Week 11 GDT: Patriots vs Raiders

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I personally believe the deficiencies lie mostly on coaching and drafting.  We've had so many misses in the draft the past few years.  But at the same time I can't help but feel like our players aren't succeeding because they aren't schematically in position to succeed.  The GM and coaches need to be in sync a bit better, and we need better coaching.  Week in and week out teams are mopping the floor with us.  I don't think its simply due to luck, injuries, or poor execution.  Although they all do play a part. 

Look at the *sigh* Rams.  Sure, they got Phillips for DC.  But their offense was anemic last season.  Now they're lighting it up without any marquee guys outside of Gurley.

basically this is what I've been sayimg about the defense and offense side of things lately. We have enough talent to beat buffalo a few weeks back.. ravens should of been a win. We have poor def scheme and put guys like Sean smith in zone and off man vs guys like hill and cooks when he should be press vs the big dudes. that's one example of many. if mack doesn't sack qb within 1.5 secs he usually gets no sack. u never see raiders get a coverage sack or an holding ball at all long. you domt see a blitz run at qb and force bad throws which lead to an INT.

offense is another thing but we can't even get offense back on field at times. Pats in two drives ate up half the first half. Our offense has drops like woah but they also have limited opportunities some games.

We got exposed badly. Outcoached and outplayed in every sense of the word. We are an 8-8 football team. If we make the playoffs it's because the AFC Six Seed was 8-8 which is actually pretty possible. But no way we make the AFCCG. This team needs to make some serious changes in the off season. Ken Norton Jr. has been the obvious one for a while. I'd give Downing the rest of the year to turn the ship around but if we keep playing this way he should be axed too. I'd even like to axe Del Rio but we know that's not happening. 

I just watched he condensed game up to half and man, Roberts almost singlehandendly (Brady helped) made sure the Raiders could not win this game. A 3rd down drop, false start, and goal line fumble completely erased the Raiders’ chances.

Ya’ll are going to get annoyed with me saying it; But the offensive playcalling looked just fine to me.

Only got to watch until halftime, but that was ugly. 

Not sure how many dropped balls, but it seemed like way too many.

The defense looked like it was getting pick apart underneath easily for the second straight game. 

The Roberts fumble was ridiculous. I believe we had all our timeouts with plenty of time left. No clue what he was thinking or doing.

This team is very frustrating to watch this year.  

12 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Only got to watch until halftime, but that was ugly. 

Not sure how many dropped balls, but it seemed like way too many.

The defense looked like it was getting pick apart underneath easily for the second straight game. 

The Roberts fumble was ridiculous. I believe we had all our timeouts with plenty of time left. No clue what he was thinking or doing.

This team is very frustrating to watch this year.  

All things considered, I thought Carr played pretty well. He had a bad throw on the late game 4th down attempt but otherwise he was dealing pretty well.

23 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I just watched he condensed game up to half and man, Roberts almost singlehandendly (Brady helped) made sure the Raiders could not win this game. A 3rd down drop, false start, and goal line fumble completely erased the Raiders’ chances.

Ya’ll are going to get annoyed with me saying it; But the offensive playcalling looked just fine to me.

There were lots of things not so obvious. Oliwali over lunch on 4th and 1? (Ok that was obvious) No plays designed to even try to get Cooper or Cook the ball, especially after cooks break out game. We're designing generic plays, and not trying to out our people in positions to succeed. It's what OCs do to be safe when they don't have a ton of experience to lean on that helps them be more creative. It's not a knock, it's just one of those things that experience gives you, more knowledge and creativity to lean on.

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

All things considered, I thought Carr played pretty well. He had a bad throw on the late game 4th down attempt but otherwise he was dealing pretty well.

Yeah he didn't look like the problem to me. The pick he threw should have been caught by Holton imo. 

3 minutes ago, NickButera said:

There were lots of things not so obvious. Oliwali over lunch on 4th and 1? (Ok that was obvious) No plays designed to even try to get Cooper or Cook the ball, especially after cooks break out game. We're designing generic plays, and not trying to out our people in positions to succeed. It's what OCs do to be safe when they don't have a ton of experience to lean on that helps them be more creative. It's not a knock, it's just one of those things that experience gives you, more knowledge and creativity to lean on.

I don’t think you watched close enough. Play diversity was very high in this game and has been all season. There was pre and post snap mis-direction. Downing threw the kitchen sink but the team couldn’t execute.

Further, just because Cook had a nice game a couple weeks back doesn’t mean he’s changed from the player he’s been his whole career. For a player like Cook, he’s going to have up games and down games. This week was a down game and was supposed to be an up game for Roberts.

I’m not blindly defending Downing here; he’s been unjustly criticized because the box score doesn’t look like it did last year. I’d still take Downing over Musgrave based on playcalling.

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don’t think you watched close enough. Play diversity was very high in this game and has been all season. There was pre and post snap mis-direction. Downing threw the kitchen sink but the team couldn’t execute.

Further, just because Cook had a nice game a couple weeks back doesn’t mean he’s changed from the player he’s been his whole career. For a player like Cook, he’s going to have up games and down games. This week was a down game and was supposed to be an up game for Roberts.

I’m not blindly defending Downing here; he’s been unjustly criticized because the box score doesn’t look like it did last year. I’d still take Downing over Musgrave based on playcalling.

It's interesting that on NFL Network they are literally talking about the kitchen sick approach as the problem.  They identify it as the reason the offense has struggled (i.e. it has no identity).

I agree that Downing wasn't the biggest problem today, but something remains off, and it isn't just execution.

I'd probably take Downing now over Musgrave if we could say definitively that his ultimate upside will be materially higher than Musgrave's, but there's no way to know that.  For now, because there was no indication that Musgrave wanted to leave or that Downing was at immediate risk of being poached, it looks like the trigger was pulled on that change much too soon and we've wasted at least one year as a result.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

You're fired too!;)

1 hour ago, 808sinfour4time said:

I’d still take Downing over Musgrave

Yep me too. Players not looking focused and on point...

Coaching? maybe

Distracted with Vegas, protests, not living up to expectations? maybe

Someone has a team voodoo collection and is having fun pinning our guys at bad times? maybe

Don't know what it is, but we are OFF. It's not too late but it's not looking good.

2 hours ago, G said:

Yep me too. Players not looking focused and on point...

Coaching? maybe

Distracted with Vegas, protests, not living up to expectations? maybe

Someone has a team voodoo collection and is having fun pinning our guys at bad times? maybe

Don't know what it is, but we are OFF. It's not too late but it's not looking good.

That’s literally coaching. It is a coach’s responsibility during the week to make sure that players can execute the plays they draw up. It’s why there’s practice. They go over it time and a again until players have it down pat. Now i know what some might say, “Maybe they execute in practice but they don’t in games.” To that i say the Raiders have a mentally weak team. If they can’t focus on doing their job then they need to be cut. It’s also really telling that when there are reports of good weeks of practice the Raiders win. They didn’t really say that prior to this game and i attribute that to a lax bye week. Honestly the Raiders should have been much more prepared to beat these guys then they where. On offense the game plan should have been the same as KC, feed Coop in the slot. No idea why Roberts was as important as he was. On defense they should have used the size of the DBs to their advantage and bullied the patriots WRs. This was a comprehensive failure by the coaching staff that had 2 weeks to prepare. In my eyes this isn’t a 8-8 win team but a 6 win one. Honestly if I’m denver I’m putting Paxton Lynch in against the Raiders because they couldn’t defend me at QB. 

Archived