Bears 53

dll2000

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Seems his contract is no where near as bad as most though it might be.

I didn't understand the negative reaction in the first place.  We pay him 1.3M this year. Worst case scenario he sucks. If he's cut then the remaining 4.6M is dead money and Poles can choose to either eat the entire 4.6M next year, or split it and only take a 2M hit next year and 2.6 in 2024.  With about 90M expected cap space it's a no brainer to just take the full 4.6 next year. That's only 5%.

Best case scenario he works out and we have a solid OLineman on the roster for cheap for 3 years. Possibly 4 with 5th year option.

1 minute ago, MonserinNC said:

Good signing....I'm not a big Larry Borom guys....i just don't get it haha...he kind of sucks....he did play the game of football but I have no clue why you guys like him so much. same with Charles Leno

I hope he plays football. Otherwise I need reevaluate some things. 😉

10 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Good signing....I'm not a big Larry Borom guys....i just don't get it haha...he kind of sucks....he did play the game of football but I have no clue why you guys like him so much. same with Charles Leno

This is quite interesting, you don't like how Borom looks but you like what we have seen from Leatherwood while with the Raiders.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I didn't understand the negative reaction in the first place.  We pay him 1.3M this year. Worst case scenario he sucks. If he's cut then the remaining 4.6M is dead money and Poles can choose to either eat the entire 4.6M next year, or split it and only take a 2M hit next year and 2.6 in 2024.  With about 90M expected cap space it's a no brainer to just take the full 4.6 next year. That's only 5%.

Best case scenario he works out and we have a solid OLineman on the roster for cheap for 3 years. Possibly 4 with 5th year option.

I think some thought the $5+ million was this year alone given his draft position...for me this is just a sensible move to make...it's obvious Poles had a good grade on him when he scouted him and you don't go from Outland winner to being terrible in just one year...put him at LG behind Whitehair...build his confidence back up this year then you still have control over his contract at a fairly low price for the next 3 years after that when he will only be 24-27 years old...not much downside there as long as we don't try and force him to be the OT he isn't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Wait you are NOT a big Larry Borom?

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think some thought the $5+ million was this year alone given his draft position...for me this is just a sensible move to make...it's obvious Poles had a good grade on him when he scouted him and you don't go from Outland winner to being terrible in just one year...put him at LG behind Whitehair...build his confidence back up this year then you still have control over his contract at a fairly low price for the next 3 years after that when he will only be 24-27 years old...not much downside there as long as we don't try and force him to be the OT he isn't.

It's probably because everyone in the media kept saying "whoever claims him has to take on his $5.9M contract and people just assumed that was for this year since he was a 1st rounder. the details make it far less of a hot take

• Like 1