Raiders waive OT Alex Leatherwood; claimed by Bears

.Buzz

People are reading into this too much. In that clip of him getting blown up by an UDFA, he completely takes the defender out of the play by getting pushed back 15 yards. By then, lithe Justin Fields will have ran through the hole left by the overpursuit and scrambled for positive yards and a concussion after a defender late hits him and doesn’t get a flag. I see this as an absolute win. 

• Like 5

On 8/30/2022 at 2:34 PM, FalconFan13 said:

You know im not gonna sit here and act like me and alot of other people on here didn't love alot of those guys as prospects and said we wanted them on our team before the drafts.   Sucks they didn't work out for the Raiders but coming out they were all well liked and most people would have been happy they had been drafted on their own team at the time. 

After a few years of having draft debates and everyone saying I would have done this or that 2 years after the draft we started having a draft day thread where we state who we would pick at the particular selection while the team is on the clock.  Instead of trying to go back and retrace everything that was said over a 4-6 month period it is all in just one thread.  Our guys in the forum completely blow Mayock and Gruden out of the water in the early rounds.  I do not think a single poster did worse.  Where Mayock excelled, because I do not think Gruden made many decisions past the first couple rounds, and killed all of us was round 4 and beyond.  I would really want to listen in on the draft discussions because Mayock was great when it was difficult but absolute trash in the early rounds even when the selections where obvious.

• Like 1

We saved some cap...THANK YOU Da Bears...No bulls... I think he will have a decent career and being cut might help him get things together. If I was the Oline coach, Id ask him what position he wants to compete for and then not move him. Guy needs to get his confidence back and even if he's backing up that one position he should come into his own by the time his contract expires. As far as the Raiders we had a late round rookie doing better so this cut sent a clear message that we will move on. I think that rookie just got a boost of confidence being he made the 53 and not the guy who was given every opportunity to start. Saving cap with bears picking him up makes lemonade out of our lemon. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

They let the raiders off the hook on the money

As I said earlier, the Bears only take on 5.9M for 3 years (albeit fully guaranteed, which is basically meaningless with how much cap space they have coming up).

His cap hits are
2022: 1.3M
2023: 2.0M
2024: 2.6M

This is equivalent to a 2nd round rookie pay scale. The Bengals 2.46 pick in 2021 Jackson Carmen is getting 1.7M, 2.0M, 2.4M over the same years.

Ironically, Leatherwood was slated to go in the 2nd round and was included in some Bears mocks at the time. 

If he works out...great. The Bears essentially get a guy one year removed from being a 2nd round pick on a rookie contract without ever using any capital. If he fails after this year....then the Bears eat 4.6M in dead hit (which is nothing compared to the ~90M expected). 

It worked out for all 3 sides IMO. Change of scenery for him.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

As I said earlier, the Bears only take on 5.9M for 3 years (albeit fully guaranteed, which is basically meaningless with how much cap space they have coming up).

His cap hits are
2022: 1.3M
2023: 2.0M
2024: 2.6M

This is equivalent to a 2nd round rookie pay scale. The Bengals 2.46 pick in 2021 Jackson Carmen is getting 1.7M, 2.0M, 2.4M over the same years.

Ironically, Leatherwood was slated to go in the 2nd round and was included in some Bears mocks at the time. 

If he works out...great. The Bears essentially get a guy one year removed from being a 2nd round pick on a rookie contract without ever using any capital. If he fails after this year....then the Bears eat 4.6M in dead hit (which is nothing compared to the ~90M expected). 

It worked out for all 3 sides IMO. Change of scenery for him.

I didn't say it was a bad move by the bears. Hell, I was interested for the niners. I said they let the raiders off the hook for the money, which they did. Nothing wrong with that, but it did them a solid. 

On 8/30/2022 at 7:58 PM, sayheykid said:

Any team that saw what Gruden did with final personnel say in Tampa and thought "I'll take some of that" deserves everything they get.

Yep, this was the worry for most of the Raiders forum when he was hired and sure enough, our worst fears were realised. Thank goodness for whoever released those emails 😁😁

• Like 3

On 8/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Abe56 said:

Mike Mayock ruined it for every other NFL draft guy on tv ever getting a chance.  Should apologize to the Louis Riddick and Daniel Jeremiah

To be fair...those guys would also be total disasters, most likely.

Talking about and hyping and making fans on their couch excited about prospects, is a completely different skillset than actually putting your *** on the line by drafting a team and being stuck with it.  There's no later hedging, "welllllll i just loved this guy in the draft" and spouting off a handful of factoids to cover the fact you had him ranked behind 4 other busts or whatever.

But it is still kinda funny, how the two guys half the country rely on for "football insight" and particularly around the draft and up and coming players...were so hilariously inept at actually doing it.  The best part though, is that it wasn't even one specific way that they failed.  They failed from overvaluing "character".  They failed from completely missing/overlooking huge "character problems".  They missed on both ends of the athletic spectrum.  They missed on guys from all sorts of different schools and systems.  It was just really impressively bad.