Scouting the NFL 2023 Draft Prospects

KingTitan

I am trying to remember where I saw this written but the visits the Titans have taken so far, not many are considered top 10. If visits have any true meaning and not just a lot of smoke screens, signs seem to point to the Titans trading back.

I don't believe the Titans will trade up for a QB as I think we need a serious infusion of young talent and giving up a ton of picks may not make the most sense. Now if you trade for a QB and they are a hit than what you gave up doesn't matter.

I don't believe for a second that QBs won't be taken at 1 and 2. Why would Houston pass on a QB at 2? I would be shocked.

So that will likely leave Richardson and Levis to trade up for as the Colts will take one of them. So that's 3 QBs in the top 4 picks.

I am fine with the Titans trading up for a QB if they truly believe in one that falls. However, personally I hope the Titans either stay at 11 and pick Skoronski (yes even over Paris or Broderick as Skoronski has such a high floor with all pro potential. We need to hit on this first round pick we can't botch another one.

Or hope the Titans can trade down and get either a WR, TE or O lineman in the first and pick up some more picks.

I don't buy the hype of the Titans trading up. I think it's all smoke and mirrors. This draft for the Titans is so exciting as they can go so many ways.

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s an interesting QB class.

CJ Stroud - 

Safest QB prospect, should be at least a middle-of-pack starter at worst in the 15-17 range. His ceiling is also good but not as high as the other three imo. His ceiling is that 8-10 range under a good coach. Like I don’t see Stroud ever being in that Elite Tier of QB’s. He just doesn’t have that skillset. Doesn’t have a laser arm. He’s not this insanely smart QB like Young (not dumb either though). If you look at 2 years of tape and not the Georgia game, he’s really bad under pressure and a below average play extender. The Georgia game gives you hope though. But Stroud has all the things you need for a good quality starter. He has a very solid arm, he’s extremely accurate, his mechanics and footwork are superb, and he has good size at 6’3”. But Stroud is also a guy that’s always gonna need a great OL and great weapons unlike Richardson/Young who have plenty of off-script superstar type ability. 

My comparison: A premium version of Jared Goff, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott. He has a lot of those guys pros and weaknesses. 

Bryce Young - 

The size is the biggest issue here. Can he stay durable? And can he see the middle of the field consistently? Something we know Wilson/Murray have always struggled with. Brees never struggled with it but Brees is 6’ while Wilson is 5’11 and Murray is 5’10. Bryce Young will never bust completely, he’s too good. But there is a possibility his floor is an average to slightly below average QB if he can’t stay healthy and also can’t overcome his size limitations like reading the middle of the field. But Bryce’s ceiling? I think Bryce’s ceiling is Elite Tier a hair behind names like Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow. Young’s play extension ability is amazing… it’s like Curry’s 3 point ability. Bryce can make something out of nothing every play. He’s also amazing in the redzone, has a good (not great) arm, solid pocket awareness, and extremely high football IQ. Bryce might turn into one of the best players in the league, and maybe the funnest player in the league. I’m excited to see what he does. 

Comparison: Very unique guy. I don’t have a comp but If I had to say one, I’d probably say he’s a little bit of Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers combo. Moreso Wilson. But really Bryce is unique and I don’t think we’ve seen someone like him before. 

Anthony Richardson -

I mean, if you build a QB in a lab he’s the dude. 6’4 1/2, 240, 4.4 speed, LASER frickin arm. Cam Size, Lamar Speed, Herbert Arm. Richardson day one arm strength is on par with Mahomes and Herbert and only behind Allen, who has a generational arm. Richardson also isn’t as raw as Levis. Richardson does make solid progressions sometimes. He is also is very POISE in the pocket and doesn’t panic. He also is a very intelligent QB and scored highest except for Bryce on the cognitive tests and in the 90th percent tile all time. Richardson can throw dimes deep as well, absolute beautiful dimes. He really needs to work on redzone accuracy and 15 yard accuracy, both of which are pretty bad. Richardson’s ceiling is the highest of the class by far. His ceiling is Mahomes, Allen, Burrow Top 4-5 QB in the league level. Although his floor is complete bust. I like Richardson a lot. I think there’s a 30-35% chance he can become the next Elite QB. 30% chance on the next great? Sign me up. And a solid 45% chance he can become at least a Top 10 QB. 

