Jets QB Zach Wilson won't play until week 4 "at the earliest"; Starting QB Joe Flacco

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is a terrible take. MB got rolled up on last year and then had an avulsion fracture to the same leg. How does any GM predict that?

Zach got injured on a low tackle last year and this year without contact - he didn't have any previous leg injuries pre-draft. Is JD supposed to predict that too?

As far as talent is concerned, Becton showed tons of promise his rookie year and looked like a future franchise LT. That's why JD picked him. The jury is still out on Zach.

JD is a boss but everyone and their mothers knew that Mt Mekhi was going to be a dice roll with his health.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Your problem there was, assuming this 23 yr old was a "stud"? Just saying.  🤷‍♂️

Hey, I'm just parroting the narrative. 

Wilson was a one year wonder in the COVID season while playing a Sun Belt schedule as far as I'm concerned. I hated him as a prospect. 

• Like 1

Too bad. This a the year you really hope to get a good viewing of what your young QB may become. 

That being said, his preseason game this year left a sour taste in my mouth. I love the kid's arm talent, but I think he lacks what it takes between the ears to be good. He made the same stupid mistakes that plagued him last year. It was only one preseason game, but I'd be lying if that didn't slightly concern me. 

Edited by WizeGuy

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

JD is a boss but everyone and their mothers knew that Mt Mekhi was going to be a dice roll with his health.

You would be right if his weight was the primary issue affecting his health but his original injury was not related to his size.

There were concerns that after being out of football for a year and coming back that he'd be massively overweight but that was overblown. He came to camp ready to go. Then this happens:

A few minutes later, on the second play of an 11-on-11 period, Becton fell backward after being jolted by defensive end John Franklin-Myers. Becton's right foot seemed to get caught in the grass, perhaps causing his knee to bend awkwardly.

And while his ACL was still good, he ends up with a chip in his kneecap that requires season ending surgery.

16 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Speculative.  

Starting week 1 was always extremely optimistic. The meniscus trim is a 2-4 week injury, the bone bruise is a 4-8 week injury.  The bone bruise isn't there yet, and the Jets aren't going to throw Wilson out there until he is 100%. From what it sounds like, they plan to start Wilson practicing in rehab before he starts. They aren't going to throw him right into the fire, especially when they are confident in the backup.  

Bone bruises can linger for a while. You never really know the timeline. Someone pointed out on a different site that a player on the Knicks has been sidelined for a while with a bone bruise. 

Joe Flacco should have just retired after his last season in Baltimore. Even though he was never a top guy, he was decent half the time, and got a Superb Owl. Now he's just been a corpse the last few seasons shuffling from team to team. But I get it with capitalizing on NFL money and what not. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Joe Flacco should have just retired after his last season in Baltimore. Even though he was never a top guy, he was decent half the time, and got a Superb Owl. Now he's just been a corpse the last few seasons shuffling from team to team. But I get it with capitalizing on NFL money and what not. 

Yeah I'm really not sure why he's still playing other than just loving the game? 

I got it with a guy like Alex Smith or even Ryan Fitzpatrick as they were clearly contending for starting gigs late into their careers. Flacco isn't. He's absolutely in backup stage these days. 

It sounds harsh, but I don't know I'd want him on my team anymore. The upside is gone and he probably serves more to stunt the growth of a potential long term backup. 

I think it's the Jeff Garcia effect- he's too seasoned and talented for a young guy to firmly beat outright, but he's past the point of being a real asset on the field anymore. 

I'd be hard pressed not to start Mike White over Wilson's absence. He either has long term backup potential or he manages to ball out again and maybe you can get something for him down the line. Flacco might be ok to hold the fort down and not be totally embarrassed, but he's not going to win you games or have the possiblity of increased value moving forward.

14 minutes ago, biggie. said:

The energy around the Jets and their QBs have been not good since the day Joe Namath was traded.

Seems that way in recent history at least with Sanchez and Darnold. Doesn’t help they ended up busts but I feel like stories/smoke like this happened with them prior to most people putting them in that category.

3 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

You would be right if his weight was the primary issue affecting his health but his original injury was not related to his size.

We have no idea if it was related to his size. Just because he was in shape relative to his usual physique, doesn’t mean his weight didn’t exacerbate his lower body injuries. We see this with big men all the time, across multiple sports. And even then, you don’t have to be fat to be injury prone. Some guys just are, regardless of size.

Like I said, one way or another, we all knew Becton was an injury risk. 

Player with high risk of injury has been injured. It takes some sort of mental gymnastics to dance around that.

41 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

We have no idea if it was related to his size. Just because he was in shape relative to his usual physique, doesn’t mean his weight didn’t exacerbate his lower body injuries. We see this with big men all the time, across multiple sports. And even then, you don’t have to be fat to be injury prone. Some guys just are, regardless of size.

Like I said, one way or another, we all knew Becton was an injury risk. 

Player with high risk of injury has been injured. It takes some sort of mental gymnastics to dance around that.

But are saying he was an injury risk coming into the NFL? He missed one game in three years while in college, so I don't see how that follows.

And I can definitely say that being rolled up on has nothing to do with size. That can happen to any lineman any time, no matter their size.