Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

Just now, Old Guy said:

Aren't you the one who wanted Clowney? Isn't he on one of the teams not mentioned in post above? 

I think there are a few other teams who will be selling or potentially selling at the trade deadline as well. Detroit for one. I think Chicago might but who do they have to trade? Roquan Smith? 

There are a few rando vets competing teams will dump, but we need to stop with WRs on winning teams, or ones who just signed contract extensions. Not happening. 

Claypool, Golladay, Toney, Slayton, Agholor, Marvin Jones, Tyler Lockett.

Id say that is the entirety of your WR trade market there.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Tyler Boyd?  I think there's a chance there.

In general, I think the players who get dealt in-season meet some of the following criteria, which Boyd doesn't really fall into.

1) Disgruntled player

2) Lack of a defined role on the existing team

3) Highly paid player on an underperforming team looking to rebuild for 2-3 years down the line (future salary transaction)

4) Overpay for a replaceable player due to injury at the arriving team (Sam Bradford)

5) Existing team has a new staff/GM who wasn't a part of the original player's draft process

6) Player returning from injury who has been replaced 

👍

Boyd 3rd choice so they may be open to trading for a pick?

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If a player does not play for the following teams, please do not create any scenarios of trading for them as they aren't for sale: Steelers, Texans, Panthers, Falcons, Commanders, Giants (only if their last names are Golladay, Slayton or Toney), Seahawks, Jaguars, Dolphins (if their last name is Gesicki). 

Agreed.  Only exception to this are player for player trades between two competitive teams that have soured on the players or have really acute needs due to injury/poor development

Like I could see a Melvin Gordon for Cam Akers trade any day now.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

what is your point?  Of course it's more than we got for Davante Adams.  Adams left at a discount he wasn't under contract...

No GM in the league would trade Pittman for Davante Adams straight up with contracts in hand.

You understand when you trade for Pittman, he's going to get a new contract after this season and he's going to want Adams money or more. 

NOBODY thought Adams left for a discount. Including @Packerraymondwho laughed at people who thought we'd get any more than 1st round pick for him. 

Your compensation is ridiculous by any measure. 

Just now, ukfan said:

👍

Boyd 3rd choice so they may be open to trading for a pick?

I still think you'd have to overpay, and while Boyd is a pretty good slot receiver, the Bengals know that too and they value him.  He's basically a starter on any NFL team.

So unless you have a player that the Bengals really want, It's gonna be a big overpay to pry a starter away from a team that was in the SB last year.

It would take a 1st and a 2nd for me to unclog my ears about Boyd if I'm the Bengals.

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what is your point?  Of course it's more than we got for Davante Adams.  Adams left at a discount he wasn't under contract...

No GM in the league would trade Pittman for Davante Adams straight up with contracts in hand.

Packers had placed franchise tag on Adams. He was under contract. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

You understand when you trade for Pittman, he's going to get a new contract after this season and he's going to want Adams money or more. 

NOBODY thought Adams left for a discount. Including @Packerraymondwho laughed at people who thought we'd get any more than 1st round pick for him. 

Yeah, I'm not gonna bicker about this fantasy land anymore.  you have a tendency to pick fights about the minutiae that don't matter and then redirect the conversation to oblivion.

Pittman can want a new contract all he wants, and he will get one, but the fact that he has another year left on his rookie deal in 2023 at a favorable term just makes him cheaper by definition than veteran top WRs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

Packers had placed franchise tag on Adams. He was under contract. 

Yeah, that's true.  Functionally though he was gone from the Packers because of their cap situation, we just didn't know it yet.  And the Franchise tag plus his all-pro status makes his contract way more than someone like Pittman who is still on a rookie deal.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You're wrong there. I traded him in a mock for multiple 1sts ?.

It's not ridiculous. The Bears would trade Roquan for a 1st, to Green Bay, we'd probably have to pay 2 1sts and other picks. When a player is unavailable, you must pay a ridiculous fee to make him available. 

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If a player does not play for the following teams, please do not create any scenarios of trading for them as they aren't for sale: Steelers, Texans, Panthers, Falcons, Commanders, Giants (only if their last names are Golladay, Slayton or Toney), Seahawks, Jaguars, Dolphins (if their last name is Gesicki). 

The best trade options at WR, and somewhat GB favorable compensation I see happening is:
2nd for Brandin Cooks
3rd for Chase Claypool (though it may take more)
2nd for DJ Moore
5th for Toney
6th for Slayton
Receive a 2nd to take Kenny Golladay (a joke, sort of)
4th for Curtis Samuel
2nd for Terry McLaurin
1st and a 2nd for Kyle Pitts

Other players:

1st for Brian Burns

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

The best trade options at WR, and somewhat GB favorable compensation I see happening is:
2nd for Brandin Cooks
2nd for DJ Moore
5th for Toney
6th for Slayton
4th for Curtis Samuel
2nd for Terry McLaurin

Other players:

1st for Brian Burns

Cooks, McLaurin and Moore would all take a 1st + as their teams would need to eat so much new extension salary. Therefore I highly doubt they are on the market.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

2nd for Brandin Cooks
2nd for DJ Moore
5th for Toney
6th for Slayton
4th for Curtis Samuel
2nd for Terry McLaurin

Other players:

1st for Brian Burns

i suspect we move a 2nd for claypool

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're wrong there. I traded him in a mock for multiple 1sts ?.

It's not ridiculous. The Bears would trade Roquan for a 1st, to Green Bay, we'd probably have to pay 2 1sts and other picks. When a player is unavailable, you must pay a ridiculous fee to make him available. 

I distinctly remember you saying nobody would give us 2 -1st for Davante. If that is inaccurate my apologies. 

I never said Green Bay was trading for Roquan. I listed other teams that may be selling before the deadline. I have no interest in Roquan when we just invested in Walker and Campbell. Not to mention Barnes is coming back at some point and McDuffie is not bad. None of those players may be Roquan, but he has his baggage. 

Edited by Old Guy

Marvin Jones another possibility. Last year of contract. He is 32, tall, was fast coming out of college, might want a shot to play for a contender, only been to the playoffs once, gives Rodgers some maturity and experience. A kind of deal where the player has to push for it. Has a reputation as a good player and person

• Like 1