Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

9ers gave up a 2nd, 3rd, 4th in 2023 plus a 5th in 2024 for Christian McCaffery. Seems like a lot for a RB who can't seem to stay on the field. 

If the NFL starting to turn into the NBA where they place little to no value on draft picks? I hope the other 31 teams do except the Packers. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

9ers gave up a 2nd, 3rd, 4th in 2023 plus a 4th in 2024 for Christian McCaffery. Seems like a lot for a RB who can't seem to stay on the field. 

If the NFL starting to turn into the NBA where they place little to no value on draft picks? I hope the other 31 teams do except the Packers. 

More and more teams are going the route of the Rams .. giving up draft picks for proven players to win now.  It did work for them but it seems that was more of an outlier than the norm.  Will be interesting to see which theory works; give up picks for big help now or keep the picks for young and cheap players.  

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

9ers gave up a 2nd, 3rd, 4th in 2023 plus a 4th in 2024 for Christian McCaffery. Seems like a lot for a RB who can't seem to stay on the field. 

I think this move is the Niners coming to the conclusion that this year is their last year contending for a bit. When they go back to Lance, they've already seen that he's not ready and is going to struggle for a season or 2. Niners have already proven they can go on deep playoff runs with Jimmy G so they are taking their shot. 

I wouldn't ever give up that much for an often hurt RB, but maybe we should pause on overly criticizing the extremely aggressive moves by Lynch and Snead every year given their playoff records (including 3 SB appearances in the last 4 years) compared to ours, a team that never does anything at the trade deadline...

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think this move is the Niners coming to the conclusion that this year is their last year contending for a bit. When they go back to Lance, they've already seen that he's not ready and is going to struggle for a season or 2. Niners have already proven they can go on deep playoff runs with Jimmy G so they are taking their shot. 

I wouldn't ever give up that much for an often hurt RB, but maybe we should pause on overly criticizing the extremely aggressive moves by Lynch and Snead every year given their playoff records (including 3 SB appearances in the last 4 years) compared to ours, a team that never does anything at the trade deadline...

Two of those appearances were prior to them changing philosophy and giving up all of their draft capital so that actually matters in the discussion. 

Not to mention the 49ers injury situation currently with so many guys out. 

To give all of those picks up for an often-injured RB with a whole lot of tread worn off the tires seem desperate to me. 

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

More and more teams are going the route of the Rams .. giving up draft picks for proven players to win now.  It did work for them but it seems that was more of an outlier than the norm.  Will be interesting to see which theory works; give up picks for big help now or keep the picks for young and cheap players.  

George Allen used to do that in the 70's when he was with Washington. He had a great record, but only made it to the Super Bowl once, where he lost. OTOH, using the opposite approach, GB hasn't done much better. Maybe the road to success runs down the middle?

I don't know...not sure...but....I can see where the 49ers feel like they are that RB away from winning it all.

If they are healthy, they have the o-line.  They have the defense.  They have the weapons at WR and they have a game manager at QB.

They didn't give up all that much.  

Not only will CM3 help the run game, he will also be a great pass option for Garapollo when he wants to revert back to Check Down Jimmy.

Also...this could take RB snaps away from Deebo and keep him fresher.  So when he gets a carry or two, he's more explosive.

Imagine this...Deebo and CM3 in the game at the same time.  Christian starts in the back field, then motions out to WR when Deebo comes into the backfield to take his place.  Shanny is going to be like a mad scientist scheming stuff for those guys.

I think this is a case where it would have been a terrible trade for us to do, but a good trade for the 49ers.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Does it really move the needle a ton? Are two Deebo's better than one? Still have Jimmy G and a vulnerable IOL and secondary.

Yes.  It moves the needle.  Quite a bit.

If CM3 is healthy.  

Check Down Jimmy is going to love him as an option.   And with that Shanny run system, he's going to be a huge weapon.

This moves makes Jimmy G better.  His IOL stays the same and so does the secondary.  

• Like 1