How long until the Chiefs need to consider benching Alex Smith?

tonyto36

I honestly have only seen a few of the chiefs earlier games when Smith was balling out. What’s been the difference?

seemed like they were taking a lot more shots downfield, maybe once teams adjusted to this “new” Chiefs offense the magic was gone? Could be way off, only saw a couple of their early games

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I feel like Mahomes even more than any QB selected in the past 3 drafts (maybe except Paxton Lynch) has one of the steeper learning curves to overcome.

He's basically a more athletic Dak. I think he'll be ok. He looked great in the preseason and his running around will help create big plays to Tyreke. I thought Mariota was more raw as a passer than Mahomes. I bet the KC running game, or at least Kareem Hunt, takes off again if Mahomes starts.

13 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I honestly have only seen a few of the chiefs earlier games when Smith was balling out. What’s been the difference?

seemed like they were taking a lot more shots downfield, maybe once teams adjusted to this “new” Chiefs offense the magic was gone? Could be way off, only saw a couple of their early games

Kareem Hunt was literally playing on the level of Jim Brown is why.

18 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Alex struggles hard against a Cover 2 defense

Pretty embarrassing honestly 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:02 PM, domepatrol91 said:

Pittsburgh played pure zone against us and Alex struggled immensely. Teams have since picked up on this, and any team that can even somewhat competently play a cover 2 zone is throwing him severely off his game.

12 hours ago, Malik said:

Kareem Hunt was literally playing on the level of Jim Brown is why.

That really hasn't changed that much, and isn't the cause of Alex's decline. Alex's decline is his own thing, and that has caused teams to be able to key in on Hunt more. Alex has caused Hunt's statistical regression, not the other way around.

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That really hasn't changed that much, and isn't the cause of Alex's decline. Alex's decline is his own thing, and that has caused teams to be able to key in on Hunt more. Alex has caused Hunt's statistical regression, not the other way around.

In the first 3 weeks your OL was creating some big holes and generally looking dominant as well. Now the OL looks just sorta average when I watch. That's the biggest change I've noticed. Your OL in the first 3 weeks looked like the 2016 Cowboys. 

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

In the first 3 weeks your OL was creating some big holes and generally looking dominant as well. Now the OL looks just sorta average when I watch. That's the biggest change I've noticed. Your OL in the first 3 weeks looked like the 2016 Cowboys. 

Defenses are also playing us differently.

Stack the box, send a couple blitzes, and play zone.  Will stop the run, Alex gets happy feet and doesn’t like throwing into zones.  Until Alex learns how to throw into zones, that is how every team should play us.

Early in the year teams were playing a ton of man, which with the speed we have left plenty of separation for Alex to be comfortable throwing.  Aside from the Pats that’s how most teams played us early on, and well the Pats front 7 was so awful at that point I’m not sure it mattered.

Alex shouldn’t be benched, but he needs to start pushing the ball into zones and get back to pushing it downfield.  Hunt and the OL cant do much when defenses don’t respect us more than 10 yards downfield.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Pittsburgh played pure zone against us and Alex struggled immensely. Teams have since picked up on this, and any team that can even somewhat competently play a cover 2 zone is throwing him severely off his game.

They're starting to disguise it well now too, got him all kinds of messed up.

Combine that with only a semi-decent arm in bad weather and bad things are happening

Archived