When should Pittsburgh switch to Kenny Pickett?

biggie.

When should Pittsburgh switch to Kenny Pickett?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Now, after the bye or redshirted?

• Now
    • After the bye
    • Keep him redshirted

Pittsburgh is now 1-2 and Trubisky has been as bad as we have predicted. With all this, when should Pitt switch to their rookie?

The stretch before the bye is BRUTAL. After the Jets, they have @ Buffalo, Tampa, @ MIami, @ Philly. After that gauntlet it's NOLA, Cincy, @ Indy, @ Atlanta, Baltimore, round two with Cleveland, @ Carolina and LV.

A couple weeks ago.

I get trying to protect him from a suspect line but after his preseason not many coaches in this situation could have resisted throwing him out there to see if he could do what they know Mitch and Mason can't do.

If this were a coach on the on the hot seat I think Kenny would be in there. This is a rare time that having a team that isn't fickle with coaching changes hurts giving the fans what they want.

• Like 1

When Pickett seems ready. You never ran with Mitchell Trubisky because you thought he'd lead a successful team and a productive offense. He was always just an uncontroversial placeholder. They aren't (or at least really shouldn't be) surprised by any of what has happened so far with Trubisky, so there's no reason this should change their plans. Pickett's development is far more important to the team than not having a QB who sucks. So you go to Pickett when it is productive for his development to do so.

• Like 6

Whenever you as a FO think he’s ready to be the starter. If he’s obviously not there mentally in the film room/during practice or physically, then you let him redshirt the year if need be. He wasn’t brought in to be the 2022 fix. And neither was Mitch, maybe a dart-throw at best.

If Pickett looks any sort of competent, I say you do it sooner than later. You can always go back if he flames out. But right now you’re not playing well enough to win games offensively, so before the season becomes a complete wash you might as well see what the rookie’s got. Again, only if you have some sort of confidence that he’s ready to take the field.

Now.

Mitch isn't the only problem with Pittsburgh, but he sure isn't helping them whatsoever, either. Might as well see what they have in Pickett. The OL has been better than expected so that can't really be used as an excuse at this point to not play Pickett.

Pickett should of been the starter Week 1. Massively outperformed Mitch in pre season and was a wash in training camp. He’s a 24 year old Pro Ready rookie. I mean, that doesn’t mean we think he’s gonna be good, but he’s pro ready. Made no sense to name Mitch the starter. 

• Like 1

I’m a firm believer that you get good by doing things. I don’t buy the watch and learn approach at all. And if you’re so mentally fragile that struggling early in your career is going to permanently destroy you, you were never going to make it anyway. 

Only reason not to play him IMO is if he’s so bad that he has no business on an NFL field yet.

• Like 1