Week 1 GDT: Broncos at Seahawks

broncos_fan _from _uk

My god, I thought some of the fan overreactions in here were bad but the local and National media are totally quitting on Hackett and this team.

We had a sloppy first half, two disastrous goal line fumbles, a lot of penalties and a bone headed coaching decision, and we still outgained the Seahawks by 180 yards and lost by a point. The sky is not falling down and we will learn from those mistakes. I still think we have every chance to make the playoffs. 

34 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

My god, I thought some of the fan overreactions in here were bad but the local and National media are totally quitting on Hackett and this team.

We had a sloppy first half, two disastrous goal line fumbles, a lot of penalties and a bone headed coaching decision, and we still outgained the Seahawks by 180 yards and lost by a point. The sky is not falling down and we will learn from those mistakes. I still think we have every chance to make the playoffs. 

People are stupid and need to relax. It was the first game of the season, and Denver literally had to play as bad as possible and have every break go against them to lose, and that's exactly what happened. Hackett obviously has to prove his clock management/playcalling/adaptation skills can improve, but on the balance we did move the ball up and down the field well, adapted defensively, and should have realistically won that game if even one break goes our way. 

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I watched a lot of the game today and have one huge question, that being, has Wilson actually lost his wheels or is hackett too sold on his system to make use of them? Never saw a sprint out, 1 bootleg, rarely a moving pocket. 

Which portion of the game did you watch? We ran so much bootleg and Play Action. 

In that segment there are 4/5 clips alone of Russell on the move.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I believe Hackett was on the record as saying they wanted to transition Russ to more of a pocket QB and not put him at injury risk with running the ball. I am sure he's not nearly as fast as he was 6 years ago, for example, but I agree with you, would like to see him get out of the pocket a bit and keep the defense honest.

There were a few bootlegs I recall that actually worked quite well. Early on to Beck for like 25+ yards is one I recall, that dropped Saubert TD (and Sutton wide open underneath was another). For how well we were running the football, I thought we definitely should've mixed in a little more play-action, bootlegs, something.

It's that old saying, "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". He can't take the beating he used to and I'm not advocating that. That said, when you've got a guy thats that scary when he's moving you have to use that occasionally, like redzones.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Which portion of the game did you watch? We ran so much bootleg and Play Action. 

In that segment there are 4/5 clips alone of Russell on the move.

The long version highlights. Couldn't find the full game. I don't think I mentioned play action, I saw plenty of that.

Maybe I should have been more specific. What I saw precious little of was Russ outside the Tackles. An early play to Beck, deep roll out, moving pocket and Russ dropped a dime. Beautiful! Not enough. 

What I just watched here makes me more confused. Russ showed good mobility which is great. He hasn't lost his legs. If we traded for him to make him a Tackle Box, drop back passer we really missed the boat. It's been his primary weakness since he entered the league. Just like every NFL short QB not named Brees he has a problem finding downfield receivers when he's in the pocket.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

The long version highlights. Couldn't find the full game. I don't think I mentioned play action, I saw plenty of that.

Maybe I should have been more specific. What I saw precious little of was Russ outside the Tackles. An early play to Beck, deep roll out, moving pocket and Russ dropped a dime. Beautiful! Not enough. 

What I just watched here makes me more confused. Russ showed good mobility which is great. He hasn't lost his legs. If we traded for him to make him a Tackle Box, drop back passer we really missed the boat. It's been his primary weakness since he entered the league. Just like every NFL short QB not named Brees he has a problem finding downfield receivers when he's in the pocket.

Just because Russ is older and not as mobile doesn't make him a weak link on this team, not by a long shot. If he ends up being mediocre, then yes, AKRNA was right. At present, he's one of the brightest spots on this team. Guarantee you if receivers and running backs hold onto balls, especially at critical moments, we aren't having a why didn't Russ win us this game convo. That doesn't even speak to the coaching decisions...we need to fail while daring greatly - they didn't even try and that's the biggest failure. 

56 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Just because Russ is older and not as mobile doesn't make him a weak link on this team, not by a long shot. If he ends up being mediocre, then yes, AKRNA was right. At present, he's one of the brightest spots on this team. Guarantee you if receivers and running backs hold onto balls, especially at critical moments, we aren't having a why didn't Russ win us this game convo. That doesn't even speak to the coaching decisions...we need to fail while daring greatly - they didn't even try and that's the biggest failure. 

Perfect! That my friend is the point. 

I've been a Wilson fan for years. Beat the drum for us to draft him but we got Brock instead. If you walk into any sports bar in Alaska on Sunday the Seahawks are on half the screens so I've seen a lot of him. To defend him every team try's to keep him between the OT's and contain him. On Sunday we did it for them.

From what I've seen between highlights and the film @lomaxgrUKposted my concerns about his health and mobility are unfounded. He's kinda reminiscent  of that scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid where the old man wants Sundance to shoot a bottle. He stands, aims and misses badly, then tells the old guy "I've got to move" . Then quick draws, fires from the waist and blows the bottle up. Russ has to move.

