Is Geno Smith a Franchise Quarterback Now?

brownie man

Is Geno Smith a Franchise Quarterback   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is Geno Smith now a franchise quarterback?

I've watched every Seahawks game this year and I still don't know if what Geno is doing is sustainable. The offense looks...good? Geno looks...good? I just can't explain it. This offense never looked this good even during Wilson's prime, and when I say "good" I mean "functional". Wilson's prime was a lot of off-script plays mixed in with perfect PA and good running. This offense is Geno making legit throws and a modern passing scheme behind a good offensive line (again, Seattle with a good offensive line is foreign language to me) and running game.

I wouldn't say he's a franchise QB, but I certainly think the Seahawks should continue rolling with Geno for the next 2-3 years on the tail end of his career.

• Like 5

Coming into the year, I thought Seattle would have like 3 wins all season and be vying for a top 3-5 pick. After seven weeks, they're sitting at first place in the NFC West.

Geno Smith is definitely not a franchise QB, but he is a good player who should probably be a starter somewhere or a really high level back-up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

He’s the surprise of the year

is his play right now legit? And is this sustainable?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this when a career below average player comes in and lights the league up. 

Seattle looks good man. Could Geno really be a franchise qb?

You don't remember Rich Gannon? Or Steve Beuerlein 1999? :)

Geno is playing great, and if that wasn't enough probably has the tightest, most beautiful spiral in the league right now. But he might just be having an outlier year. I hope it's an outlier year. :(

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've watched every Seahawks game this year and I still don't know if what Geno is doing is sustainable. The offense looks...good? Geno looks...good? I just can't explain it. This offense never looked this good even during Wilson's prime, and when I say "good" I mean "functional". Wilson's prime was a lot of off-script plays mixed in with perfect PA and good running. This offense is Geno making legit throws and a modern passing scheme behind a good offensive line (again, Seattle with a good offensive line is foreign language to me) and running game.

I wouldn't say he's a franchise QB, but I certainly think the Seahawks should continue rolling with Geno for the next 2-3 years on the tail end of his career.

I think it’s very possible Wilson’s style of play while nice on the highlight real and stat sheet, caused more problems in actually accomplishing the task at hand the last few years and having a more conventional QB who can just listen to the orders is paying off. Maybe Seattle and Carroll weren’t as crazy as they were made out to be 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I think it’s very possible Wilson’s style of play while nice on the highlight real and stat sheet, caused more problems in actually accomplishing the task at hand the last few years and having a more conventional QB who can just listen to the orders is paying off. Maybe Seattle and Carroll weren’t as crazy as they were made out to be 

Yeah it's pretty easy to see this now especially with Wilson's struggles in Denver and Geno's success running virtually the same offense as Russ but actually being able to work the middle of the field and play inside the pocket a bit better.

Didn't realize he was 32 already.  Franchise QB probably not but man he's playing great.  It's like a lightbulb just went off this year.

Their team stinks pretty bad especially defensively but maybe they can pull something together and make a run over the next few years if he can play like this.  Issue is it may take a few more years to rebuild the team and Geno will be 35.  He could play at this level for another 4-5 years possibly.

Yes, the key word being "now".  He is being underestimated, has one of the best WR pairs in the business, fine coaching, and everyone on the team has something to prove.  That's a powerful combination.

Can Geno sustain it?  I think he'll avoid collapse this year, earn another opportunity in 2023, and spare the team investing a top pick in a replacement.  He and Kenneth Walker III have been glorious surprises.

9 hours ago, showtime said:

Coming into the year, I thought Seattle would have like 3 wins all season and be vying for a top 3-5 pick. After seven weeks, they're sitting at first place in the NFC West.

Geno Smith is definitely not a franchise QB, but he is a good player who should probably be a starter somewhere or a really high level back-up.

Yeah, but they've only played one of their four games against SF and LAR, and they got absolutely spanked by SF in that game.