Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

NFL is random.

Barry's defense is not.  It is what it has always been.

Anyone who feels like this club can win multiple games in the playoffs with this scheme is flat out fooling themselves.

While it is nice that our defense made enough big plays to win the game, it is also nice that our offense scored touchdowns on long drives to help them out.

But if we want this team to go to the next level, it isn't with Barry or any DC who believes in this kind of defense.

He called a damn good game in playoffs vs 49ers couple of years back. 

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

FYI the Bengals stopped that play. 

Also is this the same Bengals defence that got them to the Super Bowl in 2021 with Lou Anarumo as their DC?

Makes it even worse if they stopped it.  Packers haven't stopped it all year so I guess just keep trying.  Insanity is just keep doing something with the same bad result.

Why Joe Barry's D has helped spark Packers' turnaround

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Joe Barry haters out there -- and if you follow the Green Bay Packers, you know there are plenty of them -- aren't going to like this.

The defensive coordinator who so many wanted gone after last season, and even early in this one, is now the defensive coordinator of a top-10 unit in the NFL. By holding quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs under 20 points in Sunday's 27-19 upset at Lambeau Field, the Packers moved into ninth in the NFL in points allowed at 20.3 per game.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Everybody here is saying it's not about points per game, it's about style points. Honestly, with the rest of our schedule, it will be interesting if they can actually dominate the teams they are supposed to. There isn't a decent offensive unit among our last five game. 

Love to see Barry turn it up another notch and just dominate all of them. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Old Guy said:

IMO, I've seen some positives the past few weeks. Your point seems to be let's keep the devil we know. Basically, we could do worse to let's not try and do better. That is no way to get an organization to the top, by settling for mediocrity. 

For me, the jury is out on Barry, which is a far cry from where I was when I started this thread. If we play great defense for the next five games, I'm in for keeping him. If we play bend but don't break and these ****ty teams are running up and down the field, then Joe must go! 

I'm open to it going either way. 

what we've seen imho is increased emphasis on pass rush, we've used more base front, 3 down lineman and 2 up, and we either rush all 5 or drop Smith, that has helped coverage because the QB has to get rid of the ball and our rookie CB's are not stuck trying to cover longer

It's taken Barry 40 games to finally realize stronger pass rush is better then playing soft zone prevent and watching teams small ball us with both run and pass wearing out the defense.

Barry is coaching for a contract now, I bet more went on then we know concerning the trade of Rasul, since his departure Barry has went to more base front and more man coverage, and the results have been positive, I think Lafleur lay it on the line with Barry, make changes or forget a future here, I surely would have, jmo

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Everybody here is saying it's not about points per game, it's about style points. Honestly, with the rest of our schedule, it will be interesting if they can actually dominate the teams they are supposed to. There isn't a decent offensive unit among out last five game. 

Love to see Barry turn it up another notch and just dominate all of them. 

It's put up or shut up time.  These next 5 games with just one team at .500 (Queens) and the other 4 under, time for Barry and his defense really shine.  If this defense shuts them down I'll give Barry some slack and reconsider his job status for the future.  I fully expect this team to win 4 out of 5 and the defense to do their job.  No soft zones, get aggressive up front on the rush, stop the run - show me Joe Barry you can adapt and do the job.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:40 AM, Brit Pack said:

how many other DCs do this and whether it is just a typical approach to 3rd and really long situations

Probably all of them... I think the problem a lot of people have is that they just sit there and watch Green Bay and wonder "why are we doing this?"

But it's really HARD to complete a 20-yard pass in the NFL. Generally if you drop into a soft zone, prevent the long ball and keep everything in front of you. You're going to succeed in those situations. For all everyone lcomplains about prevent defenses. It's pretty rare. A team marches up the field with 4 20-yard completions... It's a grind.

I think this strategy is something that works most of the time, even though it's frustrating to watch. It just becomes head-exploding when it doesn't work

56 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Probably all of them... I think the problem a lot of people have is that they just sit there and watch Green Bay and wonder "why are we doing this?"

But it's really HARD to complete a 20-yard pass in the NFL. Generally if you drop into a soft zone, prevent the long ball and keep everything in front of you. You're going to succeed in those situations. For all everyone lcomplains about prevent defenses. It's pretty rare. A team marches up the field with 4 20-yard completions... It's a grind.

I think this strategy is something that works most of the time, even though it's frustrating to watch. It just becomes head-exploding when it doesn't work

the only fail with this is that unless the opposing offense screws up, they can and have sustained long drives against Barry, even if they don't score points, your defenses wears down, one of the reasons we fail to win is that we can't hold a lead in the last parts of games, imo making a offense fight for every yard has better results.

I get your point in that less big chunk plays should amount to more wins, but only if ya can also limit the run and short ball passing, other wise your offense can't get on the field, your defense is gassed, and ya go home dejected😉

Edited by turf toe

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If Saleh does become available, I'm firing Barry and getting him. The clown Saleh was texting with may have helped Johnson decide Saleh's fate. 

If we wind up replacing Barry with Saleh, it’s prolly going to happen in 2025.  Saleh is going to get a pass for this season due to Rodgers’ injury. Despite the recent drama and ****ty season, firing Saleh would assuredly antagonize Rodgers and who knows what card he pulls (threatening retirement, demands to be released or traded) if that happens.  Barring a defensive collapse down the stretch, Barry has likely saved his job for this year at least.