Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hope it works again ha.

But seriously, hard to utilize a deep threat player with a QB struggling mightily on the deep threat ball. Watson should've caught the game winner in LV, but Love was late and short on the throw.

It really sucks that he's hurt most of the time.  He's missed more practice and game time than he's played in.  Sure hope he gets the injury bug kicked so he can be an everyday productive player for this team.

So far, he seems like the WR version of Kevin King. Pencil-thin and very athletic, but just has a body that can’t take the strains of NFL play (whether physicality or acceleration, or change-in-direction 🤷‍♂️) & frequently gets stuck with injuries. 

On the other hand, in this season, he has statistically played only 2.5 games worth of snaps so far. So projecting his current stats for 17 games worth of snaps would yield a decent 54/109, 972y, 7td (admittedly, the 77 yarder vs Raiders is doing a lot of ‘work’ here to skew things). 

But hypothetical projection only matters if you can stay on the field. Not ready to write the book on him yet, but maybe I will be by this point next year, if he still hasn’t translated it into reality.

2 hours ago, Laces Out said:

Gutey drafts projects (all draft picks are) higher than they should be all the way back to Gary included at 12 overall.

It's not wonder this team is a mess.

Sucks' the kids' hurt, but that was kinda his MO already, same with Love's college scouting that he hasn't fixed with 3 years as a pro already. ****

Watson played in 52 out of a possible 56 games.  That's playing in 93% in games.  How dare Gute not know that he wasn't going to have soft tissue injuries.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Watson played in 52 out of a possible 56 games.  That's playing in 93% in games.  How dare Gute not know that he wasn't going to have soft tissue injuries.

I do wonder if there's correlation between high RAS athletes and being injury prone. Gute's 1st and 2nd round picks who are high RAS athletes since being here

-Jaire Alexander: constantly injured. Missed nearly the whole season in 2021. Back injury this year

-Rashan Gary: Tore his ACL last year

-Darnell Savage: Has been healthy leading up to this year. Might land on IR this year

-Elgton Jenkins: Tore his ACL last year. Knee injury again this year

-Eric Stokes: Season ending linsfranc injury. Injured again first game back this year

-Myers: Missed 10 games in 2021. Seems to always be dealing with nagging injuries

-Quay Walker: Been healthy, knock on wood 

-Wyatt: Still waiting on confirmation on knee injury. 

-Watson: Hamstrings held together with gum and shoe string 

The only high RAS top draft pick that doesn't have injury problems so far has been Savage and Quay. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I do wonder if there's correlation between high RAS athletes and being injury prone. Gute's 1st and 2nd round picks who are high RAS athletes since being here

-Jaire Alexander: constantly injured. Missed nearly the whole season in 2021. Back injury this year

-Darnell Savage: Has been healthy leading up to this year. Might land on IR this year

-Eric Stokes: Season ending linsfranc injury. Injured again first game back this year

-Myers: Missed 10 games in 2021. Seems to always be dealing with nagging injuries

The only high RAS top draft pick that doesn't have injury problems so far has been Savage and Quay. 

Brian branch got injured twice in 2 games.

Derek Barnetts been injured a few times..

Those are the first 2 low RAS dudes  I thought of.

It's like footballs a violent sport.

Sternberger was injured as soon as he touched an NFL field.

Fackrell has been on the IR.

Shaky Smithson went to IR.

These are off the top of my head subpoptimal athletes who got injured. I'm 99.9% sure there's no real correlation between athleticism and injury. 

There's different ways people are built that I do believe lend themselves to injury, but just because you're fast and jump far you're not more prone to injury than the dude off the couch.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Travon Walker has played in 22 games and has a 9.99 RAS, missing a few games due to an ankle injury.

Aidan Hutchinson has played in 24 games of his career and has a 9.87 RAS.

Kayvon Thibodeaux has played in 21 games and has a 9.67 RAS, missing a few games due to a sprained MCL.

George Pickens has played in 23 games and has a 9.37 RAS, missing some games due to a hamstring injury.

Chris Olave has played in 22 games and has a 8.61 RAS, missing a game due to a concussion.

Wan'Dale Robinson has played in 11 games over the past two seasons and has a 7.36 RAS, missing time coming back from a torn ACL.

Jahan Dotson has played in 19 games over the past two seasons and has a 5.94 RAS, missing time due to a hamstring injury.

On 10/25/2023 at 12:49 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

I have also wondered this on occasion. RAS rewards more for athleticism at higher weights. As athletes get increasing acceleration combined with increasing weights, that means more force applied to ligaments/tendons/connective-tissues during changes-in-direction and acceleration. Maybe we can’t automatically assume that tissue-strength increases equally as weight/explosiveness increases. 

It would be interesting if this was studied on a scientific basis rather than anecdotally. 

it may have a non-zero level of effect on injury rates, even if the effect isn’t as large as people make out. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:55 PM, coachbuns said:

It really sucks that he's hurt most of the time.  He's missed more practice and game time than he's played in.  Sure hope he gets the injury bug kicked so he can be an everyday productive player for this team.

Wasn't he hurt a bunch in college too?

On 10/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Jaire is faking it.

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

I have also wondered this on occasion. RAS rewards more for athleticism at higher weights. As athletes get increasing acceleration combined with increasing weights, that means more force applied to ligaments/tendons/connective-tissues during changes-in-direction and acceleration. Maybe we can’t automatically assume that tissue-strength increases equally as weight/explosiveness increases. 

It would be interesting if this was studied on a scientific basis rather than anecdotally. 

it may have a non-zero level of effect on injury rates, even if the effect isn’t as large as people make out. 

I believe that as well.  You can make muscles stronger.  But there is not a whole lot that you can do for your ligaments, tendons, and bones.  We evolved relatively recently from a chimp-like ape.  Most likely we weren't much more than about 5'5 and 100 pounds.  I don't think there has really been time, or a selection pressure, for stronger connective tissues to compliment the muscle gains from higher calorie diets.