Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

I share the sentiments that we knew this would be a work in progress. We basically have a rookie coaching staff, a new (albeit top-10) QB learning a new offense and have had a rash of injuries. 

There are two worries - one, Hackett showed no growth game 1 to game 2 and now he faces a stacked roster led by an elite HC in what is, as much as can be in week 3, a must-win game. 

Two, we don’t know the mindset of W-P, will they be quick to push the panic button and make a rash move? I would hope not. But if the fans, who are already out of patience, turn on the team - and they already have looking at social media - they could lose the interest of the more casual fans, how does W-P react? 

Expectations we’re (rightly) set very high and I think most of the fanbase, especially the casual fans, expected a lot more right away. Yeah, those of us here, while wholly unenthused with the horrendous game management we’re more tempered. 

The other thing that also worries me, about the game itself, is do you not think Kyle is going to be a little extra motivated this week? Happy as he may be in San Fran, I’d wager he absolutely relishes the idea of embarrassing, on their home turf, the team spurned him in 2017 in favor of Vance freaking Joseph? 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Expectations we’re (rightly) set very high and I think most of the fanbase, especially the casual fans, expected a lot more right away. Yeah, those of us here, while wholly unenthused with the horrendous game management we’re more tempered. 

I don't think the expectations were ever realistic. When Hackett decided to clean house and fire almost all of the coaching staff mine dropped through the floor. As far as realistic, I'd be happy if we can hit .500, as long as we're showing continual progress.

Right now I'm looking forward to seeing what the defense does this weekend. With Evero, Capers and Kollar we seem to have transitioned smoothly on D and not lost much if anything. This is really their first test. Hope they do well.

The offense though, What can you say? The worst two offensive coaching games I've ever seen have been the last two weeks. They're just not ready to play. The penalties on that side of the ball are ridiculous. Maybe for the first preseason game but now? I'm usually a real patient fan but this is hard. Another week like the last two and I'd be thinking about ending the Hackett experiment. Really, how much time do you give a guy to put an NFL product on the field? 

We've got experienced folk on staff that could take over right now in Capers and Kubiak, (maybe by design?) if Howdy Doody can't right the ship.

Edited by AKRNA

59 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don't think the expectations were ever realistic. When Hackett decided to clean house and fire almost all of the coaching staff mine dropped through the floor. As far as realistic, I'd be happy if we can hit .500, as long as we're showing continual progress.

Right now I'm looking forward to seeing what the defense does this weekend. With Evero, Capers and Kollar we seem to have transitioned smoothly on D and not lost much if anything. This is really their first test. Hope they do well.

The offense though, What can you say? The worst two offensive coaching games I've ever seen have been the last two weeks. They're just not ready to play. The penalties on that side of the ball are ridiculous. Maybe for the first preseason game but now? I'm usually a real patient but this is hard. Another week like the last two and I'd be thinking about ending the Hackett experiment. Really, how much time do you give a guy to put an NFL product on the field? 

We've got experienced folk on staff that could take over right now in Capers and Kubiak, (maybe by design?) if Howdy Doody can't right the ship.

I have been frustrated as we all have about the coaching mistakes in the first two games but the talk of firing Hackett is ridiculously premature.

I still think Denver have a decent shot at the playoffs this year. Yard for yard we grade out as a very good team, we just need to clean up the unforced errors. 

I’ll admit the early reviews, mine included, on Hackett are pretty bad

BUT

With the surprising success the offense has had moving the ball, (I had no idea the yards per drive was actually that good) in spite of the dumb decisions and clock management, it won’t take much for Hackett to actually turn things around

Whether he can or not is another question

Better clock management, Jeudy or a second WR option stepping up and lean on the RBs in the red zone.  That should be enough to get Denver to a competent offense 

We really just need to simplify things. Condense the playbook to essential plays, master them, then build on them as the year goes on. I want to like Hackett, he's easy to root for, but I felt the same way about some of our previous QBs. Ultimately, if you don't have success, it doesn't matter your personality. He's saying the right things its just a matter of whether or not he's able to make actionable changes. Here's to hoping he does. 

