Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

On 8/13/2022 at 5:49 PM, StatKing said:

The Packers have already decided to move on from him. The only reason Jordan Love is still on the roster is because he's cheap and a first round pick. This idea that we are gonna sit him 4-5 years then offer him a 2nd contract is just straight delusional.

Maybe but you still need to let him develop to maximize and future trade if that’s the plan.

Rodgers could also suffer a serious injury and then you need Love to play. 

I got to watch all of about 3 offensive series.  

Only real takeaways I have are....

...perhaps a better CB4 is needed.  I don't like Kevin King and feel he would break on specials, but....even I gotta admit that him as CB4 would be a good move at this point.  Assuming that we "kick the tires" and that he would be on a "vets minimum" deal.

...EDGE3.  Still need one.  I liked Engbare...but he's EDGE4.  Call Mercilus already.  Get him in camp for 2 weeks and let him roll.  If not him, find another proven NFL vet to man that spot.

...Zach Tom impressed me with his work at RT, that is all I saw of him, RT.  He was moving people pretty easily.  And that guys is such a great athlete that it looks natural for him.

....Again, didn't see a lot of Love, but what I saw looked decisive.  He did look better. Critique what you want, there's plenty there, but he did play faster and he look to have a short memory.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...perhaps a better CB4 is needed.  I don't like Kevin King and feel he would break on specials, but....even I gotta admit that him as CB4 would be a good move at this point.  Assuming that we "kick the tires" and that he would be on a "vets minimum" deal.

...EDGE3.  Still need one.  I liked Engbare...but he's EDGE4.  Call Mercilus already.  Get him in camp for 2 weeks and let him roll.  If not him, find another proven NFL vet to man that spot.

...Zach Tom impressed me with his work at RT, that is all I saw of him, RT.  He was moving people pretty easily.  And that guys is such a great athlete that it looks natural for him.

....Again, didn't see a lot of Love, but what I saw looked decisive.  He did look better. Critique what you want, there's plenty there, but he did play faster and he look to have a short memory.

I'm much more concerned about the third safety than either position you mentioned. Both SJC and Nixon played fine and I'd be happy with either as CB4

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm there with you on bringing King back to be CB4. He's not bad when he's healthy, you limit those reps and he's got a better chance to stay healthy and contribute some quality snaps.

Merciless or however it's spelled, retired. Don't think you're gonna get him to GB.

When I went back and looked at the game again, the thing to note on Love is that most of his inaccuracy seemed to be one of two things: 1) to the backs coming out of the backfield (which may or may not be due to a poorly run pass pattern by the back) or 2) throwing about a half a yard to a yard behind where the ball should be placed especially on throws to the sideline.  I don't blame him at all for the first interception.  The second is partially on him for a throw that should have been slightly closer to the sideline.  The third is all on him (both bad decision and bad pass).

I personally think these are both fixable.  Keep working on improving the fundamentals and the speed of the decision making and I think both are going to look better.  I looked at my tape of the Rodgers third season pre-season games, and you see some of the same things.  The fundamentals were greatly improved and the speed of decision making was getting quicker, but was not all there yet.  Hopefully we see the same pattern with Love now that we're in his third season.  I'm hoping that continued improvement will result in more completions and fewer turnovers.

One can only hope he can get there.  His pocket presence was much better along with his footwork.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

When I went back and looked at the game again, the thing to note on Love is that most of his inaccuracy seemed to be one of two things: 1) to the backs coming out of the backfield (which may or may not be due to a poorly run pass pattern by the back) or 2) throwing about a half a yard to a yard behind where the ball should be placed especially on throws to the sideline.  I don't blame him at all for the first interception.  The second is partially on him for a throw that should have been slightly closer to the sideline.  The third is all on him (both bad decision and bad pass).

I personally think these are both fixable.  Keep working on improving the fundamentals and the speed of the decision making and I think both are going to look better.  I looked at my tape of the Rodgers third season pre-season games, and you see some of the same things.  The fundamentals were greatly improved and the speed of decision making was getting quicker, but was not all there yet.  Hopefully we see the same pattern with Love now that we're in his third season.  I'm hoping that continued improvement will result in more completions and fewer turnovers.

One can only hope he can get there.  His pocket presence was much better along with his footwork.

Great post. I'm glad you compared his performance to one of Rodgers when he was at a similar point in his own development. Need more nuanced takes like this when it comes to Love.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Great post. I'm glad you compared his performance to one of Rodgers when he was at a similar point in his own development. Need more nuanced takes like this when it comes to Love.

I was thinking about this just in "I wonder what these guys said about AR at this exact same stage." Look I wanted Love pretty bad that year, but I'm not exactly excited by him right now and after the way AR has played, I wish we didn't. But it's something I'm thinking it's too early to call. Trending in the right direction. TV was killing him with box score scouting this morning though...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Norm said:

I was thinking about this just in "I wonder what these guys said about AR at this exact same stage." Look I wanted Love pretty bad that year, but I'm not exactly excited by him right now and after the way AR has played, I wish we didn't. But it's something I'm thinking it's too early to call. Trending in the right direction. TV was killing him with box score scouting this morning though...

The bolded part is a big, "Jimmy cracked corn!" It's what these wannabe ****s do. 

Edited by Old Guy

44 minutes ago, Norm said:

To be fair...I box score scouted Amari Rodgers from that game.

Kid looks like he is going to do BIG things!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The bolded part is a big, "Jimmy cracked corn!" It's what these wannabe ****s do. 

In their defense they kept saying two of the INTs weren't his fault but never showed them and kept saying he had 3 and it was a rough day lol.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, StatKing said:

At this point all it is about is optics. They know Love cant play, if they thought he had the potential to be a franchise QB they wouldn't have gave a 38 year old QB a market setting deal that runs through his entire rookie contract.

Utter nonsense. Where do you brew up these strange ideas, a cauldron in your basement ?  Eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.............

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Utter nonsense. Where do you brew up these strange ideas, a cauldron in your basement ?  Eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.............

Sorry to burst your bubble but we didnt draft a QB in the first round to sit him his entire rookie contract but thats what's going to end up happening. Don't know where this idea comes from that he has to play a full season before we can declare him a bust.

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but we didnt draft a QB in the first round to sit him his entire rookie contract but thats what's going to end up happening. Don't know where this idea comes from that he has to play a full season before we can declare him a bust.

Sorry dude, they did draft a qb in the 1st round to possibly sit his entire contract and it's worked out rather well overall.  No hurry in putting him into your witches brew quite yet.

• Like 1