What is you favorite / or most hated football colloquialism?

brownie man

I would say my most hated is: 

"Chomping at the bit"

This one literally makes my skin crawl. Hue Jackson used this one so much talking about players who sucked. After each loss "We're chomping at the bit to get back out there! I've just got to go watch the tape." 

I'm literally scared 😭

You hear chomping at the bit alot during training camp because it's so many guys going down with injuries like hamstrings and stuff. I swear I freaking hate this one lol like bro what does that even mean?? Like what is a bit?! I imagine like a dog trying to chew a piece of wood or something lol. 

"Chip on the shoulder" is probably number 2. I heard that one so much. Like 4-5 years of a freaking chip on the shoulder. 

Idk if anyone relates, but if so i'd like to hear some of the other ones out there. 

Edited by brownie man

Most hated: 

"Toughness"

it's such a vague word that doesn't really explain anything about a person or a player. To me, it's just another word you use to describe a player when you can't think of anything nicer to say about his play.

Or

"Good locker room guy"

I hate this with a passion. That's great.....he's nice to players and brings a certain vibe to the locker room. So what?  As a fan I care about what happens on the field. For example, Foles is a nice guy too. He literally makes specialized coffee for the entire team, but he's not any good at football. On the flip side. Players like Richie incognito and JPP were good players but TERRIBLE locker room guys.

Man, I know I could come up with more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I would say my most hated is: 

"Chomping at the bit"

This one literally makes my skin crawl. Hue Jackson used this one so much talking about players who sucked. After each loss "We're chomping at the bit to get back out there! I've just got to go watch the tape." 

I'm literally scared 😭

You hear chomping at the bit alot during training camp because it's so many guys going down with injuries like hamstrings and stuff. I swear I freaking hate this one lol like bro what does that even mean?? Like what is a bit?! I imagine like a dog trying to chew a piece of wood or something lol. 

"Chip on the shoulder" is probably number 2. I heard that one so much. Like 4-5 years of a freaking chip on the shoulder. 

Idk if anyone relates, but if so i'd like to hear some of the other ones out there. 

Chomping the bit is from horse racing. It refers to the piece of tack inside the mouth - a horse that is raring to go (also a horse related term - rearing to go originally) will chomp at the bit. 

I personally hate teams focusing on "execution".  What else are you going to do on the field?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

I personally hate teams focusing on "execution".  What else are you going to do on the field?

I actually think it's fitting IMO.

There's a big difference between a coaches game plan and a players' execution and that's what most coaches/players are referring to when they use this term.

A coach can have a good game plan in mind and prepare his players for it, but it's up the players themselves to actually execute said plan.

For example, if a WR gets wide open and the QB overthrows it and misses him, then I would consider that to be a "good call....but poor execution".

This is actually one thing I hate about some fans in general. They are so quick to blame the coaches for everything.  Whenever a play breaks down....then it's the coaches fault. If a play works out.... then it's a great call and a great play by X player. This doesn't leave very much room for anything in-between.

Which is why the word "execution" is an important to me IMO. 

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:
5 hours ago, scottishpatriot said:

There's a big difference between a coaches game plan and a players' execution and that's what most coaches/players are referring to when they use this term.

Fair enough. I should have been more clear. 

I meant I don't like when in response to any question a player says they just need to get on the field and execute. It's just so bland and vague. 

Agreed with you 100% that coaching a plan plus execution of that plan is essential and that coaches shouldn't always be blamed if the latter goes wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A coach can have a good game plan in mind and prepare his players for it, but it's up the players themselves to actually execute said plan.

For example, if a WR gets wide open and the QB overthrows it and misses him, then I would consider that to be a "good call....but poor execution".

This is actually one thing I hate about some fans in general. They are so quick to blame the coaches for everything.  Whenever a play breaks down....then it's the coaches fault. If a play works out.... then it's a great call and a great play by X player. This doesn't leave very much room for anything in-between.

Which is why the word "execution" is an important to me IMO. 

Who was the coach who was asked about his team's execution and he said he was all for it?