Former Cowboys tight end Gavin Escobar passes away

Forge

Even with all the player movement, man, it’s been tough to really feel passionate about the NFL this year between all the deaths and crimes. Not that it would be fine had it been something more natural, but rock climbing? That’s tough. Telling a 31 year old to Rest In Peace almost feels wrong, had so much more living to do. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Even with all the player movement, man, it’s been tough to really feel passionate about the NFL this year between all the deaths and crimes. Not that it would be fine had it been something more natural, but rock climbing? That’s tough. Telling a 31 year old to Rest In Peace almost feels wrong, had so much more living to do. 

To be honest I don't really feel that way about this. It's very sad for him to die at 31, but isn't related to the NFL in any way as opposed to if it were something like we saw with Junior Seau or Chris Henry. 

Still tragic of course, but personally it doesn't impact on how passionate I can feel about the sport. 

4 hours ago, Billy86 said:

To be honest I don't really feel that way about this. It's very sad for him to die at 31, but isn't related to the NFL in any way as opposed to if it were something like we saw with Junior Seau or Chris Henry. 

Still tragic of course, but personally it doesn't impact on how passionate I can feel about the sport. 

Shrug. Everyone’s different. Demaryius Thomas died of medical complications. Dwayne Haskins got hit by a car. Escobar got hurt while rock climbing. No, they’re not CTE or otherwise football related, but they’re still clouds that loom large, for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Left behind a wife and 2 young children. He and a 33 year old female both died in an apparent rock climbing accident. Absolutely awful. I wonder what happened and really hope they weren’t free climbing.

He had just joined the Long Beach Fire Department too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. Everyone’s different. Demaryius Thomas died of medical complications. Dwayne Haskins got hit by a car. Escobar got hurt while rock climbing. No, they’re not CTE or otherwise football related, but they’re still clouds that loom large, for me. 

Interesting take with the first post/point. I haven't watched a single M or Th game this season. For the past couple years it's one thing or another where I am losing interest. I thought it was because I'm a Raider fan and it started with the trading of Mack. It is possible that the 'business decisions' and what's allowed or not depending on the 'value' you bring to the fantasy aspect of the sport has eroded my love for the game subconsciously. I use to not apply for jobs that worked Sundays because that was my day to lay on the couch eating pizza and enjoying whatever beverages at that time. Now I barely eat pizza and drink beer even less. At 51 it's enjoyable being able to not feel the strong need to watch every game and to desire to do other things. I'm healthy, exercise daily and always have but SOMETHING has changed and maybe it's just an accumulation of things I see as BS that I just won't tolerate after the past few years. You're right, everyone is different and thank you for sharing your perspective because I'd be the LAST PERSON to think moral grounds would affect my conscious judgement (I'm a REBEL by nature) but it very well may be. 

Edited by G
  • Like 2