Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

At some point, you also need to tip your hat to Goff who had quite the game. Dude was dropping dimes against some decent coverage. 

and the lions in general, they're going to be in the mix for the 1 seed this year.  Partly because the NFCN has a nice schedule line-up this year

7 hours ago, KFP7 said:

and the lions in general, they're going to be in the mix for the 1 seed this year.  Partly because the NFCN has a nice schedule line-up this year

Yup, the Lions have had very high draft choices for years and the Goff trade paid off handsomely.  They hit on a "new" gm and head coach that has provided stability and toughness.  They will have to make a run for a nice playoff run this and next year as the NFL also stands for not for long.    

Edited by coachbuns
  • Like 1

I hardly know where else to put this mini rant. The Lions loss put me in a funk.

I really like Matt LeFleur’s offense in those rare instances that it gets employed successfully for more than three plays.

I do not doubt that our players are good enough to compete for division championships. I just think there is a disturbing lack of coordination within the coaching ranks. I don’t think it will get better. Joe Barry is part of it, yes. But the fact that he is still here is the most visible evidence that LeFleuer, whether through incompetence or front office interference, cannot control the moving parts. Penalties, lack of emotional discipline, lack of coordination between the differing elements of offense and defense—the team is really kind of embarrassing. And I don’t want to hear about no injuries. Everybody deals with that better than we do with less talent.

It won’t get better because management will blame labor all day long. 

Against Saints, Brooks got more snaps than Wyatt.  Usage was back to Clark-Wyatt-Slaton as primaries, with Brooks 4th, although Brooks remained well ahead of Wooden for the 2nd straight week. 

DL usage was up to 2.57 DL/play, up from 2.37.  

On 10/5/2023 at 9:28 AM, Uffdaswede said:

I hardly know where else to put this mini rant. The Lions loss put me in a funk.

I really like Matt LeFleur’s offense in those rare instances that it gets employed successfully for more than three plays.

I do not doubt that our players are good enough to compete for division championships. I just think there is a disturbing lack of coordination within the coaching ranks. I don’t think it will get better. Joe Barry is part of it, yes. But the fact that he is still here is the most visible evidence that LeFleuer, whether through incompetence or front office interference, cannot control the moving parts. Penalties, lack of emotional discipline, lack of coordination between the differing elements of offense and defense—the team is really kind of embarrassing. And I don’t want to hear about no injuries. Everybody deals with that better than we do with less talent.

It won’t get better because management will blame labor all day long. 

Barry simply has to go. The players are constantly out of position/alignment is constantly poor. I don't get the sense that Barry has a lot of ideas of his own or a real passion. He comes across as a spot-filler. A guy with a bunch of binders from someone else's defense trying to play a game of telephone. We are, I think, still one of the premiere franchises in the NFL until we have enough losing seasons to prove otherwise. We deserve a real NFL DC. 

Capers wasn't appreciated enough. He was the best DC we've had by a country mile since Fritz Shurmur 

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

All I know is that the longer we hold on to Joe Barry the more it sets the organization back.  He wastes talent, plain and simple.  

Yep. Even if the Love and his receivers turn out to be great, it's hard to see Packers getting to the level of Eagles and 49ers (and maybe Lions) with Barry as DC. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, MacReady said:

If our philosophy is to get players to fit the scheme rather than have some one who can scheme for the players they have, this is going to be another in a line of bad coaches.

I couldn't agree more. I am assuming most good coaches have a preference for what they'd like to do, but also truly good coaches can make chicken salad out of (relative) chicken mess as far as figuring out what a player can do well and putting them in position to do it

Like that one poster said a few pages back, I think it was planned to have Barry as DC this year and then 2024 when we're alot more attractive of a destination with cap space and draft capital that we go after a hot candidate. Jim Leonard, Saleh, Dennis Allen, any one from the Niners defensive tree. There should be a handful of good candidates.