Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

52 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Bust. Hit. Hit. Bust. Looks good. Looks good. Looks good. Looks good.

THIS GUY STINKS!

Calling EQ a hit? MVS sure, he’s a true deep threat weapon. Not one we wanted to retain for the dollars he got but a solid player. But EQ stunk, continues to stink, will always stink. Jaire agrees.

Watson doesn’t look good on the bench injured which is why people are venting. Doubs looks like he took a step. He’s a legit WR2 at this pace. Jayden Reed making use of his opportunity.

Look, either you understand the hot hand fallacy people are falling into here or you don’t. Just because we’ve been good at drafting WRs historically doesn’t mean the next one will be good. It also doesn’t mean if we’ve been bad that the next will be bad. It’s just wasted breath to think Gute’s administration is good at drafting WRs because Ted’s was.

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Calling EQ a hit? MVS sure, he’s a true deep threat weapon. Not one we wanted to retain for the dollars he got but a solid player. But EQ stunk, continues to stink, will always stink. Jaire agrees.

Watson doesn’t look good on the bench injured which is why people are venting. Doubs looks like he took a step. He’s a legit WR2 at this pace. Jayden Reed making use of his opportunity.

Look, either you understand the hot hand fallacy people are falling into here or you don’t. Just because we’ve been good at drafting WRs historically doesn’t mean the next one will be good. It also doesn’t mean if we’ve been bad that the next will be bad. It’s just wasted breath to think Gute’s administration is good at drafting WRs because Ted’s was.

He's doubled the career longevity of the average 5th round pick. Played his whole rookie contract for the team. Yeah,  I am. MVS is an undoubted hit in the 5th round. Returned a 5th rounder on his exit 4 years later. How many other 5th rounders brought that kind of return? Still in the league, while most of his fellows arent, regardless your ranking of the player...

Tell me you really believe Watson isn't good. Make it definitive right now. Tell me he's a bust. Aand  hit and hit. People are venting because this is a joke thread. And it's been pointed out multiple times and still going over your head.

You're the one that said he stinks at drafting WR when it's very clear his investments matches return. At worst he's a wash at drafting WRs.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Jon-Eric Sullivan has been scouting for the Packers for 19 years. 

Sam Seale has been scouting for the Packers for 28 years. 

Gute and all the rest of these guys are following a model set by Ron Wolf decades ago.

There is a lot more continuity than you think. 

I got some education out of the debate, sweet. Great point. I’ve seen those two names places. It would be interesting to see a full breakdown of their scouting tree. I’ll say again just so you undertand I’m not being sarcastic, great point, thank you.

I disagree about Ron Wolf’s model being used today though. Ted Thompson was a Ron disciple but he was different. Gutes already broken Ted’s trends. A hard thing to judge in general I guess though.

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I got some education out of the debate, sweet. Great point. I’ve seen those two names places. It would be interesting to see a full breakdown of their scouting tree. I’ll say again just so you undertand I’m not being sarcastic, great point, thank you.

I disagree about Ron Wolf’s model being used today though. Ted Thompson was a Ron disciple but he was different. Gutes already broken Ted’s trends. A hard thing to judge in general I guess though.

I think Wolf's model is still being used. Actually I think Gute is more like Wolf than like Ted. Constantly churning the bottom of the roster and bringing guys in for tryouts. Increased use of free agency.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

He's doubled the career longevity of the average 5th round pick. Played his whole rookie contract for the team. Yeah,  I am. MVS is an undoubted hit in the 5th round. Returned a 5th rounder on his exit 4 years later. How many other 5th rounders brought that kind of return? Still in the league, while most of his fellows arent, regardless your ranking of the player...

Tell me you really believe Watson isn't good. Make it definitive right now. Tell me he's a bust. Aand  hit and hit

You're the one that said he stinks at drafting WR when it's very clear his investments matches return. At worst he's a wash at drafting WRs.

Aright well agree to disagree on EQ, small bananers. 

Watson’s not going to be a bust. He was just too damn raw to be any help last year in combination with injury. His physical skill set can be the top of the class. He should at least be an upgrade to what we had in MVS here.

