Steelers moving forward with Pickett as starting QB

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I feel as if this is going to be a disaster

He did not look ready or comfortable. And now he's playing the best defense in the NFL with the best pass rush in the NFL with a TERRIBLE OL. Might be real brutal, or he might surprise everybody and pull a Josh Allen 2018 against the Vikings with basically no film on him and come out swinging early and try and get enough points to put it away quickly before the other team adjusts.

But from what he showed yesterday it was rough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He did not look ready or comfortable. And now he's playing the best defense in the NFL with the best pass rush in the NFL with a TERRIBLE OL. Might be real brutal, or he might surprise everybody and pull a Josh Allen 2018 against the Vikings with basically no film on him and come out swinging early and try and get enough points to put it away quickly before the other team adjusts.

He didn't look nearly as bad as youre making it out to be.   He had one notably bad play on the INT intended for Friermuth.      He was trying to do too much and had zero reps with the first team.

Pickett may very well be a bust, and he is getting thrown into the fire now....but he didnt look near as bad in his debut as the numbers suggest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

He didn't look nearly as bad as youre making it out to be.   He had one notably bad play on the INT intended for Friermuth.      He was trying to do too much and had zero reps with the first team.

Pickett may very well be a bust, and he is getting thrown into the fire now....but he didnt look near as bad in his debut as the numbers suggest.

Kenny Pickett has yet to throw an NFL pass that isn't caught. 

• Like 1

Probably not a great idea, tbh. 

The playoffs just aren't happening this year, and 3 of his first 4 starts will come against the Bills, Bucs, and Eagles' defenses. 

Not that it gets easier following the bye with New Orleans, Cincy, and Indianapolis on deck, but at least he could've had the bye to prep and spend the next few weeks in the meantime playing the end of games once the game is out of reach. 

The next 7 weeks, especially 6 of them as I'm not quite sold on Miami's D yet, are just brutal looking for a trial by fire. Good luck to the kid, but I could see him mentally broken by December. 

Edited by ronjon1990

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So they announce that they're sitting him a year, then that doesn't even last 4 weeks? lol

What losing to the Jets does to a mf

Did they announce that or was it reported via sources?

Bad timing. Should have made this call before week 4. Oh well. I hope he succeeds.

Edited by seminoles1

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So they announce that they're sitting him a year, then that doesn't even last 4 weeks? lol

What losing to the Jets does to a mf

Tomlin said he'd LIKE to sit him the entire year, but I think he expected Trubisky to offer a little bit more.

And it was certainly more than just the Jets game.    Trubisky is a one read QB who is afraid to push the ball downfield.      He was actually probably WORSE than Ben was last year.     A change NEEDED to be made.

Was this the right time?    Thats certainly debatable, but they surely couldn't stick with Mitch.   It was either Pickett or Rudolph, and Pickett is the only guy with upside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Buffalo has consistently feasted on rookie QBs since McD has arrived. I'd be very surprised if Pickett even has an average game, and I think most fans should have low expectations early on given the teams he's playing the first 4 games. I would like to see him succeed, though. I've always liked the Steelers. 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Tomlin said he'd LIKE to sit him the entire year, but I think he expected Trubisky to offer a little bit more.

And it was certainly more than just the Jets game.    Trubisky is a one read QB who is afraid to push the ball downfield.      He was actually probably WORSE than Ben was last year.     A change NEEDED to be made.

Was this the right time?    Thats certainly debatable, but they surely couldn't stick with Mitch.   It was either Pickett or Rudolph, and Pickett is the only guy with upside.

Yeah I understand, my comment was more sarcasm than anything. I think rolling with Pickett is probably the right move but also especially with TJ Watt out for some time I don't know how truly competitive the Steelers will be so it all comes down to whether playing him this year would benefit his development or not.