Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

I think the red zone issues are real, but they also had 2 almost touchdowns called off by an inch or so foot on the line. It’s not surprising the offense isn’t firing on all cylinders and the red zone is where execution matters the most. Will not be surprising if they get to being a very good offense. Hopefully Jeudy will stay healthy. 

As for Hackett’s general incompetence. Huge concern and structurally this organization bit off a bit more than it can chew with the attempt at running the offense through multiple people that are in their positions for the first time. Actually pretty concerning that Hackett looks like this with all his NFL experience, like AK said. Never seen anything like this from a football team - it needs to get cleaned up or this dude will be an all time laughingstock in NFL circles 

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

It doesn’t suck, though. We lead the NFL in yards per drive. Our PPG is poor because of one reason, and that’s all time bad red zone efficiency.

We’ve had drives reach the 2, 6, 12, 1 and 1 yard line. A normal NFL team might score four touchdowns and one field goal from those five drives for 31 points. We have scored no touchdowns and three field goals for 9 points.

This is extremely frustrating and this post is not intended to minimise the issues Hackett faces, but it’s much easier to iron out little creases like this during the week than it would be to revamp an offense that’s struggling to move the ball at all. 

There’s an element of luck involved as well. Fumble recoveries are particularly fluky, and both of our RBs fumbling at the goal line could easily have bounced into the arms of one of our players, but no, we lost the ball both times. On the other side, the defense has forced five fumbles and only recovered one of them. Russell also had a fluky pick against the Texans which was stripped out of Sutton’s arms.

The QB play looks night-and-day better than the endless stream of competition winners posing as NFL QBs we’ve had since 2016, the defense is playing incredibly stingy football (although we do need more turnovers), there’s just a few bits missing but I do very strongly believe that making those small tweaks during the week is much more feasible than trying to reinvent the wheel. 

The above in bold will almost certainly normalize.   We aren’t going to fumble at the 1 2x and get no points many more (hopefully no more this year lol but certainly not 1x per game).  

And if we force fumbles 5x in 2 games (and those are targeted plays where the defender is actively going for the ball, not just a big hit that jars the ball loose) - we’re going to have a lot more than 1 recovery to show for it.   The ball-hawking plays are even more noteworthy - because the defenders are looking to strip the ball.    Elite defenses and defenders look to do this.   We’re not elite yet (can’t say that after 2 games vs bad talent) but the forced TO and the mechanics behind them (deliberate targeting) are a great sign.   Evero gets nothing but praise so far outside of the Seattle wacky 1H with EDGE’s out in coverage.  

The O moves the ball.   Williams / Jeudy / Sutton have looked great.   Wilson’s success has come inside the pocket and not street ball.   The D outside of ILB has been what we were hoping for.    Maybe all of that changes going forward.   But it’s a LOT easier to fix problems on teams who have better talent.  It’s just so frustrating as well to watch - but long-term (next 3-4 seasons) we’re in a great place with a talented team provided the key guys stay healthy.   It’s all about the HC right now.   

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

6th in time of possession, 7th in yards per game, 7th in yards per play ...

... 31st in redzone %.

This Offense doesn't suck, I'm sorry. It isn't some stagnant, eye bleed Offense where we are Punting every possession. They are just horrific in the redzone. 

If they can find a way to be league average in the redzone, the narrative will change very quickly.

Correct. The *scoring output* sucks, but the offense is actually fairly efficient everywhere but inside the 1-yard line. Two of those TDs have been called back because of a toe on the line, Saubert dropped a beautiful pass Week 1, but Hackett needs to be more decisive. It's as simple as that. If he can't figure out a way to be decisive, the same issues will plague us. I'm not thrilled with Hackett's game management thus far, but it's too early to tell on the rest. If it doesn't turn around quickly, he's going to get laughed out of town quicker than not.

• Like 1

Anyway, the Niners are a decent team, but there's no reason they should be road favorites against this team, even with the scoring issues. If our defense can hold up ever so slightly better against their running game, I think we absolutely have a chance. Lance not playing may help us if we force Jimmy G to throw the ball. We'll see. Kittle may have a huge game if he plays. 

I think primetime is a get right spot, or at least I hope it is, but the Niners do play a stingy brand of defense. We don't know what the injury status is for some of our guys yet. I'll guess we're looking at a 21-17 Broncos win as of now.

One of the comments I heard over the last few days is that Hackett might be a great coordinator but a crap HC - and the example given was like Wade Phillips. Wade was a great coordinator - but the reality is that Hackett does not have anything approaching that resumé as an OC. One of the worrying things I heard this week was that his relationship with Rodgers was not based on football but around having a laugh and playing darts.

Hackett is displaying traits that are ingrained and hard to correct. He appears to be completely indecisive - he appears to have been spooked by the fumbles on the goalline in Seattle and is now calling a pass play every time in the red zone. He got spooked by the missed FG in Seattle and then elects not to kick from 59yds in Mile High. He seems overwhelmed with every situation, cannot process information fast enough and cannot make decisions in time to avoid penalties. That may be because he is getting too much information or he is attempting to decide on plays based on consensus after consulting his game management guy, Outen and Wilson. But whatever the reason - there is a massive problem that has to be fixed. The scheme looks good - but if you are not decisive then the scheme doesn't matter. He just looks like he is completely in over his head.

