Bears 53

dll2000

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You used the word "cherry pick." I think that blatantly shows you're insinuating that the vast majority of great college OL are quality pros

Obvious facts tell you they aren’t…many great college OL never even get drafted for a ton of different reason…again you are making assumptions and arguments in your own head that were never said.

Back to the point of the thread I think the ISM pick up is a really good move for the bottom of the roster and see him competing with Petrie when Harry returns…he should be ahead of the learning curve as well having played for a Kubiak last season then under O’Connell this offseason…two very similar offences with a lot of the same concepts as ours.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears have now claimed 7 players, most in the NFL.

He swapped bottom of his roster out with guys with higher potential/ceilings.

Most teams aren't worried about protecting guys because nobody claims them in recent years.  

Poles went and did it.

It will likely be mostly ado about nothing, but he took a lot of guys either playing really well or with high ceilings. 

OL Alex Leatherwood
DT Armani Watts
DB Josh Blackwell
DE Kingsley Johnathan 
LB Sterling Weatherford
TE Trevin Wesco

WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

I would say odds are decent at least one of those 7 will work out.

I mean Watts will be in DL rotation almost for certain.   Leatherwood is 2nd team G or T.

Weatherford might be 2nd team WLB when all is said and done.

With Jones and Pringle hurt, Smith-Marsette is probably WR4.  (MN twitter thinks he is our 2nd best offensive player right now 🙄)

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

A reprise of the N'Keal Harry deal with the Bears sending a small amount of cap relief instead of a pick. Chances are slim that either turn their careers around. But the cost is minimal and there's some upside.

Bears have put together an OL that could easily implode. But it could also produce a few out-of-nowhere talents.

I think chances are far better that Leatherwood turns it around than Harry. He’s been in the league just one year. Harry is on year 4. 

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

remember being high on him in the draft. Needless to say I was wrong.

How were you wrong? He was a rookie starter for a team that won the super bowl, was a 2x pro bowler and 1x all pro, and signed a $60M contract in FA. if anything, that says you were right to be high on him in the draft

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

How were you wrong? He was a rookie starter for a team that won the super bowl, was a 2x pro bowler and 1x all pro, and signed a $60M contract in FA. if anything, that says you were right to be high on him in the draft

That team won the Super bowl on the backs of the defense. Osemele was very up and down in BAL, which is why they didn't resign him, and the Raiders found out why the hard way. His peak was very short lived and def not worth a 2nd.

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think chances are far better that Leatherwood turns it around than Harry. He’s been in the league just one year. Harry is on year 4. 

I think Mustipher is a decent backup but he should also be the low bar.  If they can bring in guys who they think can be as good or better than him, then that's a win IMO. Guys like Leatherwood are perfect for this. Maybe it works out, maybe it don't but there's no real risk in it either.

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think Mustipher is a decent backup but he should also be the low bar.  If they can bring in guys who they think can be as good or better than him, then that's a win IMO. Guys like Leatherwood are perfect for this. Maybe it works out, maybe it don't but there's no real risk in it either.

My thoughts exactly. If Leatherwood can be a capable backup or better for the next 3 seasons that’s found money at his salary. That’s something else we don’t have to address in FA or in the draft. Said it yesterday - these are the exact moves I think we should be making, especially in a pretty clear see-what-we-have season.