Week 5 GDT: Raiders @ Chiefs - Just two Baby?

big_palooka

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The playoffs are already likely done. 0-3 is a 2% chance. 1-4 is a 1% chance. Percentages are not hyperbole. A poker player or mathematician would call you the crazy one here not realizing reality. This really is a must win football game. 

Raider chances of making the playoffs last year on any given week was always 5% or above. 

All the percentages are based on a 16 game schedule and 2 wildcard spots. 

If the Raiders lose, they are no more than 2 games back in the AFC to most teams. Along with the division, they play the Jags, Jets, Colts and Patriots who all look to factor into the playoffs. This is very much not a must win.

18 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Last year was a little different.  Everything that was out of our control fell our way for us to make it into the playoffs.  We are already in a situation where we are going to need things out of our control to go our way.

With a lost the Raiders would be 2 games behind: Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Ravens and Titans

All these teams have problems and will drop games. Not much would need to go there way. They just need to win games. 

18 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Might take us somewhere in the middle. On the one hand and in theory there's still plenty of time. On the other hand losing would show that once again we haven't really been able to fix any problems that we have had thus far so it would be hard to project future success.

This argument I can get behind. A win could be big to show they can compete against the divisions top team and be big going forward. A close loss, I'm not worried about them going forward. Signals they are a good team. 

A bad loss like the 2 last season would likely not end well for their psyches. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

All the percentages are based on a 16 game schedule and 2 wildcard spots. 

If the Raiders lose, they are no more than 2 games back in the AFC to most teams. Along with the division, they play the Jags, Jets, Colts and Patriots who all look to factor into the playoffs. This is very much not a must win.

With a lost the Raiders would be 2 games behind: Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Ravens and Titans

All these teams have problems and will drop games. Not much would need to go there way. They just need to win games. 

This argument I can get behind. A win could be big to show they can compete against the divisions top team and be big going forward. A close loss, I'm not worried about them going forward. Signals they are a good team. 

A bad loss like the 2 last season would likely not end well for their psyches. 

It's this simple. If we play great in KC and lose a battle, no reason to think we can't get on a hot streak.

• Like 3

I don’t think the passing offense is there from what we seen so far through 4 games. So Jacobs must carry the load again if they want to have a chance at winning. 30 rushing attempts by Jacobs is what I would figure he would need. 

Also double team Kelce if Tiktok Juju or MVS beat you then deal with it. Can’t let Kelce have an inch of space without two defenders on him. 

55 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's this simple. If we play great in KC and lose a battle, no reason to think we can't get on a hot streak.

Exactly. Playoffs are not made in Sept./Oct. They are made Nov/Dec. Patriots had a lot of slow starts over the years. Losing close games while they ironed things out. 

Would 1-4 be ideal, no. But I'd rather be hot in the playoff run that fizzle late in the season after a hot start. 

Regardless, handle business tonight and lets go on a run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I don’t think the passing offense is there from what we seen so far through 4 games. So Jacobs must carry the load again if they want to have a chance at winning. 30 rushing attempts by Jacobs is what I would figure he would need. 

Also double team Kelce if Tiktok Juju or MVS beat you then deal with it. Can’t let Kelce have an inch of space without two defenders on him. 

Zeus is going to factor in tonight in a big way.  

Hard to see McDaniels rely on White on a road game when he’s not gotten any work the prior games. 

A lot of people thought this would a time share at RB but they have shown their cards and have made this really a one man rotation as far as rushing the ball. 

First qtr will tell us how this game is gonna go. If they can keep it close in the first 15 minutes then we probably will have a game on our hands. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Playoffs are not made in Sept./Oct. They are made Nov/Dec. Patriots had a lot of slow starts over the years. Losing close games while they ironed things out. 

Would 1-4 be ideal, no. But I'd rather be hot in the playoff run that fizzle late in the season after a hot start. 

Regardless, handle business tonight and lets go on a run. 

Ideally going 1-4 is not completely out of the playoff picture with the extra game and extra team in . However, with a loss we are still in 4th place in AFC West and still need a huge run to even get a wild card spot.

This is a must win tonight. Final 12 games we would have to go 8-4 to even get to 9-8. Which maybe not enough 

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Ideally going 1-4 is not completely out of the playoff picture with the extra game and extra team in . However, with a loss we are still in 4th place in AFC West and still need a huge run to even get a wild card spot.

This is a must win tonight. Final 12 games we would have to go 8-4 to even get to 9-8. Which maybe not enough 

This. More losses and that hill to the playoffs gets dam near impossible. Putting ourselves in a position like last year trying to win out just to have a chance. Last year we won so many close games this year the exact opposite. Can’t keep procrastinating gotta win now

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. More losses and that hill to the playoffs gets dam near impossible. Putting ourselves in a position like last year trying to win out just to have a chance. Last year we won so many close games this year the exact opposite. Can’t keep procrastinating gotta win now

Last year was an Anomaly year due to health and safety protocols. We were one of the least affected teams. Those 50-50 games we won last year have already flipped against us

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ironic that the anti-Carr / McDaniels crowd think this is a must win. 

The only reason they must win is so the rest of us don't have to listen to the insufferable narratives for 2 weeks during the bye week. 

Every kc game is a must win and it’s always been no matter if we suck or are contending, no matter who is qb or coach….

At the end of the day it’s raiders vs kc on Monday freakin night. we’re the kings of mnf . If your attitude is “meh we don’t have to win this game” then I’m speechless.

I hate kc more than any afc west team and always have since the 80’s. Yes this is a must win. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Every kc game is a must win and it’s always been no matter if we suck or are contending, no matter who is qb or coach….

At the end of the day it’s raiders vs kc on Monday freakin night. we’re the kings of mnf . If your attitude is “meh we don’t have to win this game” then I’m speechless.

I hate kc more than any afc west team and always have since the 80’s. Yes this is a must win. 

Probably comes down to definition of must-win.  Must-win for me is you have to have it or your done.  It's too early in the season for that, even though each loss gets us closer to that.

I agree with everything you said, which makes this a "really important and very nice game to win" for me.  

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is a totally different argument than the one we are having. 

• Like 1