Ravens Trade for Bears ILB Roquan Smith

AFlaccoSeagulls

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

We have 3 LB’s who were first round picks, one FA LB making 15M a year and a 3rd round LB on the bench. We are 2-6.

Yeah but there’s a history of the ravens investing in LBs and being successful. Same with Pittsburgh. Yet Cleveland does the bare minimum. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

For a 2nd and 5th? I know they have to pay him, but the Bears have picks and cap space already?

He already asked for a trade earlier this year. The Bears just traded his best friend to the Eagles and got a 50 burger basically put on them 4 days later.

I'd imagine tensions were high, past few days between the two sides.  In otherwords,  they knew Ro would never resign, like ever! 

• Like 1

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

He already asked for a trade earlier this year. The Bears just traded his best friend to the Eagles and got a 50 burger basically put on them 4 days later.

I'd imagine tensions were high, past few days between the two sides.  In otherwords,  they knew Ro would never resign, like ever! 

I understand that but man a late 2nd isn't exactly stellar compensation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Only thing guaranteed,  is a potential FTag next year, No? Not sure with Lamars impending $500M contract coming, adding another FA needing to get paid was ideal?

Great LB, it's definitely the Baltimore thing to do, just curious why?

There's room to pay other good players even with a 40-50M QB on the cap. We don't have anyone else who would be looking at a top of the market contract in the next couple years.

What's most interesting to me is that they can't tag both of them. They must feel good about getting at least one of the Lamar or Roquon deals without the threat of the franchise tag.

17 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

IIRC, the Bears have had cap space just havent used it. Also IIRC, the they should have all their picks back.

We have cap space now but the most dead cap money in the league....even Quinn we are paying his salary the rest of the year. Im pretty sure we are still paying Foles. Noext year we have the MOST cap space in the league and a QB in Fields.

Roquan is a good player but wants max money and is his own agent( a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client).....literally the Ravens traded a 2nd and a 5th for the opportunity to overpay a guy.

The Bears got worse for sure, but this falls in line with what we are doing. The Bears essentially have a fully blank slate with a franchise QB. Almost like an expansion team type of thing. Its interesting.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

yeah that's by far the biggest critique. This move does nothing to put this team over the hump.

That, plus I don’t view the Ravens as the team that’ll overspend at the deadline. I can’t imagine they’d trade their 2nd + 5th for a LBer, and then either their 1st or maybe 3rd + 4th, for a WR. Might be looking to free agency, but I’m not sure who’s out there other than OBJ. Same week you lose Bateman for a few weeks too.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

That, plus I don’t view the Ravens as the team that’ll overspend at the deadline. I can’t imagine they’d trade their 2nd + 5th for a LBer, and then either their 1st or maybe 3rd + 4th, for a WR. Might be looking to free agency, but I’m not sure who’s out there other than OBJ. Same week you lose Bateman for a few weeks too.

Mark Andrews is also nursing knee and shoulder injuries, too.