Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Hopefully LaFleur is now at a point where he wants a defensive expert at DC so he can then focus his full attention where it should be .. on his young offense.  Needs someone he can turn the defensive side of the ball over to and then get out of his way.

I'm not going overboard with how much time MLF has been designating to the defense. Problems arose during the year and the standard post game comments ran along the lines of "We're looking at that.....we've got to get that corrected...." and the problems persisted. So if he was truly looking at it.......it wasnt working.

The problem's Barry and his schemes (which he seems reluctant to change a great deal - now - on the field talent limitations cant be denied. Our roster's not as deep in tried and true talent as years past. It is what it is.

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It always has been happening is always happening and always will be happening that Joe Barry hoists the Lombardi trophy for the 20th consecutive season.

In that multiverse Joe Barry must be the guy who polishes the Lombardi before handing it off to the Commissioner to award to the winning team. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wouldn't hate it if he was our next DC.  I know his scheme might be falling out of favor, but he's smart enough to know what he needs to do when something isn't working.  Like the great communicator part and holding guys accountable.

At the end of the day, every scheme is designed to work against any offense. Joe Barry’s defense is predictable and the alignments are often losing before the snap is even taken. The Fangio system may be “figured out” but there are plenty of schemes that have been around longer than it that have been “figured out” - a good coach knows what to do situationally and with disguise/multiplicity to prevent that from being a hindrance. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

The identity of this team has been built to be great on offence, average on defence and rubbish on special teams. It's just who we are, no coach will change that. Coach Rich is one of the best in the biz and we are still wank. Unless we sign a Reggie White type, tone setting leader, we are who we are. No new coach changing that

We're not even average on defense.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're not even average on defense.

I would say historically we are. And until two weeks ago we were as well.

I just think it is a DNA thing that flows through a culture and team and is built over time. Ravens always been great on defence same with Seattle, same with the Niners. Vikes always go for 1st round receivers and they pretty much all become HOF type studs. Bills always bottle it. Bears always suck.

Certain teams just are good at certain things and even to get to that stage is rare. Regardless of coaching and even players they just have a mindset to develop those types of player positions and qualities.

Until a player comes along and resets that, I feel teams have identities and value those attributes and look to protect them.

With us we value QB play and development of that, will go out and get it even if not required. Regardless of Rodgers and Love, we went and also drafted Brohm, Flynn, Brooks, Hasselbeck, Brunell etc. Most go on to be something in the League as I'm sure Clifford will as well.

We always invest in Oline men and typically draft a lot of them and develop them well.

We take WR's in the 2nd round and seem to always hit gold. 

I just think teams have their strengths and mindsets and I'm convinced within two seasons if not sooner we'll be the top offence in the NFL. However, regardless if we spend another 8 1st rounders on defence I don't think we'll be a top 5 defence, unless we bring an out of the organsation game changer ala White or Woodson type. We don't grow that mindset and DNA within the building.

Mike Daniels alludes to some of this in Tyler Dunne's podcast

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I just think it is a DNA thing that flows through a culture and team and is built over time. Ravens always been great on defence same with Seattle, same with the Niners. Vikes always go for 1st round receivers and they pretty much all become HOF type studs. Bills always bottle it. Bears always suck.

Certain teams just are good at certain things and even to get to that stage is rare. Regardless of coaching and even players they just have a mindset to develop those types of player positions and qualities.

Until a player comes along and resets that, I feel teams have identities and value those attributes and look to protect them.

With us we value QB play and development of that, will go out and get it even if not required. Regardless of Rodgers and Love, we went and also drafted Brohm, Flynn, Brooks, Hasselbeck, Brunell etc. Most go on to be something in the League as I'm sure Clifford will as well.

We always invest in Oline men and typically draft a lot of them and develop them well.

I just think teams have their strengths and mindsets and I'm convinced within two seasons if not sooner we'll be the top offence in the NFL. However, regardless if we spend another 8 1st rounders on defence I don't think we'll be a top 5 defence, unless we bring an out of the organsation game changer ala White or Woodson type. We don't grow that mindset and DNA within the building.

not to disagree necessarily, but I think the biggest reason Capers was not able to retain his top 5 defense of 09 and 2010 was mostly do to losing talent, and draft misses, his defense where wiped out with injuries, losing all starting talent from key position groups, mainly CB's, and went with minimal talent at others such as ILB and safety.

to say Ted was bad as a defensive position drafter would be a under statement, but thats true of a lot of GM's, specially if that GM is always picking late rounds as Ted was, however imho defensive players are harder to draft, it's said by some that offense is a technique needed skill set, defense instinctive, the opinion is that one your sorta born with the other is taught and learned, if that is true ( and to a degree I think it is) then  defenders with that gift would be harder to find. jmo

Edited by turf toe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Sorry my Brit friend, this is a world of what have you done for me lately.  The past 2 years has been nothing but an big time failure on Barry's part.  He had a big time 2nd chance this year to upgrade his thinking/scheme when MLF retained him.  Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed since last year's defense.  They still suck on rushing defense, he plays the Fangio pass  soft zone keep the play in front of you defense where there isn't a team in the top 10 defenses playing it any more.  The past number of years defense have indeed been average at its very best.  The draft picks have been there year after year to improve the defense and it just hasn't happened.  Barry has had his chances and failed .. time to move on to another D coach with an aggressive, kick *** attitude.  It's time .. it's just time.

• Like 1