From what little I've seen Hacketts not letting Russ be Russ and that's a crime. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Christ.

I am done with this 1 week hyperbole.

If your take from that game is anything about Russell Wilson, I can't be bothered with it.

I think he was a little off on some throws - maybe shook from the crowd - but overall very happy and excited about his performance. 

Hackett was terrible. The offense getting to the line so late and being so rushed was a huge issue. I feel like that was a major factor in both goal line runs getting blown up. They were individual mistakes but the defense got great jumps with the play clock winding. Just really disappointing execution and a lot of it comes back to preseason. Now I know a first time head coach should have his starters play at least a few drives. 

31 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think he was a little off on some throws - maybe shook from the crowd - but overall very happy and excited about his performance. 

Hackett was terrible. The offense getting to the line so late and being so rushed was a huge issue. I feel like that was a major factor in both goal line runs getting blown up. They were individual mistakes but the defense got great jumps with the play clock winding. Just really disappointing execution and a lot of it comes back to preseason. Now I know a first time head coach should have his starters play at least a few drives. 

I think you should really play your starters for a quarter in preseason week 2 and half of preseason week 3 just to shake the rust off. You might be unlucky enough to suffer a major preseason injury once every five or six years, but I think that’s worth the risk given how sloppy teams have looked when they’ve rested everyone. It’s especially important given how the easier games in our schedule are front loaded, so it’s really important that we hit the ground running this season because it’s going to be very hard to make the playoffs if we are like 6-5 when December hits. 

49 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The offense getting to the line so late and being so rushed was a huge issue. I feel like that was a major factor in both goal line runs getting blown up. They were individual mistakes but the defense got great jumps with the play clock winding.

This was 100% an issue for the Williams fumble.

Glasgow said after the game that Russ changed it from a pass to a run, and Glasgow didn't get the call. That's why Glasgow goes into a pass pro set, thus ends up 3 yards in the backfield, and his guy (Woods I think?) blows the whole thing up that leads to the fumble.

If the call came in at the right time then the audible happens earlier, Russ has more time to communicate the audible and there is likely a totally different result (WHY are you going Shotgun on the 1 yard line anyway ........... Give a HB power to the one of the hardest RBs in the league to stop for no gain).

17 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It's that old saying, "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". He can't take the beating he used to and I'm not advocating that. That said, when you've got a guy thats that scary when he's moving you have to use that occasionally, like redzones.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. The redzone playcalling left something to be desired for sure. Running out of shotgun? Ridiculous. Definitely creative ways to use Russ that weren't done. Whether that's because we don't want to, or didn't want to show too much, who knows. But they should use some of his mobility to their advantage playcalling-wise when possible.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, paul-mac said:

I still think we can win 11 games (HOU, SF, IND, NYJ, at JAX, at TEN, at CAR, ARI plus 3-3 in the division). The only non-division games I’m more worried about are the trips to Baltimore and the Rams.

I want to see what we look like Sunday but I don’t think 11 wins is that far fetched.

Remember last year the Niners were 3-5 in late October, won 7 of their next 9 and then two road wins in the playoffs to reach the NFCCG, and that was with an established HC. 

Hell there have a number of seasons where the Pats started super slowly right out of the gate and went on to win or at least appear in the Super Bowl. 

Monday night everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, yes some of it was self-inflicted and a result of bad coaching, but you can’t expect that to become the norm. And if it does Hackett will be one-and-done as HC, Paton isn’t hamstrung by Ellis and team finances like the recent past, the WP group will have no problem paying another coach. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

51 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I want to see what we look like Sunday but I don’t think 11 wins is that far fetched.

Remember last year the Niners were 3-5 in late October, won 7 of their next 9 and then two road wins in the playoffs to reach the NFCCG, and that was with an established HC. 

Hell there have a number of seasons where the Pats started super slowly right out of the gate and went on to win or at least appear in the Super Bowl. 

Monday night everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, yes some of it was self-inflicted and a result of bad coaching, but you can’t expect that to become the norm. And if it does Hackett will be one-and-done as HC, Paton isn’t hamstrung by Ellis and team finances like the recent past, the WP group will have no problem paying another coach. 

I wasn't too surprised. A rookie HC, OC, DC, unproven rookie position coaches, new offense, new defense and a team that hadn't played one snap in preseason.

Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, champ11 said:

Hackett was terrible. The offense getting to the line so late and being so rushed was a huge issue. I feel like that was a major factor in both goal line runs getting blown up. They were individual mistakes but the defense got great jumps with the play clock winding.

That for me was the biggest issue - the question is the cause.

Was Hackett too slow in making a decision on what play to call?

Was Hackett trying to be everyone's friend and get consensus before he called the play?

Is the play call too long winded that it takes to long to communicate in the huddle?

Did they script any plays for the game?

Did Hackett give Wilson any freedom at the line of scrimmage or was the team just too late breaking from the huddle for Wilson to do anything when he got under centre?

And slightly off topic -

Who the hell didn't tell Hackett that wasting 30 seconds and then trying to kick a 64yd FG was a stupid idea?