do something special over a better draft slot.

25 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I personally believe the deficiencies lie mostly on coaching and drafting.  We've had so many misses in the draft the past few years.  But at the same time I can't help but feel like our players aren't succeeding because they aren't schematically in position to succeed.  The GM and coaches need to be in sync a bit better, and we need better coaching.  Week in and week out teams are mopping the floor with us.  I don't think its simply due to luck, injuries, or poor execution.  Although they all do play a part. 

Look at the *sigh* Rams.  Sure, they got Phillips for DC.  But their offense was anemic last season.  Now they're lighting it up without any marquee guys outside of Gurley.

I agree with all of this, but the bolded is a big problem.  To me, it's been a bigger problem on defense for several seasons, but now it seems as if it's becoming a problem on offense as well.

I think the other big problem with our drafting is that we've made some developmental reaches, but there's very little evidence this coaching staff has really "developed" anyone other than Carr (and who knows how much of that was the product of anyone who is still on the staff).

The coaching staff and front office don't seem like they are on the same page.  And they're at risk of not even being in the same book.

As an aside, that front office/coaching dynamic explains the difficulty in going up against the Patriots.  When you have an excellent coach and (at a minimum) above average GM in the same person, you have an almost unimaginable advantage over the entire league.  Belichick knows what he wants as a coach, and then makes moves as GM to effect it.  Belichick has both short and long-term strategies as GM, and then coaches according to them both.  Even the best synced coaching teams/front offices in league history cannot compete with that. 

Edit: I was just thinking about how this plays out in respect of the Cooks trade.  To the extent the idea came from Belichick as coach, he's the only coach in the league who wouldn't have to go to his front office to lobby for the trade or inquire about its cap implications (or the organizational interest trading away a chance at a rookie 4 or 5 year contract for a guy with one more "cheap" rookie year (and a "cheapish" fifth year)).  Conversely, if the idea came from Belichick the GM, he's the only GM who wouldn't have to sell the trade to his coach.  Of course, in reality, the idea for the trade didn't come from Belichick operating in only one of his capacities. And that's the advantage.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

On the bright side of today’s game: Treyvon Hester graded well on PFF in 24 snaps.

This years draft was bad luck for Reggie. He made some really good picks, but injuries to Conley and Obi have "marred" fans first impressions. I thnk Conley's destined to be a star if healthy so I think this class will turn out great.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

if we play like this. no point rather have draft picks

I'd rather get the experience to build upon next season. Draft picks are hit and miss where we'll be picking. Top 5 isn't even a lock for a baller.

Archived