GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Honest question: do any of you other posters go into the opposition's board and defend the Bears like these guys? It's one thing to ask a question or give thoughts. It's another to defend your team endlessly. It seems like this happens no matter who the Bears play. It's really bizarre. 

It's a forum. People come into other team forums to discuss. When blatantly obscene statements are made people are going to question it. Especially when they are spoken in absolutes like quoted above. You have guys in here talking about how the teams haven't practiced the same. Saying this without seeing a single second of the other teams practices. Creating a narrative of how captains got named being indicative of how an organization feels about a player. Without spending a single second around the team. Its regurgitation of the same tired and lazy reporting by people like Peter King who make statements about a team switching their QB by week 6 because he went to 1 single camp practice.......If you want to say that a player being out is going to hurt a teams chances that makes sense. If you want to question how good a rookie QB or young starting QB will be then fine, but pontificating on flat BS is worthy of people calling it into question.

47 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It's a forum. People come into other team forums to discuss. When blatantly obscene statements are made people are going to question it. Especially when they are spoken in absolutes like quoted above. You have guys in here talking about how the teams haven't practiced the same. Saying this without seeing a single second of the other teams practices. Creating a narrative of how captains got named being indicative of how an organization feels about a player. Without spending a single second around the team. Its regurgitation of the same tired and lazy reporting by people like Peter King who make statements about a team switching their QB by week 6 because he went to 1 single camp practice.......If you want to say that a player being out is going to hurt a teams chances that makes sense. If you want to question how good a rookie QB or young starting QB will be then fine, but pontificating on flat BS is worthy of people calling it into question.

Wait until next week when all 16 active members of the Seahawks forum make fun of Lance for not being captain. You're going to have a loooong season.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Obviously it’s better for the bears chances if he doesn’t play, but i hope he does.  I’m not expecting playoffs this year, which I’m sure most, if not all, here would agree with. So this year isn’t about wins and losses for me.  It’s about gauging where we are as a team, an evaluation year essentially.  Kittle playing gives us a more honest assessment of where the defense is.

Also, i love seeing my Hawkeyes play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I mean your QB cares, that makes it a story.  The fact that they brought back Garoppolo and made him the backup, without having played a single snap, including practice all offseason.  That's a story.  On top of that his teammates didn't vote him a captain, when the QB is named captain almost by default.  That's a story.  Will it matter on Sunday, probably not, but all that does speak about.how the team feels about Lance.

And on the topic of conjecture and speculation have you Deen the narratives being peddled about the Bears this year, your talking to the wrong fanbase on that issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It's a forum.

If you want to question how good a rookie QB or young starting QB will be then fine, but pontificating on flat BS is worthy of people calling it into question.

Can you think of one thing TL does better than JF  ?? I can't 

Edited by SLCbear

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Honest question: do any of you other posters go into the opposition's board and defend the Bears like these guys? It's one thing to ask a question or give thoughts. It's another to defend your team endlessly. It seems like this happens no matter who the Bears play. It's really bizarre. 

I've seen a few posters. I don't go into other forums but I don't see anything wrong with it either. 

It's good to hear different opinions and perspectives from different fan bases, especially from fans of the team the Bears are going to play, after all that's what the forum is for. Even if they are a bit defensive about their team. Seemingly every fan is.  Hell, we do it too.

When I started this thread I was going to tag @Forge and @N4L to join in and share their opinions but I thought it was too early at the time. But right now seems good.

8 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Lance being suspect is complete conjecture. He hasn't shown an inability to do anything at the position in his 2 starts. 

I compared Lance to Mitch Trubisky before the draft but I think if anyone can get the most out of Lance it's Shanny.  I like the approach Shanny took with him last year by sitting him instead of throwing him into the fire like the Bears did with Mitch. We'll see.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Back in the day i would actually go to that weeks opponent’s thread and invite them to our GDT with a link to get that discussion going.  Usually went pretty well…divisional weeks got a little testy at times.

Alot of good discussions can be had between fans if the right approach is taken. Even rivals. I converse with Packers fans and Vike all the time.

Playoffs are the worst though. Teams are only a few games away from reaching the ultimate goal and the intensity from fans gets magnified ten fold.

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Alot of good discussions can be had between fans if the right approach is taken. Even rivals. I converse with Packers fans and Vike all the time.

Playoffs are the worst though. Teams are only a few games away from reaching the ultimate goal and the intensity from fans gets magnified ten fold.

Agreed.  I may try to do that some more this year.  Our GDTs can get a bit stale on the days leading up to the game.

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Agreed.  I may try to do that some more this year.  Our GDTs can get a bit stale on the days leading up to the game.

And maybe their GDTs get stale too. So it may not hurt for some of us to venture over there more often either (including myself).