If it is possible to fix the problems - then Hackett and co. should be able to do that in 2-3 weeks - and I think if we get to the bye-week with the same problems then I don't think he will ever be able to fix them. And after the Waltons spending $4.5billion+ for the team and paying Wilson a stack of money - they won't want to waste a season with a head coach who can't hack it (no pun intended) and waste a season of Wilson before he gets too old.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Bud, we already are! Our defense hasn't seemed to miss a beat but Hacketts baby, our offense with one of the best skill position groups in the NFL and enhanced at the QB position greatly sucks.

Perhaps, but we don't need a Raider fan to troll over here, it seems we have you for that 

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

One of the comments I heard over the last few days is that Hackett might be a great coordinator but a crap HC - and the example given was like Wade Phillips. Wade was a great coordinator - but the reality is that Hackett does not have anything approaching that resumé as an OC. One of the worrying things I heard this week was that his relationship with Rodgers was not based on football but around having a laugh and playing darts.

Hackett is displaying traits that are ingrained and hard to correct. He appears to be completely indecisive - he appears to have been spooked by the fumbles on the goalline in Seattle and is now calling a pass play every time in the red zone. He got spooked by the missed FG in Seattle and then elects not to kick from 59yds in Mile High. He seems overwhelmed with every situation, cannot process information fast enough and cannot make decisions in time to avoid penalties. That may be because he is getting too much information or he is attempting to decide on plays based on consensus after consulting his game management guy, Outen and Wilson. But whatever the reason - there is a massive problem that has to be fixed. The scheme looks good - but if you are not decisive then the scheme doesn't matter. He just looks like he is completely in over his head.

If it is possible to fix the problems - then Hackett and co. should be able to do that in 2-3 weeks - and I think if we get to the bye-week with the same problems then I don't think he will ever be able to fix them. And after the Waltons spending $4.5billion+ for the team and paying Wilson a stack of money - they won't want to waste a season with a head coach who can't hack it (no pun intended) and waste a season of Wilson before he gets too old.

Good article on the subject: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/9/21/23364205/denver-broncos-nathaniel-hackett-offense-woes

10 hours ago, 1234567 said:

What's really frustrating is that we've upgraded this team significantly from a talent standpoint. Paton has been lights out in the draft as well as free agency. We're weak at the ILB slot.. But we're very solid everywhere else. Even if Russell Wilson is in decline (which he seems to be), he's still lightyears above any other QB we've had in the last 7 seasons. I can't help but wonder what this team would look like right now under a competent coach.  

Russ seems to be afraid to run and risk getting hit. I know he wants to play a long time - and that's great since we're committed for $296 million - but part of his appeal is his ability to make plays with his legs when called for. I'd like to see more of that. He doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson but he can rush for more than 3 yards a game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Russ seems to be afraid to run and risk getting hit. I know he wants to play a long time - and that's great since we're committed for $296 million - but part of his appeal is his ability to make plays with his legs when called for. I'd like to see more of that. He doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson but he can rush for more than 3 yards a game. 

I don't really mind if he doesn't take off as the primary ball carrier. I do think, as AK mentioned in another thread, that we should use his mobility more in bootlegs, rollouts, etc, where we aren't always doing that today. The offense is moving the ball - they just aren't scoring. More emphasis on better red zone playcalling is the answer, IMO. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The offense is moving the ball - they just aren't scoring. More emphasis on better red zone playcalling is the answer, IMO. 

If we stop moving the ball, then by all means, tweak the system.  But Russ & co. are moving with him staying in the pocket.    That's a far more reproducible means of success.    

It's kinda ironic that critics pointed to Russell being more a playground improvisor - but right now, he's being successful extending plays, but remaining within the pocket.   Again, our ability to move the ball is very clear when we're not going with trick/get-cute plays, and as mentioned ad nauseum, the truly absymal RZ play-calling.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Good post, but I disagree with the bolded 100%. I’ve spent the last 5 years teaching emergency medicine interns (and 10 years before that from 04-14 teaching combat medics) where they have less than 60 seconds to process limited information and make a life or death decision, and I’ve seen hundreds of people progress from being frozen with indecision to being calm and leading in live fire. These are learned skills, not innate/ingrained traits.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is a good piece, but you have to contextualise it. The Broncos have made two seasons worth of mental errors in two games. We lost one of those games by a point and we won the other. If an average NFL team suffered the amount of mental errors we have in the last two games, they get blown out both weeks.

It’s very clear to anyone with the mental capacity to look at the bigger picture that the Broncos are a good football team who are being let down by boneheaded mistakes. If you ask 100 smart football minds what is easier to correct during a week:

1) Silly errors 

2) A fundamental issue moving the ball

#1 wins every time.

If the errors keep up then the Broncos will go like 7-10 and miss the playoffs, but if it all comes together then we’ve got ourselves a good football team here. Most of us have little doubt that Hackett will learn from his mistakes.