How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, Chali21 said:

there’s also no way that Carr was going to come back in 2024 after how his season ended. He was done with the Raiders after the Pittsburgh game. So there was no running it back with him in 2024. Dude believes he can take a team to the Super Bowl. 

He and his family do act like he's one of the elite dudes in the league and I think we were done with him after that game, not vice versa. 

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He and his family do act like he's one of the elite dudes in the league and I think we were done with him after that game, not vice versa. 

he could have hit the check down and was a broken tackle away from big yards with 3 TOS. 

I don’t want to get into the Carr bashing or Carr supporting and battles with posters…. 

but the issue i wanted to discuss was:

Despite not performing on the field last year, I don’t think it’s debatable that Carr is NOT capable from an intelligence standpoint of calling an audible, especially with the HC giving him a limited set to work from.

So… does anyone remember instances where Carr audibled last year?

Does no one else see a problem with a HC not allowing a veteran QB of calling audibles?   the playcalling wasn’t great last year.  Below average in my opinion.  I do think Carr’s inability to make throws and execute within McDaniels system played a partial role in that.  I don’t think it’s a secret or just my jaded opinion that McDaniels has had “ego” issues in the past, whether they still exist is up for debate.
How can an offense run at peak effectiveness without the ability to audible?  The playcall McD makes might not be conducive to what the defense is showing at the LOS.  The QB is suppose to just snap the ball and run the play no matter what?  

what im really getting at is that it was bad enough McDaniels did not make changes to the offense to make Carr more efficient during the season.  It seemed to me he would rather have Proof of Carr’s inability to execute then compromise to what he could execute.  
McDaniels could have traded Carr when he started.  But he said he evaluated Carr and thought he’d be a fit.  If McD misjudged Carr’s effectiveness in “his” offense that’s troubling to begin with.  The same guy was part of drafting Tebow in round 1 to be his franchise QB and got rid of a 3rd year, Pro Bowl QB in Jay Cutler (note: while Cutler never reached his potential when he was traded away he was an up and coming star QB).  But if he couldn’t recognize this until several weeks into the season, (and why didn’t play Carr all preseason) that Carr wasn’t going to work, let alone he played him all season there’s a concern about his ability to adapt the offense to what he has and his ability to evaluate properly what personnel he does have.  

Can McDaniels properly evaluate Stroud and Levis’s ability to be successful in his offense?  Will McD be willing/able to make adaptations to his offense to suit the QBs strengths and weaknesses?  Certainly there’s more tape of Carr then Stroud and Levis.  Will McD ruin the mental development of a young QB openly criticizing his faults?  Will he hold steadfast to the believe “if only the QB would operate the system as I laid out then we’d win/he’d succeed”?  Obviously you have to have a system and it must be executed correctly to succeed but if you are to stubborn to adapt it there’s dire problems.  I’m very concerned about this with McD.  How does everyone else feel?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t want to get into the Carr bashing or Carr supporting and battles with posters…. 

but the issue i wanted to discuss was:

Despite not performing on the field last year, I don’t think it’s debatable that Carr is NOT capable from an intelligence standpoint of calling an audible, especially with the HC giving him a limited set to work from.

Does no one else see a problem with a HC not allowing a veteran QB of calling audibles?   the playcalling wasn’t great last year.  Below average in my opinion.  I do think Carr’s inability to make throws and execute within McDaniels system played a partial role in that.  I don’t think it’s a secret or just my jaded opinion that McDaniels has had “ego” issues in the past, whether they still exist is up for debate.
How can an offense run at peak effectiveness without the ability to audible?  The playcall McD makes might not be conducive to what the defense is showing at the LOS.  The QB is suppose to just snap the ball and run the play no matter what?  

what im really getting at is that it was bad enough McDaniels did not make changes to the offense to make Carr more efficient during the season.  It seemed to me he would rather have Proof of Carr’s inability to execute then compromise to what he could execute.  
McDaniels could have traded Carr when he started.  But he said he evaluated Carr and thought he’d be a fit.  If McD misjudged Carr’s effectiveness in “his” offense that’s troubling to begin with.  The same guy was part of drafting Tebow in round 1 to be his franchise QB and got rid of a 3rd year, Pro Bowl QB in Jay Cutler (note: while Cutler never reached his potential when he was traded away he was an up and coming star QB).  But if he couldn’t recognize this until several weeks into the season, (and why didn’t play Carr all preseason) that Carr wasn’t going to work, let alone he played him all season there’s a concern about his ability to adapt the offense to what he has and his ability to evaluate properly what personnel he does have.  

Can McDaniels properly evaluate Stroud and Levis’s ability to be successful in his offense?  Will McD be willing/able to make adaptations to his offense to suit the QBs strengths and weaknesses?  Certainly there’s more tape of Carr then Stroud and Levis.  Will McD ruin the mental development of a young QB openly criticizing his faults?  Will he hold steadfast to the believe “if only the QB would operate the system as I laid out then we’d win/he’d succeed”?  Obviously you have to have a system and it must be executed correctly to succeed but if you are to stubborn to adapt it there’s dire problems.  I’m very concerned about this with McD.  How does everyone else feel?

