Week 9 Gameday Thread - Green Bay Packers (3-5) at Detroit Lions (1-6)

Striker

27 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

hard to call it an error. it was a poorly executed on purpose.

it is the equivalent of going behind the back in beer pong when  you can just throw it normal. chicks dig it

error in reading the defense.  if it was intentional, that makes it far worse

1. Can their be any possible reason Rodgers doesn't make this throw other than he just doesn't like certain guys?

2. I'm a Deguara homer, but unless someone goes through and determines if this is a rare occurance we have no idea how well he'd be looking with a competent QB.  This is one of those easy 15 yard pickups over the middle we always complain aren't there for us. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

1. Can their be any possible reason Rodgers doesn't make this throw other than he just doesn't like certain guys?

2. I'm a Deguara homer, but unless someone goes through and determines if this is a rare occurance we have no idea how well he'd be looking with a competent QB.  This is one of those easy 15 yard pickups over the middle we always complain aren't there for us. 

When he threw the ball away and you can see how much open room there was. He was BEYOND OPEN. I LOL'd

31 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Rodgers is physically all there, but mentally he is finished.  Does he not see him...does he not trust him...does he not trust what he sees.  Something is wrong.  This wasn't the only play like that in that game.  Its like his confidence is shattered.  Rodgers has always been cautious which is normally a good thing.  But there is definitely something wrong.  I wish the Packers media would ask him about these plays and what he was / was not seeing and why he made the decisions he made.  He's openly questioned the rest of the team about their mental mistakes...well what about his.

2 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

probably a TD if he hits him in stride

I get it that a quarterback is not going make make every read.  That they are going to miss open receivers.  No quarterback is perfect.  But at $50 million per year, he has to be a lot better than average in seeing those reads and routes.  Is he at this point?  I don't know.  But its a disturbing trend.  I've watched the all-22 from some of the previous games and I'm seeing the same thing.  Open receivers winning on routes and Rodgers looking in that direction but not throwing it. 

I think when he had Adams, his confidence in him to win routes early caused Rodgers to throw the ball on time before the opening closed.  Now he's hesitating...a tick or two late and the opening closes before the ball gets there.  The trust factor seems to be missing from him.  The receivers are not very good, but they are not as bad as the media or we think they are.  They are winning on routes so LeFleur's offense is working to get people open, Rodgers is just not seeing or trusting what he sees.  So while we do need improvement from the receivers in making adjustments in their routes to what the defense is doing, Rodgers has to own some of this too.

I was appalled when I saw the interception in the Lions game on the pass that was intended for Tonyon.  He stared down the receiver and threw it a tick late.  But after the play he was openly blaming Tonyon yelling "Come On Bobby" for his route. I will say it looks like Tonyon lacks explosiveness right now and that he is a step slow due to the ACL recovery.  Maybe Tonyon could have made his route crisper and shallower, but even then, the throw is a tick late and he is staring at him which the safety picked up on and baited him to throw it.  The receivers need to get better, but he has to improve too.

Rodgers is still a lot better than Love, but we need more out of him or we need to move to Love and see what he has in the last 5 games of the year as I expect to lose the next 3 games and be 3-9.  I don't trust Love's accuracy or his decisions at the moment, but the decision making should improve with reps and getting more game action.  The accuracy....I don't know if he will ever have it.  But we need to find out fast by the end of the year.  If he doesn't have it and we finish 4-13, we should be drafting in the top 5 somewhere.  Thank goodness we did not give up our second round pick before the trade deadline to pick up a receiver.  It's rebuild time with potentially a $50 million quarterback still on our team next year. 

59 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Rodgers is physically all there, but mentally he is finished.  Does he not see him...does he not trust him...does he not trust what he sees.  Something is wrong.  This wasn't the only play like that in that game.  Its like his confidence is shattered.  Rodgers has always been cautious which is normally a good thing.  But there is definitely something wrong.  I wish the Packers media would ask him about these plays and what he was / was not seeing and why he made the decisions he made.  He's openly questioned the rest of the team about their mental mistakes...well what about his.

its possible that what Rodgers thinks he is going to get pre snap differs from what he gets post snap and reconciling those 2 differences causes him to freeze on pulling the trigger on some throws.  SF did that a bunch in the play off game and it worked very well.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

its possible that what Rodgers thinks he is going to get pre snap differs from what he gets post snap and reconciling those 2 differences causes him to freeze on pulling the trigger on some throws.  SF did that a bunch in the play off game and it worked very well.

Drives me nuts that almost EVERY snap is down to the play clock expiring.  He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but really what he's doing is allowing the defense to time everything out.  It's like giving the snap count to the defense, they know when it will be snapped and are better able to disguise what they're doing. Rodgers thinks he's playing chess but he's at the checkers board.

Maybe he lost his mental edge by 'experiencing' his hallucination drugs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Drives me nuts that almost EVERY snap is down to the play clock expiring.  He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but really what he's doing is allowing the defense to time everything out.  It's like giving the snap count to the defense, they know when it will be snapped and are better able to disguise what they're doing. Rodgers thinks he's playing chess but he's at the checkers board.

Maybe he lost his mental edge by 'experiencing' his hallucination drugs.

that has been an issue with running the play clock trying to get into the perfect play vs what the defense is showing.  Teams know it and will continue the cat-mouse game late in the play clock.  leads to potential delay of game, burning timeouts and allows the defense to get a jump on the snap.