How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

As I've said for years, Carr is not the problem, but far from the solution. Don't pay average, that was the mistake. 

I think this sums it up. 

You can win with Carr but you will not win thanks to Carr. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

To be fair though, Dave Ziegler and Josh McDaniels were with the Patriots when they decided to move on from him without a strong plan to replace him. Burrow, Herbert, Tua, and Love were all FRPs in 2020 and they passed on the chance to draft Love or trade up for one of the other three. They actually traded back, tried to address other holes, rolled with Newton/Stidham for a year, and then drafted Mac the following year.

yeah, I mean by all means, if JMD and DZ brings in 5 or 6 SBs here, ill give them the benefit of the doubt. . . and jsut say they are smarter than me, so i trust the plan. 

12 hours ago, Roninho said:

I think this sums it up. 

You can win with Carr but you will not win thanks to Carr. 

And even then it's difficult to win with Carr because he ensures that you're going to have one of the worst red zone offenses in the league and turn it over a ton.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, BackinBlack said:

Clearly Carr shouldve hit Renfrow open against Pitt. It was a bad throw, that I am sure Carr wishes he couldve thrown again. . . 
but lets not forget there was 20-30 mile per hour wind that night too. 

some acting like this is an easy throw, are just purely hating on Carr. Which is fine, but Im guessing have never played a sport in extreme wind.

Lots of reasons to hate on Carr, just always find the particular plays people rip on weird. 

There were missed throws all over the field that night.

16 rushing attempts in that game is silly to me, but, I understand we dont criticize JMD right now, only Carr. 

The reality is anyone can pick out one throw that any QB makes good or bad and define them by it(especially when they play for your team)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The reality is anyone can pick out one throw that any QB makes good or bad and define them by it(especially when they play for your team)

But that being Carr's final throw in a must win game certainly reflects how the rest of his career went here. 

30 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I know. I just find it funny the specific plays people bring up. 
like the 4th down when down 15 plus, or picks with little time left. 

why does no one ever show plays of him, throwing it 5 yards OB on a deep ball, or a massive lob that gets caught where if he put some zip its a td, etc. 
There is a lot of legit reasons to attack Carr as a QB. . but our fanbase tries to attack him for the weirdest things, ie 

hes not a true competitor if he goes to NO, that would show hes soft.
will complain he doesnt throw into coverage. . . then post his int in tight coverage
complain about his arm strength, when weve seen him throw a good deep ball. 

• Like 1

The thing people hate most about Derek Carr is the fact that he isn't Patrick Mahomes (the player, not the person).  He's a good/great QB that ended up stuck with a crappy defense (and like 4 HCs, 6 OCs, some of the worst DCs ever).  And to really mess up his chances at being liked, he ended up stuck in a division with a generational/future HOF QB and a HOF HC.  

If we're being serious here we all know the only way we are ever going to become relevant again is if we develop a top 5 defense and find the next Joe Burrow/Josh Allen/Patrick Mahomes/Tom Brady.  Herbert caliber isn't enough.  Lamar Jackson caliber isn't enough.  Russell Wilson most certainly isn't enough.  If we don't have a top 5 QB, we don't have a chance at winning this division or a SB as long as Andy Reid and P. Mahomes are playing/coaching in the NFL and KC is in our division.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

The thing people hate most about Derek Carr is the fact that he isn't Patrick Mahomes (the player, not the person).  He's a good/great QB that ended up stuck with a crappy defense (and like 4 HCs, 6 OCs, some of the worst DCs ever).  And to really mess up his chances at being liked, he ended up stuck in a division with a generational/future HOF QB and a HOF HC.  

If we're being serious here we all know the only way we are ever going to become relevant again is if we develop a top 5 defense and find the next Joe Burrow/Josh Allen/Patrick Mahomes/Tom Brady.  Herbert caliber isn't enough.  Lamar Jackson caliber isn't enough.  Russell Wilson most certainly isn't enough.  If we don't have a top 5 QB, we don't have a chance at winning this division or a SB as long as Andy Reid and P. Mahomes are playing/coaching in the NFL and KC is in our division.

Now I do not agree with using the word great in regards to Carr but he was an above average QB.  I do however 100% agree with the idea that we were going nowhere with Carr or a QB the caliber of Carr.  We needed to take a chance on improving.  We could improve the entire team around Carr or we could try to improve on Carr.

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Now I do not agree with using the word great in regards to Carr but he was an above average QB.  I do however 100% agree with the idea that we were going nowhere with Carr or a QB the caliber of Carr.  We needed to take a chance on improving.  We could improve the entire team around Carr or we could try to improve on Carr.

We still need to improve a lot of the team around whatever QB bring in, even Rodgers. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This isn't an "or" option.  We have to improve both to compete against KC.  Period.  We need a better team/roster with a better QB.  The Eagles had a better QB than DC with a much better roster (arguably the best roster in the league) and still lost (damn you Jalen Hurts and your fumbling for six!).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geezy said:

We still need to improve a lot of the team around whatever QB bring in, even Rodgers. 

If you bring in a top QB, hypothetically an elite QB is available for trade, it will cost a lot in cap and draft capital.  We would have very little to improve the team.  Our option would be to improve the coaches.  Say what you want but I would take Reid and his staff everyday of the week.  If you could replicate Mahomes and Reid on any team in the league they become a strong playoff team.  Enough to win like they do in KC?  Probably not but if you switch that combo with ours the Raiders are a better team.  Chiefs would be a 5th-7th seed playoff team.  Now you can go the other way and build the team up and hope to draft a good QB so you have a lot of assets while the QB is on a rookie deal.  We could be a playoff team with the chance to make a run some years but we would have to be smart and draft well.  Chances of us drafting an elite QB are small because there are just not than many to make it a likely situation.  So yes we want to improve everything but we have to choose where we want to allocate resources for the close to a sure thing as possible.

Elite QB plus getting lucky on cheap FAs and non 1st round players

or

High end FAs and high draft picks while trying to get lucky with a QB

On 2/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jerry said:

The thing people hate most about Derek Carr is the fact that he isn't Patrick Mahomes (the player, not the person).  He's a good/great QB that ended up stuck with a crappy defense (and like 4 HCs, 6 OCs, some of the worst DCs ever). 

I think people were more ready to move on because he has proven that he's ineffective in the redzone (can't go for 30+ TD), can't play in the cold weather, and struggles down the stretch basically every season.