In terms of audibles and only audibles:

2019 and 2020 were Carr's strongest years back to back, and 2021 likely would have continued that trend if not for Waller getting banged up and Ruggs doing what he did and the rest of the myriad of issues we faced. Early 2021 results were promising though. 

But let's just look at 2019 and 2020. Anyone remember the silent stadium games of 2020? Carr and Hudson were practically calling audibles and communicating endlessly. Almost comical levels of communication. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gruden and Olsen oversaw Carr's best run and were also open about giving Carr that freedom. 

Not to say a coach is right or wrong to do either, but I can see where issues could arise when you have QB that's used to freedom to operate and just plug him into the opposite way of doing things. 

Remember the questions about Rodgers and LeFleur co-existing? The offense ran a lot smoother once LeFleur stopped being pedantic. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 3

This topic,"is McD on the hot seat"?  All you guy are talking about is Carr.  We should be talking about McDumb___.  I have to be careful about colorful language as I was warned about something and the moderator wouldn't tell me what I said.

Am I pissed with JMD? What's his plan for a new QB?  Does he have one?  Did he have one and it evaporated? They gave Carr this contract which allowed him to leave due to the amount.  Now a bunch of teams want him and we got nothing in return.  As I am RN4L I tolerate this or maybe it's because I have season tickets and have no choice.  It's the latter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yes. Several and OC Lombardi said he had the ability to check out of plays as well. 

Does no one else see a problem with a HC not allowing a veteran QB of calling audibles?

I think this entire argument is lacking context. We're hearing one side of this from his brother. 

When the QB in this case is struggling to run the basic offense and is afraid to take a hit letting a play develop, hard to not trust the coach.

But he said he evaluated Carr and thought he’d be a fit.  If McD misjudged Carr’s effectiveness in “his” offense that’s troubling to begin with.  The same guy was part of drafting Tebow in round 1 to be his franchise QB and got rid of a 3rd year, Pro Bowl QB in Jay Cutler (note: while Cutler never reached his potential when he was traded away he was an up and coming star QB).  But if he couldn’t recognize this until several weeks into the season, (and why didn’t play Carr all preseason) that Carr wasn’t going to work, let alone he played him all season there’s a concern about his ability to adapt the offense to what he has and his ability to evaluate properly what personnel he does have.  

One thing to evaluate the players fit in your offense and then see him run it. I saw a lot of instances and it's been broken down by various people where WRs are schemed open, but Carr was checking down to avoid contact. Carr does not want to a hit and that's been his problem since college. 

Cutler sucked, so I see no fault in that trade. Often wonder what it would have been like had he landed Cassel like he'd hoped. Even then, he took Orton from an 81 to a 90 QBR in his offense in Denver. 

Will McD ruin the mental development of a young QB openly criticizing his faults?

Mac Jones said he's like a father to him and they are really close. If the QB wants to take his ball and pout in the corner when he's crticized as Lincoln Kennedy said of Carr.... then yeah, probably ruin him. 

But a young QB who wants to be great and coached up (Mac Jones) may take to this. A vet thinking he's entitled because he's been there a long time, not so much apparently. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

In terms of audibles and only audibles:

2019 and 2020 were Carr's strongest years back to back, and 2021 likely would have continued that trend if not for Waller getting banged up and Ruggs doing what he did and the rest of the myriad of issues we faced. Early 2021 results were promising though. 

But let's just look at 2019 and 2020. Anyone remember the silent stadium games of 2020? Carr and Hudson were practically calling audibles and communicating endlessly. Almost comical levels of communication. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gruden and Olsen oversaw Carr's best run and were also open about giving Carr that freedom. 

Not to say a coach is right or wrong to do either, but I can see where issues could arise when you have QB that's used to freedom to operate and just plug him into the opposite way of doing things. 

Remember the questions about Rodgers and LeFleur co-existing? The offense ran a lot smoother once LeFleur stopped being pedantic. 

Worth noting here, Carr is always mediocre his first year in a system. They let him off leash more as he settled into the system. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Worth noting here, Carr is always mediocre his first year in a system. They let him off leash more as he settled into the system. 

Most QBs are that way. 

I believe it was you that mentioned Matt Cassel. Good point there- I always thought Cassel could've gone further than he did. Todd Haley had a way of stifling QBs and KC was a bit of a clown show at the time. Based on what they'd shown up to that point, gotta say Cassel > Orton for sure. Idk that it would have made a huge difference in the grand scheme of things because Cassel just wasn't that guy, but it would've been interesting to see. 

Just goes to show that some coaches really can derail a guy (Todd Haley, Brian Schottenheimer, etc) and time will just pass them by before they ever get a legit chance to settle in. A better coach than Todd Haley and the wheels not falling off, Cassel probably sticks around KC at least a few more decent years before going on his league tour. Really should have had more than just the two memorable years. 

• Like 1