Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

I was surprised when Watson actually caught that ball yesterday. He spread his hands far apart and looked like he was more interested in blocking the ball rather than catching it. That ball was loose in his hands/arms the whole way down to the ground. 

At this point, I don't trust Watson to catch anything thrown his way. His physical and athletic attributes that are very good, but his route running and his ball skills in terms of hands and adjusting to the ball in the air are way below average.

I hope these concerns get addressed and improve over time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I was surprised when Watson actually caught that ball yesterday. He spread his hands far apart and looked like he was more interested in blocking the ball rather than catching it. That ball was loose in his hands/arms the whole way down to the ground. 

At this point, I don't trust Watson to catch anything thrown his way. His physical and athletic attributes that are very good, but his route running and his ball skills in terms of hands and adjusting to the ball in the air are way below average.

I hope these concerns get addressed and improve over time. 

I pray that is as simple as Lasik for Watson.  It worked miracles for Javon Walker.

• Like 1

Watson's greatest asset is his deep ball potential, yet his greatest weakness is tracking the deep ball. They kind of cancel each other out. It feels like every time a deep ball is thrown his way there likely is going to be a reason a play is not made. Tracking the deep ball has always been an issue for him and at some point, you have to wonder if it is even correctable. 

I sent this pre-draft clip to @Norm back around the draft and it has some breakdown of his deep ball issues. In the 7-8 minute portion is one that just made me shake my head, hard to believe it wasn't a TD. 

• Like 2

One constant I've noticed with Watson is his jump ball timing - it sucks.  He leaps for balls too soon.  It's like watching a Center in basketball underestimate how high the referee lofted the ball in the air in the opening tip off.  He seems to be falling to the ground as the ball is coming down.  If he can learn to time his jumps better, he'll have the advantage a majority of the time.  Maybe he does need Lasik - I don't know.  I do think he can make some strides in this area, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Basically Watson is Clifford Franklin. Best comp I can come up with 1.5 years into his pro career. 

I'm both proud and ashamed of myself for understanding this reference without having to resort to google.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, mtsportsfan1 said:

Maybe that's the problem , we have too many nice guys , that's why this team is pillow soft . I'd take and did want Pickens over Watson , he has way more polished skills , a little more dog in him ! We can use more players that have have a little more dog ! Although if you speak out about not liking being a loser you'll get shipped out (Rasual )  This whole thing of being Packer people kinda sucks ! Don't get me wrong , I don't want rapists, murderers , drug addicts but I would love to see some nastiness on this team .

Nice don't mean soft.

Pickens will force his way out of Pitt soon enough. He's a cancer it's easy to see and why he fell in the first place. You're comparing crying baby to being a dog. It's a poor comp from what I can see. I won't say who will have a better career but Pickens will play for the name on the back and WAtson will play for the name on the front. I'll take that always even with a vet team.

• Like 1

Also for Watson would it hurt to get him a few catches earlier in a game. Same with Doubbs.....these guys need to get into a rhythm. I see this happening more over the coming weeks. They need to get opportunities hopefully MLF tosses out the record stuff and just pushes this offense. 

Edited by PACKRULE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Nice don't mean soft.

Pickens will force his way out of Pitt soon enough. He's a cancer it's easy to see and why he fell in the first place. You're comparing crying baby to being a dog. It's a poor comp from what I can see. I won't say who will have a better career but Pickens will play for the name on the back and WAtson will play for the name on the front. I'll take that always even with a vet team.

Problem is that Watson is soft!  I didn't  compare the two , just said I would rather have had Pickens, wouldn't have had to trade up to get him and quite frankly Pickens is a much more polished receiver at this point ! I know the famous Packer people debate! Bleh ! give me  the production over a team guy who doesn't produce ! I'll deal with the headache later. 

17 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Also for Watson would it hurt to get him a few catches earlier in a game. Same with Doubbs.....these guys need to get into a rhythm. I see this happening more over the coming weeks. They need to get opportunities hopefully MLF tosses out the record stuff and just pushes this offense. 

Preach. 

I know this drives @Packerraymond insane, but the fact Watson isn't running five yard drag routes to let him pull away from slower CBs is infuriating. There's no reason that shouldn't be one of our #1 plays against zone. 

It has to be better than the 900th checkdown to a RB on some scat protection bull****. 

• Like 3