Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not a lot, I’m assuming that’s the general concern.

His UM defenses were suffocating and swarming. That was his staple there. I assume that's what @candyman93 was referring to, that his defense would be scary (good) here in Cleveland.

• Like 1

I cannot stand our offense-centric team. And our offense sucks anyways. I'd rather just get a freaking goon squad together for a few years until Golden State's powerhouse dies down. Then build upon our defensive culture with some really good players.

Having a bad basketball defense is so brutal to watch. I can suffer through scoring droughts but watching a layup festival at the rim every game makes me want to puke.

I think this is going to end up being a great hire. I see him coaching his contract then extending it year by year until we find our coach in waiting. 

I think he’s a great leader and will develop our young guys and build a strong culture and top program. 

We’re going to be professional again

the only concern with going into next year is how we look at our first round pick still and if we want to keep it 

Setting aside the possibility that Beilein could be a high quality and great nba head coach, the timing of the hire seems odd and may point to Dan Gilbert once again making decisions that supersede the front office for a "big fish" hire.

Could be that things were kept quiet due to the delicate nature of hiring a college coach given recruiting classes and interfering with university prestige. None of this of course means it is not a good hire but Altman and co. primarily  had already interviewed over 7 candidates with NBA player development being their main criteria along with an affinity for analytics, as well as a coach with a balanced offensive and defensive philosophy.

Based on reports Altman was centered on Jordi Fernandez as the lead candidate followed by Alex Jensen and Ime Udoka, and had just interviewed his primary candidate in Denver, as well as set up follow-up interviews and scheduled additional ones. The next day we hire Beilein.

Will be interesting to hear reports on how this process really went.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

His UM defenses were suffocating and swarming. That was his staple there. I assume that's what @candyman93 was referring to, that his defense would be scary (good) here in Cleveland.

Problem is you have to have capable defenders. The Cavs were 28th/30 in team defense last year and thats without Kevin Love who is horrific at defense playing 55+ games. With him playing all 82, they would have probably been dead last in team defense. Coaching can help, but you gotta have the horses first.

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes.

I misspoke. His defense is suffocating and aggressive. Honestly, Beilein is the most “NBA Coach” out of everybody in college.

Good hire. He’s what we need right now. Uhh if he can transition. Hopefully we can hire a guy who will assist and learn from him to eventually take over. 

Man if we don’t get one or two we’re screwed. This draft is two deep with potential elite talent. Rest are just role players in waiting. I like Hunter probably next. Mind is semi-right he does remind me of Kawhi, but a Kawhi light. Culver was really disappointing in the tournament tho he does have talent. 

What a crappy time to suck and have the morons change the lottery procedure. Next year looks just as crappy. We really should be looking to get a lottery pick when the one and done rule is gone. MAYBE there will finally be a talent influx we can count on. 

If nothing else, Ohio makes the University of Michigan worse yet again. Stealing old coaches from them has been the theme of this off-season. 

Fine move in my opinion. He is a good coach and this team could use some discipline on the defensive side. 

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If nothing else, Ohio makes the University of Michigan worse yet again. Stealing old coaches from them has been the theme of this off-season. 

Fine move in my opinion. He is a good coach and this team could use some discipline on the defensive side. 

True but JB is an offensive mastermind tho. So I would want him focusing on really improving The offensive game of the players. I think Love might be in line for a good year in JBs offense. It seems like Michigan’s offenses were at there best when they had a skilled big man. 

Getting Zion and JB could be one of the best off seasons the Cavs could have wished for. Also think someone like JA would be huge for JB as well. Since he has really developed his guards at Michigan. 

Just need the cavs to at least land a top4 pick. If they get stuck with 5/6, the tank season was for nothing