I’m still a Packer fan. I’m not some blinded by anger fool that’s suddenly cheering against the Packers because I liked a different player better. I much prefer he goes for 250 this week and the thing that actually matters to me (the Packers winning) happens and I get to come back and you guys can take turns laughing in my face. I’ll take that trade. Actually, I think that Watson will have a 200+ yard game before too long here. Some game Love is going to hit him deep twice. I’m a believer in Watson’s physical skill set. I believe MLF will put him in position to use his strengths. I believe he’ll crack 1,000 yards next year if not this year.

I think he’s gonna be somewhere between definite MVS upgrade and couple time Pro Bowler with how that works now. When? Hopefully sooner than later, every week he sits we’re losing out badly because we’re hoping to develop a WR1/QB1 connection that’ll last 10 years.

30 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

You're welcome. If you'd like to continue your education, I highly recommend checking out this "Unsung Heroes" video series the Packers released over the summer. It's a collection of 20-minute interviews with a bunch of Packers personnel guys where they talk about how they got into the business, their approach to scouting and evaluation, lessons they've learned over their careers, and so on. It includes interviews with the following:

• Jon-Eric Sullivan, VP of Player Personnel (Packers scout since 2004)
  • John Wojciechowski, Director of Player Personnel (Packers scout since 2012)
  • Milt Hendrickson, Director of Player Operations (Packers scout since 2019, interned with team in 2004 and spent a bunch of years in Baltimore before returning to Green Bay)
  • Richmond Williams, Director of Pro Personnel (Packers scout since 2012, interned with team in 2007)
  • Lee Gissandaner, Player Personnel Executive (Packers scout since 1998, spent 2015-17 with NYJ)
  • Sam Seale, National Scout (Packers scout since 1995)
  • Brandian Ross, College Scout (Packers scout since 2018)
  • Joe Hueber, College Scout (Packers scout since 2015)

No surprise, they talk about Wolf and TT a lot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

How many people do you think mold a draft pick into being made? I listed Gute as the one holdover. And as you can see, his opinion wasn’t the final say until… J’Mon Moore. MVS. EQ. Amari Rodgers. Watson. Doubs. Reed. Wicks.

Gute stinks at drafting WRs. Jayden Reed looks better than all but Watson/Doubs though. At least nothing higher than a third busted. So maybe we have Gute’s best three in the last two drafts.

Me thinks Wicks finds his way into an Allen Lazard size role at this point too. More PT than he should as they try to use his body in the run game.

common knowledge Ted dropped the ball drafting WR after taking Tae Adams in 2014, people that defend all the jags that came and went from then till Guty finally uses a couple 2nd rounders on Watson and this year Reed, simply do that to defend that inequity, Ted did very well using round 2 every other year on WR, it produced one of the most potent passing attacks this league has ever seen, then he stopped picking WR's

2 hours ago, turf toe said:

common knowledge Ted dropped the ball drafting WR after taking Tae Adams in 2014, people that defend all the jags that came and went from then till Guty finally uses a couple 2nd rounders on Watson and this year Reed, simply do that to defend that inequity, Ted did very well using round 2 every other year on WR, it produced one of the most potent passing attacks this league has ever seen, then he stopped picking WR's

Yeah TT definitely overestimated how good Rodgers should have been with resources dedicated places other than WR. He thought AR could be like a Brady but he didn't have it in him. Bummer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turf toe said:

In 2018 when Gute took over our WRs were Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery. 

Common knowledge that another early draft pick in that room would've been the law of diminishing returns. 2019-2020 we should've been more active in the WR market, but Ted was always keeping the cupboards full.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In 2018 when Gute took over our WRs were Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery. 

Common knowledge that another early draft pick in that room would've been the law of diminishing returns. 2019-2020 we should've been more active in the WR market, but Ted was always keeping the cupboards full.

Nelson was signed by Oakland in March, so scratch him. Montgomery was a RB/KR so scratch him too. That leaves Adams and Cobb. That draft, GB went Moore/MVS/ESB in the 4th/5th/6th.

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We're talking Ted, not Gute. 

But you were talking about 2018, when Gute took over.

More specifically, you were talking about how supposedly that particular corps. didn't need another high pick addition at that point.

Edited by Zycho32
  • Like 1