Comparison: You cook Lamar and Cam together and throw some Josh Allen seasoning at the end. 

Will Levis -

I don’t think Will Levis should be a 1st Round Pick. He has a great arm (although was throwing tons of ducks at his pro day), good (not great) mobility, and great size. Good prototypical QB to try to develop. But boy oh boy he’s a mess. Unlike Richardson, the flashes are almost non-existent. He panics in the pocket. When he has to go to a second read, he panics a vast majority of the time. He’s extremely uncomfortable going through progressions. He’s extremely uncomfortable with pressure. He is extremely inaccurate, especially deep balls. A lot of times just seems lost mentally. His mechanics are bad. This dude is a mess and I’m not sure how anyone can think him and Richardson are on the same level as Project QB’s. I do not think Levis has the mental makeup to succeed in the league. 

Comparison: Kyle Boller. Laser arm. Great athlete at the QB position. Good size. That’s it. The mental stuff is a disaster. And it has nothing to do with “knowledge”. 

I like the Top 3 QB’s a lot. I would rank them:

Bryce Young 1a

Anthony Richardson 1b

CJ Stroud 1c 

They are all neck and neck for me personally. I would love for the Raiders to nab one of them. 

Most would have Stroud above Richardson, but you need an Elite QB in this league to win championships most of the time. The ingredient list for that championship (a vast majority of the time) is Top 5-6 Elite Superstar QB and a Top 10-12 defense. The days of needing a #1 defense to win a ring do not hold true these days. Defense is still more important than offense in the playoffs, but you need that superstar QB as well. 

This post in the QB thread over in the draft section is pretty much a carbon copy of my feelings on the QBs.

• Like 3

As much as I do love Richardson though, he needs a full year on the bench. He would look bad as a rookie. Worse than Fields and Hurts. He wouldn’t be Malik Willis/Zach Wilson level bad as a rookie, I think he would show flashes, but mostly bad. 

I do think you start him as soon as you’re eliminated though, get him some reps. Which could be anywhere from the final 1-5 games of the season. At that point he should have some level of confidence. He might look pretty bad still, but I wouldn’t overthink it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As much as I do love Richardson though, he needs a full year on the bench. He would look bad as a rookie. Worse than Fields and Hurts. He wouldn’t be Malik Willis/Zach Wilson level bad as a rookie, I think he would show flashes, but mostly bad. 

I do think you start him as soon as you’re eliminated though, get him some reps. Which could be anywhere from the final 1-5 games of the season. At that point he should have some level of confidence. He might look pretty bad still, but I wouldn’t overthink it. 

That’s the internal debate I’ve had with Richardson. With so little starting experience, would he be better off starting early to get those “live bullets” and experience or sitting on the sidelines developing.

I guess do you go the rookie season Josh Allen route or the rookie season Mahomes route?

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

That’s the internal debate I’ve had with Richardson. With so little starting experience, would he be better off starting early to get those “live bullets” and experience or sitting on the sidelines developing.

I guess do you go the rookie season Josh Allen route or the rookie season Mahomes route?

All depends if you think Rich can handle it. Allen was horrendous, and I mean horrendous as a rookie. But he toughed out the media, fan, player criticisms. Can Richardson handle it? And will bad decisions as a rookie destroy his confidence? I have no idea. I think he would survive it, but I'd rather sit him. I think he would develop the same either way, and without the risks like losing confidence if he sits. 

Meh.  Never know whether to believe these or not.  As many Ohio State connections as Vrabel has, I think that's one school where we can safely assume the Titans aren't gonna get a secret head case.  Day is Vrabel's BFF and wouldn't let him surrender a lot of resources to take a QB that's a big character concern.