Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

3 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

But you were talking about 2018, when Gute took over.

More specifically, you were talking about how supposedly that particular corps. didn't need another high pick addition at that point.

If I remember correctly, there was never a WR worth drafting in our 1/2 slot for either two or three years straight  to start Gute’s tenure. It takes one being available to even have the option to take one. Watson/Pickens have honesty been the best two options we’ve ever even had a shot at when it comes to draft day. Another reason trying to get a read on Gute has been difficult—just too small of a sample size.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:26 PM, ChaRisMa said:

Calling EQ a hit? MVS sure, he’s a true deep threat weapon. Not one we wanted to retain for the dollars he got but a solid player. But EQ stunk, continues to stink, will always stink. Jaire agrees.

Watson doesn’t look good on the bench injured which is why people are venting. Doubs looks like he took a step. He’s a legit WR2 at this pace. Jayden Reed making use of his opportunity.

Look, either you understand the hot hand fallacy people are falling into here or you don’t. Just because we’ve been good at drafting WRs historically doesn’t mean the next one will be good. It also doesn’t mean if we’ve been bad that the next will be bad. It’s just wasted breath to think Gute’s administration is good at drafting WRs because Ted’s was.

Gute has found some potential gems in the later rounds so I think the jury is still out on Gute's ability to draft WRs, but the fragility of Watson's hamstring is a major issue.  Did he have hamstring issues in college?

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, HighCalebR said:

He's doubled the career longevity of the average 5th round pick. Played his whole rookie contract for the team. Yeah,  I am. MVS is an undoubted hit in the 5th round. Returned a 5th rounder on his exit 4 years later. How many other 5th rounders brought that kind of return? Still in the league, while most of his fellows arent, regardless your ranking of the player...

Tell me you really believe Watson isn't good. Make it definitive right now. Tell me he's a bust. Aand  hit and hit. People are venting because this is a joke thread. And it's been pointed out multiple times and still going over your head.

You're the one that said he stinks at drafting WR when it's very clear his investments matches return. At worst he's a wash at drafting WRs.

MVS was an awesome pick.  That level of play and the threat of that WR was just a great value.

ESB is not a good WR.  But for where he was drafted?  Yeah, he's fine.  But he's no where near the hit/value/threat that MVS was and is.

Doubs looks like a bonafide #1 WR in the making.  He's got it all.  And he's putting it together.  It isn't his fault that our offensive playcalling for this team is in it's infancy.

Watson has all the physical tools to be an elite WR the likes of which are rarely seen in the NFL.  He may even have the brain for it.  But he's easily the most overhyped offensive player that we've had in like forever because even at his young age, he's routinely injured.  I can't call him a hit yet, though he has absolute immense potential.

I'm so absolutely frustrated with Watson that I'll say this...we should draft another one high.  I like our WR group.  But so far we have been unable to count on Watson.  It would be great to roll out Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Heath....etc.  But with how little Watson has played, we need another big-timer in there.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:39 PM, ChaRisMa said:

I got some education out of the debate, sweet. Great point. I’ve seen those two names places. It would be interesting to see a full breakdown of their scouting tree. I’ll say again just so you undertand I’m not being sarcastic, great point, thank you.

I disagree about Ron Wolf’s model being used today though. Ted Thompson was a Ron disciple but he was different. Gutes already broken Ted’s trends. A hard thing to judge in general I guess though.

this is not how an internet forum is supposed to work

19 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

If I remember correctly, there was never a WR worth drafting in our 1/2 slot for either two or three years straight  to start Gute’s tenure. It takes one being available to even have the option to take one. Watson/Pickens have honesty been the best two options we’ve ever even had a shot at when it comes to draft day. Another reason trying to get a read on Gute has been difficult—just too small of a sample size.

Does that include the Savage pick?  Because that's the one that could have easily been a WR.  But that is the only real pick that it would have made sense, though with a lot of hindsight.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Gute has found some potential gems in the later rounds so I think the jury is still out on Gute's ability to draft WRs, but the fragility of Watson's hamstring is a major issue.  Did he have hamstring issues in college?

I'm not sure.  Looks like he played in 14,16,10,12 games while in college.  So yeah, looks like he probably missed a few. 

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

MVS was an awesome pick.  That level of play and the threat of that WR was just a great value.

ESB is not a good WR.  But for where he was drafted?  Yeah, he's fine.  But he's no where near the hit/value/threat that MVS was and is.

Doubs looks like a bonafide #1 WR in the making.  He's got it all.  And he's putting it together.  It isn't his fault that our offensive playcalling for this team is in it's infancy.

Watson has all the physical tools to be an elite WR the likes of which are rarely seen in the NFL.  He may even have the brain for it.  But he's easily the most overhyped offensive player that we've had in like forever because even at his young age, he's routinely injured.  I can't call him a hit yet, though he has absolute immense potential.

I'm so absolutely frustrated with Watson that I'll say this...we should draft another one high.  I like our WR group.  But so far we have been unable to count on Watson.  It would be great to roll out Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Heath....etc.  But with how little Watson has played, we need another big-timer in there.

I'll just say, I think that room is in a spot where we can let the draft come to us there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I'll just say, I think that room is in a spot where we can let the draft come to us there. 

I am soooo much happier with that room right now than I was a few months ago.  No doubt.

Wicks and Heath showed me a lot more than I had hoped to see.

Reed has eclipsed my expectations for him.

But here's my rub.  Watson is so injury prone.  Doubs has been injury prone.  Reed is tiny.  Wicks and Heath are much more limited WR's.

I'm open, in any round, to a WR that can just solidify that thing even more-so than it is today.

Long way of saying this....I agree with you, only I'll up the ante to any round.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

this is not how an internet forum is supposed to work

I’m happy with 25% education and 75% goofing around. Very much like sophomore geometry class.

Although if I am true to form my math on that is probably way off.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Does that include the Savage pick?  Because that's the one that could have easily been a WR.  But that is the only real pick that it would have made sense, though with a lot of hindsight.

That the same draft as DK Metcalf? Feel like we had a shot at him at one point but the pre draft smoke on him was that he was a total nutsack. 
Point being, at least three stars have to align for us to draft one and they’ve only been aligned a few moments over Gute’s tenure. Probably why I’m bummed we took Watson over Pickens. We traded up for a project when we’ve been dying for an immediate help.

• Like 1