Side note: As AKRNA mentions, the defense has some consultants with lots of experience in Capers and Kollar. I hated the hiring of Outten and wish we brought in some experience there instead. Loved Pep Hamilton and Ken Dorsey but maybe the lack of being able to call plays would have been a deal breaker for them. 

26 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

We really just need to simplify things. Condense the playbook to essential plays, master them, then build on them as the year goes on. I want to like Hackett, he's easy to root for, but I felt the same way about some of our previous QBs. Ultimately, if you don't have success, it doesn't matter your personality. He's saying the right things its just a matter of whether or not he's able to make actionable changes. Here's to hoping he does. 

Side note: As AKRNA mentions, the defense has some consultants with lots of experience in Capers and Kollar. I hated the hiring of Outten and wish we brought in some experience there instead. Loved Pep Hamilton and Ken Dorsey but maybe the lack of being able to call plays would have been a deal breaker for them. 

Agreed on simplifying things.   Anything to get the decisions & sending them in earlier.   If it gets the ball to our best guys all the better. 

As for help on O, the one option is Klint Kubiak.   And obv Gary likely to act as a “consultant” if called upon.   But that’s about it.  

Capers isn’t just a DC surplus though - HC as well.    I’d hope Hackett is privately leaving on some advice this past week.   He could use it.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I have been frustrated as we all have about the coaching mistakes in the first two games but the talk of firing Hackett is ridiculously premature.

I still think Denver have a decent shot at the playoffs this year. Yard for yard we grade out as a very good team, we just need to clean up the unforced errors. 

So, you know I'm forever the optimist and pretty patient. That said, in almost 60 years as a fan I've never seen as disastrous a debut for a HC as Hacketts had. I'd think he's seriously in danger of losing the team. Having your HC display absolute incompetence at an NFL level is hardly inspiring. IMO this is pretty much unprecedented at this level so nothing in my data banks has a reference point. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, you know I'm forever the optimist and pretty patient. That said, in almost 60 years as a fan I've never seen as disastrous a debut for a HC as Hacketts had. I'd think he's seriously in danger of losing the team. Having your HC display absolute incompetence at an NFL level is hardly inspiring. IMO this is pretty much unprecedented at this level so nothing in my data banks has a reference point. 

Very much agree with this. People here talking about growing pains…what we’ve seen so far are not standard growing pains. The words “disastrous” and “unprecedented” might seem hyperbolic, but truly, we have never seen a head coach start a tenure with this level of ineptitude before. It has been, quite literally, an unprecedented disaster. All of the established, quality HC’s around the league, not one of them has ever had a two game stretch like this, I can all but guarantee that. Hell, not even any of the poor coaches I’ve seen have had a two game stretch like this.

This is not normal. These are not ordinary growing pains that we can assume he’ll grow and learn from. We can’t know that, because again, we’ve never seen a coach this clueless before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Very much agree with this. People here talking about growing pains…what we’ve seen so far are not standard growing pains. The words “disastrous” and “unprecedented” might seem hyperbolic, but truly, we have never seen a head coach start a tenure with this level of ineptitude before. It has been, quite literally, an unprecedented disaster. All of the established, quality HC’s around the league, not one of them has ever had a two game stretch like this, I can all but guarantee that. Hell, not even any of the poor coaches I’ve seen have had a two game stretch like this.

This is not normal. These are not ordinary growing pains that we can assume he’ll grow and learn from. We can’t know that, because again, we’ve never seen a coach this clueless before.

The in-game, or gameday, management is as bad as I’ve seen. And I’ve even covered 2A and 3A high school football. 

That said, the scheme has shown some good things. The buy-in appears to be there. I haven’t heard about a locker room revolt (which was happening in 2009 before Mac coached his first game). So there’s that. 

Now, I’m not saying any of that to defend Hackett as we all have said this has been horrendous. He said yesterday they are streamlining things. Let’s see if it looks better. Because on Sunday night we’re playing what is, by far, the best team lead by, by far, the best coaching staff, we have faced this season. 

I like Hackett, as a guy, and I think he can be a good coach, but if there isn’t marked improvement in the areas we’ve all outlined in the game week, even if we lose (and we will, let’s not split hairs the Niners will work us up and down the field), then it might be time to cut bait.